Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city for a video game setting
new york city: grand theft auto, max payne, teenage mutant ninja turtles, ... 11 19.30%
l.a.: grand theft auto, midnight club, vampire the masquerade - bloodlines, ... 20 35.09%
chicago: watch dogs, perfect dark, ... 4 7.02%
washington, d.c.: fallout 3, payday 2, ... 2 3.51%
miami: grand theft auto, hotline miami, ... 13 22.81%
boston: fallout 4, the last of us, assassins creed 3, ... 3 5.26%
san fransisco: watch dogs 2, driver, carmen san diego, ... 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
Los Angeles definitely takes the cake here but to me Grand theft Auto 4 didn't do any justice for New York at all.

They liked L.A so much that they made San Andreas and Grand theft auto 5 about that city.

I think NewYork and San Francisco would blow every other city out the water if they made games based on a post apocalypse setting or a horror story.
They did such an incredible job with LA in GTA V I'm willing to bet that's one of the main reasons LA is winning this poll. It might even be the best city recreation in video games of all time.

GTA IV was already almost a decade ago (wow ) and technology has come a really long way since then. I think they did a good job given the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
They did such an incredible job with LA in GTA V I'm willing to bet that's one of the main reasons LA is winning this poll. It might even be the best city recreation in video games of all time.

GTA IV was already almost a decade ago (wow ) and technology has come a really long way since then. I think they did a good job given the times.

GTA V make me fall in love with Los Angeles

Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM

149 posts, read 113,384 times
Anyone know what video games were made about Chicago ?

Wonder why grand theft never took a shot at the windy city.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Watch Dogs was the most recent and probably most famous. Also fairly close to GTA in gameplay, but obviously wildly different in tone and financial backing. I remember playing Driver 2 back in the day (and Cruisin USA while we're at it), but that's much more of a racer. I think one of the most recent Hitman games did Chicago very well--I remember a mission where I had to blend in with a crowd in Chinatown, and another section was on top of the El.

I think Chicago's video game probably is, outside of the El, it doesn't offer anything from a gameplay perspective that NYC doesn't. And NYC does the claustrophobic, buildings on all sides better than anywhere else in this country. Those canyons provide for a myriad of gameplay abilities, from sniping to jumping to tight racing to web slinging. Landmarks don't do much for a video game unless you can either climb them, or destroy them. Very few games provide for landmark destruction in a third person, GTA format (unscripted). That's probably why LA is winning this poll because, from a gameplay perspective, it's varied topography offers the most. You've got water, skyline and mountains all in one package.

Although, who knows? They finally got Spiderman out of New York for two movies straight now (and on the Washington Memorial!), so maybe this is the era where video games also subvert tropes and truly branch out of the box. I'd love to see a destructible sand box game in Chicago a la the Transformers movie (maybe incorporate LA Noir elements as well), or a military shooter in the city. I think the city would also lend itself well for a stealth game, or zombie outbreak.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,791 times
Call of Duty was set in Los Angeles as well and i think that's one of the best selling games of all time.

Internationally there should be more games set in London and Tokyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City