Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city for a video game setting
new york city: grand theft auto, max payne, teenage mutant ninja turtles, ... 11 19.30%
l.a.: grand theft auto, midnight club, vampire the masquerade - bloodlines, ... 20 35.09%
chicago: watch dogs, perfect dark, ... 4 7.02%
washington, d.c.: fallout 3, payday 2, ... 2 3.51%
miami: grand theft auto, hotline miami, ... 13 22.81%
boston: fallout 4, the last of us, assassins creed 3, ... 3 5.26%
san fransisco: watch dogs 2, driver, carmen san diego, ... 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:11 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,148 times

Advertisements

based on this:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...harecters.html

what are your favorite video game settings; what games make you feel you are actually in that place.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-10-2017 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: i should've listed true crime and l.a. noire for l.a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,719,138 times
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NYC? lol

Tom Clancy's The Division is based on NYC. That's one of the more recent popular games that came out based on a city.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:16 PM

1,023 posts, read 916,089 times
I voted for LA. You just cant beat those sunny skies filled with palm trees and the simulated neighborhoods in the hills. Plus in the video game you can actually get from the hills to the ocean in a matter of minutes. The newest installation of the 'Mafia' franchise was set in New Orleans. It was a surprising how much of a breath of fresh air that was. I really enjoyed all of the different neighborhoods they used, along with local accents and incorporation of bayous and swamps along with river boats

Last edited by mpier015; 07-10-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 04:55 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,423,995 times
New Orleans: Mafia 3, The Crew...

I'm going with LA though.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
There needs to be a poll option for Bikini Bottom. Battle for Bikini Bottom was my shiznit back in the day!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,226,299 times
NYC is my personal favorite because I'm from there and I love the familiarity. There's something really fun about exploring your own city/hometown in a video game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NYC? lol

Tom Clancy's The Division is based on NYC. That's one of the more recent popular games that came out based on a city.
I was also going to suggest The Division as a NYC example. GTA 4 was great, but a little outdated. The Division is the most recent NYC video game I can think of. They did a really good job. Here's a comparison of some spots in the video game to real life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTbIDHzRzno

The thing I do love about GTA 4 though is that it focused on the entire city while The Division is just a little slice of Midtown Manhattan and an even smaller bit of Brooklyn.

Edit: there's also a new Mario game coming up I saw set in NYC which looks... interesting. Something I never would've expected. I'm not sure how accurate it'll be though. But I did see the Empire State Building, Chrysler building, and even the Brooklyn Bridge which was cool.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,807,059 times
I would go with Miami for this one. GTA: Vice City is one of my favorite video games ever and the best of the GTA series. The game has the feel of an episode of Miami Vice back in the mid-80s when Miami Beach was flooded with massive amounts of drug money.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:34 PM

And that reminds me, there was a Sonic game that I loved as a kid set in San Francisco. They did a really amazing job with the setting as they incorporated all the hills and the Golden Gate into the courses.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,184,824 times
^^Speaking of which, I'm gonna go with San Francisco here. Nothing like tearing up those hills in a fast car! Driver is one of my all time favorites, and I wish they gave it a proper remake for this generation--or at least have GTA go back to "San Fierro".

Old 07-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
^^Speaking of which, I'm gonna go with San Francisco here. Nothing like tearing up those hills in a fast car! Driver is one of my all time favorites, and I wish they gave it a proper remake for this generation--or at least have GTA go back to "San Fierro".
Yeah, San Francisco would have to be my second choice. I found clips from the Sonic game I mentioned earlier.

Here one level that incorporates the hills into it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCs42XSwI-c

And here's one with the Golden Gate. And if you pay attention to the background you can see the TransAmerica building there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzZC-VvP9c

Obviously it's not the most realistic game, but it's still clearly San Francisco and the setting really helps make the levels fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City