Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Food Capital of the South?
New Orleans 67 50.76%
Houston 32 24.24%
Dallas 0 0%
Atlanta 18 13.64%
other 15 11.36%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times

Advertisements

I think a compelling case can be made for Austin as a food capital. Austin is considered a foodie city. I would venture to guess there are more restaraunts in Austin, per capita than any city in the country.

Austin is widely known as having some of the best TexMex, and best barbecue found anywhere in the country and in Texas. The current trend of food trailers started in Austin and I would bet there are more food trailers and trucks in Austin than any city in the country.

Fajitas were invented in Kyle, Texas, an Austin suburb, and they got famous at the Austin Hyatt and then started to spread thru out the country.

I would have voted for Austin if it had been a choice. Since Austin is not a choice, I'll vote for Houston. Some of the best chefs in Austin came from Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 07:30 AM

617 posts, read 551,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, as we draw from the entire region. People from every corner of the South have moved here, and they brought their tastes with them.

Exactly, Atlanta, just like any major city, will draw from their overall regions. For some to say they have had better food in smaller towns and therefore Atlanta doesn't compare is just foolish though. I have been to many little mom and pop places spread throughout the Metro and I am sure these establishments can easily compare with places you will find in smaller rural areas. Many people from these small towns across Georgia are moving to Atlanta too and opening up eateries. I can't understand how folks will completely rule out the tons of smaller independently owned restaurants in the Atlanta area just because they had good food at one or two places in Small town, USA.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM

527 posts, read 319,697 times
New Orleans. It has not only the best food in the South, but would put it with the best food anywhere in the country.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think a compelling case can be made for Austin as a food capital. Austin is considered a foodie city. I would venture to guess there are more restaraunts in Austin, per capita than any city in the country.

Austin is widely known as having some of the best TexMex, and best barbecue found anywhere in the country and in Texas. The current trend of food trailers started in Austin and I would bet there are more food trailers and trucks in Austin than any city in the country.

Fajitas were invented in Kyle, Texas, an Austin suburb, and they got famous at the Austin Hyatt and then started to spread thru out the country.

I would have voted for Austin if it had been a choice. Since Austin is not a choice, I'll vote for Houston. Some of the best chefs in Austin came from Houston.
Austin is a niche city for food. Good BBQ, TexMex, and some creative dishes, but not well rounded enough to be considered a food capital IMO.

My vote (which pains me to do this) goes to Houston. Houston is definitely the most well rounded, while New Orleans has probably the best regional cuisine. Atlanta and Dallas play second fiddle to Houston and Austin plays second fiddle to New Orleans.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,294 times
Yea the poll is pretty spot on in this one. On another note, I've lost a significant amount of weight since leaving New Orleans, now living in Atlanta lol

Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Wow, poor Dallas. Not even one vote lol. I think all are great, but I have to agree with Chilly Gentilly

Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Not food capitals, but worth mentioning: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ies/669715001/

Old 09-19-2017, 12:58 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Wow, poor Dallas. Not even one vote lol. I think all are great, but I have to agree with Chilly Gentilly
It's definitely within the top 5 in the South, no questions asked. But it's tough to beat the variety of offerings in Houston and unique, regional cuisine of New Orleans.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:07 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Charleston SC

Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's definitely within the top 5 in the South, no questions asked. But it's tough to beat the variety of offerings in Houston and unique, regional cuisine of New Orleans.
There are other cities more deserving to be in the top 5 than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City