Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,385,754 times

Advertisements

Two cities surrounded by beautiful mountains. Two conservative cities but which would he more receptive to a non-believer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:25 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,890,609 times
Colorado Springs is not dominated by a single religion. Also, as opposed to Provo, the Springs is has one of the lowest church attendance figures in the country.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs is not dominated by a single religion. Also, as opposed to Provo, the Springs is has one of the lowest church attendance figures in the country.
Last time i went to Colorado Springs i found it extremely conservative, similar to places like baton rouge and Birmingham

Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,400,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Last time i went to Colorado Springs i found it extremely conservative, similar to places like baton rouge and Birmingham
I've never been to Baton Rouge nor Birmingham, so if you could define what these similarities are like in that regard, I'd appreciate it. Having just returned from a trip to central Florida, IMO, Colo Spgs is not conservative like what I experienced as southern conservative while in FL. Any grocery store I stopped in had religious magazines posted in the checkout lanes and book stores had numerous Bible chapter analysis books for sale prominently displayed in entry ways. Churches and guns&ammo stores were prolific and could be easily found even in smallest, blip on the map towns. None of this is found in Colo Spgs.

Now Colo Spgs does headquarter numerous global evangelical organizations, however, I think it is important to note that none of these developed, organized, and grew up here. They aren't home grown and they all relocated here from other places for many of the same reasons individuals would want to move here.

I also think there are some considerable differences between Provo and Cos; Provo is 120,000 people that is 85% white. Cos is 465,000 people that is 78% white. Cos military population means we have a high number of Asian and European expats and a higher percentage of mixed race people than even Denver.

Provo's biggest employers are BYU (3rd largest private university system in the nation) and healthcare. Cos largest employers are military, high tech, tourism, and healthcare. Military infrastructure in Cos means it has world class telecommunications networks right under many poeple's feet.

Many of Provo's art and cultural events revolve around or are conducted at LDS facilities. Many of Cos art and cultural activities revolve around the granite monolith to the west of the city known as Pikes Peak, which has driven the city to develop 1000s of acres of open space and 1000s of miles of trails within and around the city for outdoor recreation. Cos also attracts global competitors who come to train and play at the Olympic Training Center or participate in either the Pikes Peak Hillclimb (auto race) or Ascent(marathon race).

Also, Provo's proximity to I-15 means it has a great transportation infrastructure. Cos really lags in this regard and only recently approved expansion efforts on northern I-25. It is easily 10+ years behind the curve in this regard. If it matters at all, Provo also has a unified school district running all primary and secondary education. Cos has dozens if different districts all running things slightly differently.

The LDS church focus of Provo means there is a high degree of civic pride and things seem to be very well taken care of and clean looking. Cos has a much more transient population who is passing through, even as regular residents and not homeless. Speaking of which, Cos seems to be dealing with a growing and visible homeless population. I find conflicting info on Provo's homeless on whether it is going up or down.

There would need to be a bit more info about what else you want in a community than great mountains and acceptance as a non-believer to know which would fit best for you. Cos does have huge swaths of the city that are far from conservative, such as the older central and western neighborhoods, as well as the overtly conservative areas on the north end around the mega churches. I've also known some LDS Church members who are very accepting of non-believers and you could probably live among them quite nicely.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM

I don't want to quote your long answer, but my experience when i was in CS was like everyone was part of a church group and very family oriented. Not saying that's bad. They joked about Denver being a misfit in Colorado for being way too liberal. Also they were not pro hemp.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Two cities surrounded by beautiful mountains. Two conservative cities but which would he more receptive to a non-believer?
I'm going to just throw out a suggestion for your consideration. Salt Lake City is also surrounded by beautiful mountains but has a considerably larger non-Mormon presence than Provo. It's conservative by most standards but nowhere near as conservative as Provo.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 PM

603 posts, read 933,119 times
Colorado Springs isn't surrounded by mountains.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,717,233 times
I don't believe Colorado Springs is as conservative/religious as Provo. Even with a more conservative leaning culture, Colorado Springs still brings in all different types of people due to the military presence and touristy nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Colorado Springs isn't surrounded by mountains.
That's true. But having mountains in city limits and large hills throughout the city kinda make up for it imo. Areas like this are in the middle of the city. Beautiful either way!
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9206...8i6656!5m1!1e4
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9101...8i6656!5m1!1e4

Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Surely you must be joking? Is this sarcasm? Colorado Springs is like the center of American Evangelical Christianity, the unofficial headquarters. There are mega churches all over the area. The surrounding community is extremely politically conservative. The only people that I know who chose to move to Colorado Springs without a tie to the Air Force Academy are a family of lunatic evangelicals. Church attendance in Colorado Springs has to be among the highest in the nation.

Provo is pretty bizarre. It's a city dominated by a large university. The social environment can be stifling, but the Latter-day Saints are more sincere, affluent, intellectual, and socially adept than Evangelicals. I don't want to generalize or be too harsh, but that is my perception, and probably the perception of most others.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:48 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,536,517 times
I like the size of Colorado Springs better, but Provo is good too........Just because these areas may have a high percentage of church attendance doesn't mean they're not receptive to non-believers. That's just an unfair, biased stereotype. Nearly anywhere in the country, if you not a jerk, you can find your niche and get along with others, even other of differing beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City