Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to? (You can choose more than one)
New York 25 25.00%
Chicago 30 30.00%
Boston 19 19.00%
Seattle 21 21.00%
San Francisco 22 22.00%
Austin 16 16.00%
Boulder 18 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:07 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah2016 View Post
Thank you
Here are the locations
New York: Brooklyn
Chicago: Evanston
Boston: Cambridge
San Francisco: Marina
Seattle: Downtown
Austin: Downtown
Boulder: Central Boulder

My only concern about Chicago is its terrible winter. I heard that it’s even worse than Denver\Boulder!
Ok, then all of your work locations are in walkable areas. But in Boulder and Austin you will be isolated and not easily connected to other walkable areas or destinations. I'd eliminate those two. The other five are definitely walkable and with the exception of Evanston put you right in the thick of things (depends where exactly in Brooklyn and Cambridge). But no doubt they will be vibrant and convenient to lots of things. Only Evanston is a bit out of the way, but it is a nice, walkable town in its own right. Approx a 20-30 min train ride to popular trendy northside neighborhoods and a little over an hour to the CBD.

You are correct, winter in Chicago is no joke, but I am from FL and adapted easily when I lived in Evanston. (to be fair I personally like cold weather more than hot) Also note that Boston is about on the same level. If weather is going to be a concern, then take a look at your salary and living options in SF and see if you can actually swing it. The weather there would be my favorite of all your options...it is fairly mild all year round. But my brother-in-law lives there and pays $2500 for a bedroom with a shared bathroom. In a house with 4 other people who are all doctors or engineers like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:53 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I'd say Chicago. To me, just the best of the mega metros. Tons to offer and lower cost of living. I know you said COL wasn't a huge factor, but why pay more for the same things, even if you can "afford it"? Not challenging your statement, to each his own. I just think "Bang-for-the-Buck" is good for anyone in any income range. It's a rule I've lived by all of my life that's allowed me to live a lifestyle that I wouldn't have been able to do so otherwise.

Most any place in the U.S. (or any Western nation) will be open to immigrants if they're not jerks.

I have no idea what people mean when they say "vibe" on here. It's a very open-ended buzz word.

Good luck in your search and hope things go well for you.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Wow envious position! Is there a COL adjusment? For me:

NYC
SF
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Austin
Boulder

In that order. Maybe flip Boulder and Austin. Weather great here in Denver!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:16 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Thank you
Here are the locations
New York: Brooklyn
Chicago: Evanston
Boston: Cambridge
San Francisco: Marina
Seattle: Downtown
Austin: Downtown
Boulder: Central Boulder

My only concern about Chicago is its terrible winter. I heard that it’s even worse than Denver\Boulder!
So!

I love each and every one of the options. I'd prefer downtown Chicago to downtown Boston, as it offers more option with equal walkability. For that very reason, I'd certainly prefer Cambridge to Evanston, and I'd prefer Brooklyn to both Cambridge and Evanston. The marina is amazing for obvious reasons. Great mix of saturated housing and waterfront.. it's a great neighborhood, and chestnut st. Provides enough restaraunts and nightlife to keep you happy.

As for Seattle, it's not my first choice. Some incredible beauty, but it never felt vibrant enough for my taste. Not nearly as much foot traffic and happenings as a Chicago, NYC, Boston, San Fran. Austin is fricking sweet, but it's a bachelor party town for me, not one I'd want to inhabit for good. Just my opinion.

I'd go Brooklyn or Marina, followed by Cambridge, and Evanston.

Visit the rest

Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM

375 posts, read 332,023 times
Based on your criteria, I'd stick to NYC/Boston/San Francisco/Chicago and to choose between these, I'd look into career options, networking potential, and starting salary (always go for the highest salary for your first job in your career path).

I can't imagine Austin/Boulder/Seattle will be the best place for your career (whatever it is). And they're not particularly walkable or urban either.

If I were you, I'd probably pick NYC. NYC is the best place to launch a career (generally speaking) and it will have everything you're looking for in a city. Also, I saw you raising some concern about Chicago's weather.... More or less, NYC/Boston/San Francisco/Chicago all have what I'd consider bad weather, to varying degrees. So I wouldn't let weather enter into your calculus at all.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Winter in Chicago is markedly colder than Denver. Winters here in Denver really aren't that bad. It's not tropical by any means, but it's not a frozen mess for three months, either. We have plenty of 50-60 degree days (and even an occasional 70 degree day) in January and February. Additionally the snow doesn't stick around for months on end. I did plenty of hiking on dry trails this past February and March.

When it comes to Austin, I'll take a Denver winter over a Texas summer any day of the week.
Well Chicago isn't THAT bad. It can and does get very cold, and it snows (not as much as people would think, a foot of snow at once only happens every few years) but it warms up enough to the 40's and sometimes 50's/60's here and there (last February it was 60's and even 70 for almost a week straight) enough that the snow doesn't stick around more than a week or 10 days at a time.

But yes, Denver definitely gets more warm snaps than Chicago.

I'm a professional who moved to Chicago 17 years ago and I still LOVE it, I can't imagine myself anywhere else, it's a great city. For the cost of living and relatively high wages, if you're a white collar person working downtown you can live a very comfortable lifestyle here with a lot of perks and a big bonus for me is you don't have to mess with a car.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
HELP! My job is offering me to work in one of these following cities.

- New York
- Chicago
- Boston
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Austin
- Boulder

I have to list them all in order of preference, but it seems that everyday I change my list ! So any insight\advice to consider or avoid a certain city will be appreciated.

*I am 32 y/o male (single)
*My job is well-paid so ‘cost of living’ is not a major factor for me.
*I enjoy walkable places
*Vibe is basic
*Having more things to do is a major thing as well as the beauty of the city
you provide 0 insite into what the industry is which is probably the most important factor as far as opportunities go. if its finance then obviousely n.y.c.; if its education then boston; if its software then san francisco; if its healthcare/health sciences then boston again; ...

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-15-2017 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 02:53 PM

9 posts, read 8,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
you provide 0 insite into what the industry is which is probably the most important factor as far as opportunities go. if its finance then obviousely n.y.c.; if its education then boston; if its software then san francisco; if its healthcare/health sciences then boston again; ...
I agree that it's dependent on vertical. Finance could be any city though, not sure if it's necessarily NYC alone. Chicago has a huge finance influence with quite a bit of opportunity.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 12,946 times
Thank you guys. Every reply here was really helpful.

Here are more insights and questions

- Some of you pointed out that having a ‘well-paid’ job doesn’t necessarily mean that I won’t struggle in a place like SF. I think you guys are right, and I should consider the cost of living after all. I wonder how expensive Boston is, comparing to Brooklyn, since I only hear about NYC and SF but not Boston

- Reading the replies and looking at the poll, Chicago seems to be very popular. But I’m still concerned about its winter, as well as Boston. More insights would be appreciated.

- Heard a lot of good things about Austin: culture, food, music, nightlife, friendly laidback people.. etc. I would really like to hear more opinions about the town.

- When it comes to the beauty of the city, Seattle seems to be the winner. However, I heard that Seattle Freeze is real! I am single, immigrant, and a very social person. Which makes me think twice about moving to there.

- Currently I live with other people in a nice small house with a yard. I was told to forget about finding something similar to this if I’m moving to Brooklyn as it will be always an apartment.

- Since Boulder is the smallest town on the list, I wonder if it seems boring with fewer things to see and do to people who lived there? Also is it true that people in Boulder are either White rich people or college students?

Thank you

Last edited by Noah2016; 12-15-2017 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
Definitely New York, Boston or Chicago IMO. SF is overrated and extremely expensive. Boulder isn't a contender with any of these cities and Austin is not as nearly as walkable and you wont get the big city vibe you are looking for.

New York isnt laid back by any means, so if that is a deal breaker I'd say either Chicago or Boston. However, NY is a world class city that is HUGE, and does have a fair share of neighborhoods in Brooklyn/Queens that are very close to the downtown areas, but are away from the "rat race" feel.

Brooklyn: Bay Ridge, Park Slope, Sunset Park
Queens: Astoria, Ridgewood, Sunnyside, Woodside, Rego Park, Forest Hills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City