Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to? (You can choose more than one)
New York 25 25.00%
Chicago 30 30.00%
Boston 19 19.00%
Seattle 21 21.00%
San Francisco 22 22.00%
Austin 16 16.00%
Boulder 18 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:48 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightleftmiddle View Post
I agree that it's dependent on vertical. Finance could be any city though, not sure if it's necessarily NYC alone. Chicago has a huge finance influence with quite a bit of opportunity.
chicago has more finance opportunities than n.y.c. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah2016 View Post
Thank you guys. Every reply here was really helpful.

Here are more insights and questions

- Some of you pointed out that having a ‘well-paid’ job doesn’t necessarily mean that I won’t struggle in a place like SF. I think you guys are right, and I should consider the cost of living after all. I wonder how expensive Boston is, comparing to Brooklyn, since I only hear about NYC and SF but not Boston

Thank you
i think boston is currently #3 in the nation for most expensive 1 bedroom rental (behind san francisco and washington, d.c.) according to recent redfin poll; n.y.c. was #4.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times
Quote:
HELP! My job is offering me to work in one of these following cities.

- New York
- Chicago
- Boston
- San Francisco
- Seattle
- Austin
- Boulder

I have to list them all in order of preference, but it seems that everyday I change my list ! So any insight\advice to consider or avoid a certain city will be appreciated.

*I am 32 y/o male (single)
*My job is well-paid so ‘cost of living’ is not a major factor for me.
*I enjoy walkable places
*Vibe is basic
*Having more things to do is a major thing as well as the beauty of the city
Even if cost of living is not much of an issue, an extra 10k or 20k per year of disposable income is considerable. Will they pay you the same amount no matter which city?

If yes, then choose Austin. It is very cool, not freezing cold or gloomy, and the extra money you will save will add up.

If they will pay you more to move to an expensive city, then you might enjoy NYC the most provided that you can stomach the cold.

If, like me, you would choose poverty over winter given the choice, San Francisco might be a good option.

Boulder would be fun if you are into drugs, which I personally am not, but I respect adults decision to partake. Legal pot has made Boulder an attractive destination for some people.

Chicago and Boston really have no draws for me, and Seattle is very cool but too gloomy.

My personal order:

1) Austin
2) San Francisco
3) Boulder
4) NYC
5) Seattle
6) Boston
7) Chicago

Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Will they pay you the same amount no matter which city?
Yes

Quote:
Seattle is very cool but too gloomy.
I heard that people in Seattle are day-people, so the city gets very gloomy when its dark except in a small district for nightclubs

Quote:
My personal order:

1) Austin
2) San Francisco
3) Boulder
4) NYC
5) Seattle
6) Boston
7) Chicago
Thank you! Can I ask why Chicago is at the bottom of your list. Is it only about its terrible winter?

Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:

- Some of you pointed out that having a ‘well-paid’ job doesn’t necessarily mean that I won’t struggle in a place like SF. I think you guys are right, and I should consider the cost of living after all. I wonder how expensive Boston is, comparing to Brooklyn, since I only hear about NYC and SF but not Boston

- Reading the replies and looking at the poll, Chicago seems to be very popular. But I’m still concerned about its winter, as well as Boston. More insights would be appreciated.

- Heard a lot of good things about Austin: culture, food, music, nightlife, friendly laidback people.. etc. I would really like to hear more opinions about the town.

- When it comes to the beauty of the city, Seattle seems to be the winner. However, I heard that Seattle Freeze is real! I am single, immigrant, and a very social person. Which makes me think twice about moving to there.

- Currently I live with other people in a nice small house with a yard. I was told to forget about finding something similar to this if I’m moving to Brooklyn as it will be always an apartment.

- Since Boulder is the smallest town on the list, I wonder if it seems boring with fewer things to see and do to people who lived there? Also is it true that people in Boulder are either White rich people or college students?

Thank you
Yes Boston is pretty freakin expensive. Nice parts of Cambridge are no exception. Like I said, winter is no joke either. You seem to be really worried about this. Lots of people don't enjoy it but they survive just fine by taking the normal preparations, buying winter clothes, etc. Some people actually do enjoy it. And some people can't stand it and leave. If you really really think you will be one of those, then pick Austin. Honestly that's your only solution if you are that fearful.

Speaking of Austin, yeah it's a pretty awesome place. Based on the idea that you want a big city vibe and a walkable environment, Austin falls below that threshold imo. However maybe you could deal/adapt just fine. Austin isn't some podunk town in the middle of nowhere, and in fact for a second or third tier city, I think it actually feels much bigger than it is. If you were to live downtown you could walk to work, bike to a few nearby hip neighborhoods in your free time, and take an occasional uber farther out or when weather is bad. Austin also has decent bus service based on my experience, and it also has a commuter train that is quite limited in scope. If you go carless, you should be able to easily afford regular ubers. You could actually probably live outside downtown come to think of it and uber to work everyday. The fact that you are being paid the same regardless of location is another big plus for Austin. It's easily the lowest COL, plus there's no state income tax. Just remember that it's not at all on the scale of the big 5 cities in your list.

I wouldnt worry about Seattle Freeze. But then again we may have drastically different personalities so ymmv.

I do think Boulder would get boring. Maybe you wouldnt mind. But then again if you're starting out saying you want a big city then you'd probably feel the same way.

Seriously, Austin probably should be a major contender considering equal pay.

Do you mind sharing where you are coming from? And what your salary will be? This is an anonymous board lol...would make it easier to guess what your lifestyle could be like and how much you'll need to adapt.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 12,947 times
Thank you guys. Your insights are really helpful!
I think that I’m now leaning toward only three cities: Austin, NYC, and Chicago. Still not sure which one to choose first.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:12 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,166 times
When do you have to decide by? Can you visit any of these places? NYC will offer most but is not laid back. You may find Brooklyn a bit more laid back than Manhattan. Still what makes NYC is the insane vibrancy and fast paced mentality. chicago is next on this list from a vibrancy standpoint but a good amount below NYC. It has more of a laid back midwestern vibe but with the characteristics of the major city that it is. It is cleaner than NYC in downtown areas and newer feeling. Weather is similar between the two but NYC likely gets less bitter cold. Chicaho generally less expensive although Brooklyn cost of living has not reached Manhattan levels. I would only choose Austin if you place cost of living and weather as your runaway top two must haves.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:33 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I will assume you are intentionally not wanting to share your salary, your industry, or where you're coming from. It would really help us offer better advice.

Anyway I'll try to paint as best a picture I can for each option, but I totally agree with Ne999's description.

NYC - Major global city. One of only a handful of cities in this world that can offer such a level of diversity, culture, vibrancy, entertainment, etc. Harsh winters and hot and humid summers but not extreme. At 100k you should be able to live comfortably, afford your own place, and maybe save a little money too. At 50k you could survive if you're very pragmatic and would have to find a place with roommates, but plenty of people do this.

Chicago - Major global city but on a lower level than NYC, basically meaning less intense. Harsh and long winters...definitely worse than NYC. Summer is a little nicer imo. At 100k you will be very comfortable and can afford a very nice place to live. At 50k you could probably get your own place that's decent.

Austin - A hip, exciting, small city. Great live music and excellent food. Offers plenty of amenities but not an abundance of everything. Obviously winter is mild but summers will get very hot!! At 100k you will be living large and/or can save a lot. 50k would be comfortable.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:

- Reading the replies and looking at the poll, Chicago seems to be very popular. But I’m still concerned about its winter, as well as Boston. More insights would be appreciated.

- Heard a lot of good things about Austin: culture, food, music, nightlife, friendly laidback people.. etc. I would really like to hear more opinions about the town.

- When it comes to the beauty of the city, Seattle seems to be the winner. However, I heard that Seattle Freeze is real! I am single, immigrant, and a very social person. Which makes me think twice about moving to there.

- Currently I live with other people in a nice small house with a yard. I was told to forget about finding something similar to this if I’m moving to Brooklyn as it will be always an apartment.

- Since Boulder is the smallest town on the list, I wonder if it seems boring with fewer things to see and do to people who lived there? Also is it true that people in Boulder are either White rich people or college students?

Thank you
Keep in mind, Boulder is part of the Denver metro, so you'll have access to that. Denver is larger than Austin, population wise.

Austin's food scene is really good, unless you're into Chinese or Korean food.

I don't believe Boston is as expensive as Brooklyn.

Any of these cities would be great, depending on budget I'd lean Chicago or Seattle since I like cooler weather. Money no object? NYC.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Thank you guys. Your insights are really helpful!
I think that I’m now leaning toward only three cities: Austin, NYC, and Chicago. Still not sure which one to choose first.
What other cities have you lived in, so we can get a comparison regarding winter weather? Winter in Chicago is honestly not THAT different from most of the major cities in the Northeast. Today, for example, is 43 degrees and sunny. No snow. Chicago has occasional stretches of 50 degree weather in the dead of winter. Last year in February we had a few days in the 60s. I wouldn't make weather the deciding factor between NYC, Chicago, and Boston, as they are all fairly comparable. Austin will definitely be much warmer than both Chicago and NYC. Austin summers are brutally hot, though, and it is a much smaller city than both Chicago and NYC. Chicago is much more laid back than NYC, and still offers the amenities and vibe of a huge metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City