Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Birmingham 53 40.77%
Indianapolis 77 59.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Never been a major fan of either.. A majority of my time in Indianapolis has been passing through going to Chicago over the years but it seems much more progressive than Birmingham in my opinion, have been to a few places around the city. As far as Birmingham is concerned, I have never cared for it, feels like I'm stepping back in Time when I'm there for some reason. Idk, has a feeling of depression In a lot of areas but has some nice parts as well. Indy has a major edge over B,ham for me...
Excellent assessment. You share my sentiments and I am sure many others. Birmingham does have better food, but Indy is closing that gap fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 12:43 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Just the word 'Indianapolis' makes me yawn. I vote for Birmingham (better topography, better history, a more layered and interesting urban landscape, it isn't boring for its size).

Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Just the word 'Indianapolis' makes me yawn. I vote for Birmingham (better topography, better history, a more layered and interesting urban landscape, it isn't boring for its size).

How do you figure Birmingham has the better history? Indy's the older city and its history predates the Civil War. Birmingham wasn't founded until nearly a decade after the start of the war.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
How do you figure Birmingham has the better history? Indy's the older city and its history predates the Civil War. Birmingham wasn't founded until nearly a decade after the start of the war.
Probably the type of history.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Probably the type of history.
What is Birmingham famous for? What comes toind when you think Birmingham?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
Quote:
What is Birmingham famous for? What comes toind when you think Birmingham?
I don’t know, maybe influencing one of the largest movements in Black American history, being home to several impactful individuals such as Angela Davis or Sun Rah. Being the focal city of the South for transitioning the culture from agriculture to industrialization. And if you’re into minerals, Birmingham has some of the richest Iron Ore and Limestone in the South, and maybe the country.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don’t know, maybe influencing one of the largest movements in Black American history, being home to several impactful individuals such as Angela Davis or Sun Rah. Being the focal city of the South for transitioning the culture from agriculture to industrialization. And if you’re into minerals, Birmingham has some of the richest Iron Ore and Limestone in the South, and maybe the country.
Actually the Civil Rights movement began with the horrible Plessy vs Ferguson decision of 1894 and that case had its beginnings in the state of Louisiana. To be perfectly honest, the city of Montgomery was the epicenter of Civil Rights in Alabama not Birmingham.

My question is when one thinks of Birmingham what thought or thoughts universally come to mind?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Actually the Civil Rights movement began with the horrible Plessy vs Ferguson decision of 1894 and that case had its beginnings in the state of Louisiana. To be perfectly honest, the city of Montgomery was the epicenter of Civil Rights in Alabama not Birmingham.

My question is when one thinks of Birmingham what thought or thoughts universally come to mind?
There is no 'epicenter' for the Civil Rights movement. It happened everywhere, from Montgomery to Selma to North Carolina to the streets of Birmingham.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,311 times
Quote:

Montgomery the epicenter of civil rights in Alabama? Your kidding right?

This is worse than saying Louisville blows Birmingham out the water in everything lol

Oh and btw Plessy vs Ferguson was in 1896.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 AM

377 posts, read 340,162 times
Quote:

Birmingham is most well known as literally being ground zero(16th St. Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram Park) or the epicenter or crucible if you will of the civil rights movement not only in Alabama but in the United States thus making it one of the most historically rich cities in the country. Many historians equate Birmingham's impact on crushing segregation and civil rights for black Americans to that of Philadelphia or Boston during the American Revolution and the rights of white Americans. Any civil rights tour or assessment of most historically important cities in American history has Birmingham as one of the central stops for this reason. The seminal events of the civil rights movement (Bombingham era, Freedom rides, Project C, 16th St. bombing, Birmingham riots of 63, Letter from Birmingham jail) that shifted public conscience and consciousness occurred in Birmingham and as Birmingham residents can attest that honorable (for foot soldiers) yet dubious (for racists) distinction is one that Birmingham and Alabama have been fighting to emerge from for decades, lately with a lot of success as the city embraces a progressive new south identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City