Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Birmingham 53 40.77%
Indianapolis 77 59.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
There is no 'epicenter' for the Civil Rights movement. It happened everywhere, from Montgomery to Selma to North Carolina to the streets of Birmingham.
I said epicenter for ALABAMA civil rights. Keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Actually the Civil Rights movement began with the horrible Plessy vs Ferguson decision of 1894 and that case had its beginnings in the state of Louisiana. To be perfectly honest, the city of Montgomery was the epicenter of Civil Rights in Alabama not Birmingham.
It’s MLK Day, I’m not going to be divisive on a topic that’s so dear to various Black Americans throughout the country. Previously I said Birmingham influenced a movement, not that it was the “epicenter” of Civil Rights in Alabama.

Quote:
My question is when one thinks of Birmingham what thought or thoughts universally come to mind?
Lol idk, I gave you a response in which, that I assumed what an individual would think whenever the name of the city would come up, it’s either that or ignorance due to lack of knowledge about the city. But honestly speaking, I don’t think for others, I don’t know how I’m suppose to answer this question lol

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
Birmingham is most well known as literally being ground zero(16th St. Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram Park) or the epicenter or crucible if you will of the civil rights movement not only in Alabama but in the United States thus making it one of the most historically rich cities in the country. Many historians equate Birmingham's impact on crushing segregation and civil rights for black Americans to that of Philadelphia or Boston during the American Revolution and the rights of white Americans. Any civil rights tour or assessment of most historically important cities in American history has Birmingham as one of the central stops for this reason. The seminal events of the civil rights movement (Bombingham era, Freedom rides, Project C, 16th St. bombing, Birmingham riots of 63, Letter from Birmingham jail) that shifted public conscience and consciousness occurred in Birmingham and as Birmingham residents can attest that honorable (for foot soldiers) yet dubious (for racists) distinction is one that Birmingham and Alabama have been fighting to emerge from for decades, lately with a lot of success as the city embraces a progressive new south identity.
Plus it is a National Monument.

https://www.nps.gov/bicr/index.htm

Old 01-15-2018, 09:02 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
I said epicenter for ALABAMA civil rights. Keep up.
Even that isn't accurate. Modcut: removed rude comment.

Last edited by JMT; 01-15-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Montgomery the epicenter of civil rights in Alabama? Your kidding right?

This is worse than saying Louisville blows Birmingham out the water in everything lol

Oh and btw Plessy vs Ferguson was in 1896.

Rosa Park and the Montgomery bus boycott is world renowned. The Selma to Montgomery protect marches. During the time those were the single more watched news coverage in the United States. Not only that but the formation of original Black Panther Party began its roots in Lowndes County.

I'm not taking anything away from the great works of the legendary Fred Shuttlesworth and the movement he began in Birmingham but Montgomery started it over a decade before his movement gain traction. Most people don't know anything about Shuttlesworth but they do know about Rosa Park. As a matter of fact Shuttlesworth patterned his movement after the Montgomery bus boycott.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Rosa Park and the Montgomery bus boycott is world renowned. The Selma to Montgomery protect marches. During the time those were the single more watched news coverage in the United States. Not only that but the formation of original Black Panther Party began its roots in Lowndes County.

I'm not taking anything away from the great works of the legendary Fred Shuttlesworth and the movement he began in Birmingham but Montgomery started it over a decade before his movement gain traction. Most people don't know anything about Shuttlesworth but they do know about Rosa Park. As a matter of fact Shuttlesworth patterned his movement after the Montgomery bus boycott.
I don’t won’t to derail this thread, but eff it, it’s MLK Day, let us Blacks prosper.

Fred Shuttlesworth and Rosa Parks are some of the most notable Black American figures in the country, moreso Rosa Parks than Fred, but here’s my point. I’m not talking about individual accomplishments, I’m speaking in terms as a collective; the Birmingham Riots are one of the most significant riots in Civil Rights history. It caught national attention, even from the US Government; who at one point wanted to implement Operation Oak Tree.

Those pictures of AA’s getting bit by dogs and hosed down by polices, are literally used over and over whenever we reference riots in US history when it resorts to AA’s vs Police. Montgomery and Rosa Parks had an impact, not negating that. But those riots in Birminghsm was just an ongoing history/theme of the strength and resiliency of the AA Community whenever we face adversity.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I don’t won’t to derail this thread, but eff it, it’s MLK Day, let us Blacks prosper.

Fred Shuttlesworth and Rosa Parks are some of the most notable Black American figures in the country, moreso Rosa Parks than Fred, but here’s my point. I’m not talking about individual accomplishments, I’m speaking in terms as a collective; the Birmingham Riots are one of the most significant riots in Civil Rights history. It caught national attention, even from the US Government; who at one point wanted to implement Operation Oak Tree.

Those pictures of AA’s getting bit by dogs and hosed down by polices, are literally used over and over whenever we reference riots in US history when it resorts to AA’s vs Police. Montgomery and Rosa Parks had an impact, not negating that. But those riots in Birminghsm was just an ongoing history/theme of the strength and resiliency of the AA Community whenever we face adversity.
I can't argue with anything you posted except most Americans don't know a thing about Shuttlesworth which is sad because the man was legendary.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Even that isn't accurate.
you're entitled to your opinion but of course you will be wrong. Just face it you misquoted me

Last edited by JMT; 01-15-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 04:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Actually the Civil Rights movement began with the horrible Plessy vs Ferguson decision of 1894 and that case had its beginnings in the state of Louisiana. To be perfectly honest, the city of Montgomery was the epicenter of Civil Rights in Alabama not Birmingham.

My question is when one thinks of Birmingham what thought or thoughts universally come to mind?
Excellent points. Unfortunately for most it's still negative...."south," "racial issues," and "I'm not sure what to think."

I have been all around the town and I'd say a city of haves and have nots, a city with lots of unrealized potential, a quaint but somewhat stodgy old southern city that is 10 years behind many peers due to the "old southern guard" there. I think old industrial but trying to (slowly) reinvent itself.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
I think a lot of Birmingham posters are unable to understand how other people, outside of AL or even the south, view Birmingham and Alabama. I'm not saying that their views are correct but you have to be able to look from the outside in. I admit that even I had a less than great mental image of Birmingham. I used to think that it was just a run of the mill southern town with some run down areas and you don't even want to know what my old outlook on AL was. I've since visited Birmingham and through some of the post by posters like _OT I've gained a better understanding of and appreciation for BHAM. It has excellent bones, better architecture and food scene then most would believe and is definitely trying to turn the corner.

Last edited by mpier015; 01-16-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City