Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Antonio vs. Denver vs. Sacramento vs. Other
San Antonio, TX 19 31.15%
Denver, CO 19 31.15%
Sacramento, CA 20 32.79%
Other - please elaborate in post 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,745,107 times

Advertisements

I am usually partial to Denver and Denver would fit a lot of your personal interests, but I think you should try San Antonio for your job's sake. San Antonio is also very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM

2,746 posts, read 6,127,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I also vote San Antonio.

I live in Denver currently. I really like it here but the cost of living is fairly high, and the job market is highly competitive. There are likely more opportunities in San Antonio, and the cost of living is much, much lower. San Antonio is also much smaller than Denver so if you are seeking a smaller city, it would certainly fit the bill.

How is it a lot smaller? San Antonio has around 2.1 million. Denver has about 2.4 million Unless you get territory happy and start counting places like Greeley. San Antonio can do the same and count cities along I-35 and into Austin and have upward of 4 million people in the south-central Texas region.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 PM

362 posts, read 1,060,310 times
San Antonio is actually a lil over 2 million but I'm sure the way the city is growing it will have more than 2.1 million by 2010.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,366,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
San Antonio sounds like a good fit for you. Most people have an easier time adjusting to hot weather than they do getting used to cold weather.

On the other hand, if you have any questions about living in Las Vegas, come on over to the LV forum. We'd be happy to help you out.
thanks. People complain about heat and humidity of Florida but it didn't bother me too much except for when I would get into my car after sitting in the sun. yuck! The ocean kept the air clean feeling, even if it was humid.

I did go to a festival though in Texas, it was in October and it was sooo hot! I remember thinking the people in Texas were some other species cause I was ready to go home and get into the air conditioning waaaaaaaayyy earlier than everyone else! My friend told me it takes the average person 3 years to adjust to the climate there!

I think I agree though...I'm from Illinois and I am still not adjusted to the long winters! I dont think I ever will be! I like a short winter, its not winter itself that bothers me -- its just sooooooo long!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 PM

I get the feeling San Antonio people WANT The city to keep growing, while Denver is more averse to growth, Sacramento is probably a bit more averse to growth also. Is that accurate? SA seems proud and seems to want to be a big, well known city.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM

362 posts, read 1,060,310 times
More growth means better economy which is good for all, just as long as it's done right. I don't think because one forumer corrected metro stats means everyone in San Antonio want's their city to be this gigantic metropolis. San Antonio is one city that cherishes it's history and small town charm but blends in with a dynamic cosmopolitan city.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
More growth means better economy which is good for all, just as long as it's done right. I don't think because one forumer corrected metro stats means everyone in San Antonio want's their city to be this gigantic metropolis. San Antonio is one city that cherishes it's history and small town charm but blends in with a dynamic cosmopolitan city.
thanks for the response. Just to be clear though, the comments made me put my former research together and think of everything I've read on the city boards, and its just the general feeling I've gotten. A lot of Denver natives seem to want to halt growth or even reverse it, Sacramento is similiar though not quite like Denver in that regard, whereas on the SA board the attitude seemed totally different. Interesting...

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 PM

251 posts, read 712,083 times
Quote:
I don't think because one forumer corrected metro stats means everyone in San Antonio want's their city to be this gigantic metropolis.
I think a lot of us would actually like that.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 AM

386 posts, read 1,695,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I get the feeling San Antonio people WANT The city to keep growing, while Denver is more averse to growth, Sacramento is probably a bit more averse to growth also. Is that accurate? SA seems proud and seems to want to be a big, well known city.
Hence the economic vitality of San Antonio and the economic stagnation of Denver.

The fine folks in Texas understand what so many Coloradans are unable to grasp--if you want an solvent, growing, diverse economy, you have to actually work to attract business and newcomers. Texas combines low taxes and pro-growth policy with the usual accutrement of warm weather and the result is a hot economy.

Colorado is raising taxes and instituting reactionary growth policy, hoping that the allure of the Rockies will be enough to attract businesses to the region. Guess what? It's not. The mountains are beautiful, but they are no substitute for affordable real estate and an abundance of jobs. When you base your economy off of tourism, a la Colorado, you're bound to attract a lot of ski bums and hot/cold roller-coaster industry work (IT jobs, especially)....but you won't grow an economy that way. San Antonio has invested in an economy that is diverse, vibrant, and--most importantly--open to growth.

When Denver becomes unaffordable (even moreso than it is now) and its appeal fades, pro-growth cities like Boise, Salt Lake, and San Antonio will be very happy to provide an affordable, more family-friendly alternative. And if you look at the demographic patterns, that's already occuring.....

Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 AM

13,392 posts, read 45,111,655 times
I keep thinking that maybe San Antonio would be right for you.
One thing about Denver weather--the winters are open, lots of warm, sunny days, but they can begin very early (Sept) and end very late (snow in late May is not unheard of.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City