Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Antonio vs. Denver vs. Sacramento vs. Other
San Antonio, TX 19 31.15%
Denver, CO 19 31.15%
Sacramento, CA 20 32.79%
Other - please elaborate in post 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,357,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Hence the economic vitality of San Antonio and the economic stagnation of Denver.

The fine folks in Texas understand what so many Coloradans are unable to grasp--if you want an solvent, growing, diverse economy, you have to actually work to attract business and newcomers. Texas combines low taxes and pro-growth policy with the usual accutrement of warm weather and the result is a hot economy.

Colorado is raising taxes and instituting reactionary growth policy, hoping that the allure of the Rockies will be enough to attract businesses to the region. Guess what? It's not. The mountains are beautiful, but they are no substitute for affordable real estate and an abundance of jobs. When you base your economy off of tourism, a la Colorado, you're bound to attract a lot of ski bums and hot/cold roller-coaster industry work (IT jobs, especially)....but you won't grow an economy that way. San Antonio has invested in an economy that is diverse, vibrant, and--most importantly--open to growth.

When Denver becomes unaffordable (even moreso than it is now) and its appeal fades, pro-growth cities like Boise, Salt Lake, and San Antonio will be very happy to provide an affordable, more family-friendly alternative. And if you look at the demographic patterns, that's already occuring.....
that is a very interesting and I take it, very good explanation of what I might be getting through my reading. It makes sense. I have had a much harder time finding work in Colorado -- and the jobs I do are ridiculous low paid, I mean we are talking only internship type jobs in my field are available -- though they expect you to have experience and be highly skilled! I am sure some good jobs are available but it has been strange, I get jobs from afar so easily in California -- they just come to me! This one in SA, it also just came to me! An employer has never just called me from Colorado. And you are right....it seems like the perfect place in a lot of ways. I was starting to prepare myself mentally for a move there, and to make all of the effort. But I am not sure, especially in this economy it would be worth it! A wise person once told me to follow your own path, not neccessarily where your career path takes you.

But...it seems like San Antonio may be a good compromise. I want to go west, I want to go somewhere different, I like what I have seen and the affordability....wow. I know the property taxes are high, but I think I could actually buy my first home there.

Thanks to everyone this is very helpful and interesting to me. Oh...and the company in SA has offices in Colorado (same with the Sacramento job). So.....maybe someday!

I've noticed a few votes for Sac but no one has mentioned it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM

386 posts, read 1,694,604 times
I actually really like Sacramento. We've got friends in Vacaville and have always enjoyed our visits. The area is growing and it seems like a great place for families. However, my experiences with that area are pretty limited so I can't speak to Sac Town any further, unfortunately.

I've found that economically vibrant and growing places tend to offer a lot more than just jobs and cash--the economic vibrancy is often a signpost for a whole host of other qualities that are important. An economically sane city is often the most well-run, has the most ambitious and hard-working workforce, the most recreational opportunities at an affordable price, the best schools, etc. Economically solvent cities tend to be the most attractive and affordable for families--thus they try to make everything much better for those families (this is true in Boise, Salt Lake, San Antonio, even St. Louis, Orlando, etc.).

So, often times, a good economy means that your city will be good in many other parts of life.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 PM

radraja -- thanks for the pictures!! I have to say I have been so impressed with the pictures I have seen of SA. It looks so different than whatever I had thought it was supposed to look like, before. I guess I never really thought about SA before this year. I have been to Austin, but I never realized SA was such a growing city filled with history and culture. I do agree, it might be a nice suprirse even though it was not my plan!

As for Sacramento---- I really love that whole area and all it has to offer. I was there recently for an interview, was offered the job and I reluctantly turned it down due to a conflict of interests. I had to admit to myself though, that Sac has changed a lot in 4 years....or maybe its just not the wonderplace my mind recalls. The pollution bothered me this time, as did the traffic. I actually felt guilty, because I would be one that would often drive to San Francisoco or Tahoe.....and when I visited I just felt sick being among the thousands of cars travelling 300 miles a weekend (or whatever) just to leave Sacramento for the mountains or oceans. The air quality there seems to have really declined (and it was already bad). It may have just been the weekend I was there.....but maybe it was just like seeing the place with new eyes. Regardless though, I still think Sac has a lot to offer and the job opps are definitley there.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,340,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Hence the economic vitality of San Antonio and the economic stagnation of Denver.

The fine folks in Texas understand what so many Coloradans are unable to grasp--if you want an solvent, growing, diverse economy, you have to actually work to attract business and newcomers. Texas combines low taxes and pro-growth policy with the usual accutrement of warm weather and the result is a hot economy.

Colorado is raising taxes and instituting reactionary growth policy, hoping that the allure of the Rockies will be enough to attract businesses to the region. Guess what? It's not. The mountains are beautiful, but they are no substitute for affordable real estate and an abundance of jobs. When you base your economy off of tourism, a la Colorado, you're bound to attract a lot of ski bums and hot/cold roller-coaster industry work (IT jobs, especially)....but you won't grow an economy that way. San Antonio has invested in an economy that is diverse, vibrant, and--most importantly--open to growth.

When Denver becomes unaffordable (even moreso than it is now) and its appeal fades, pro-growth cities like Boise, Salt Lake, and San Antonio will be very happy to provide an affordable, more family-friendly alternative. And if you look at the demographic patterns, that's already occuring.....
Not so fast... there may certainly be some people in Denver who want to slow growth, but what you're saying is going to happen is pure speculation. BTW the Front Range and the mountain communities and rural Colorado are three totally different things. You seem to mix and mash the three together mentally. You also confuse the politics of the City of Denver with the greater Denver metro area. Boise and Salt Lake more pro-growth than Denver? Sorry, I'm not buying it. You can find "family-friendly" suburbs a dime a dozen around Denver-- Highlands Ranch, Parker, SE Aurora, Castle Rock, Broomfield, etc-- they are in no short supply.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 PM

okay sacramento lovers...you are voting but not speaking...what gives!?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,234,072 times
I wouldn't exactly call the Denver area anti-growth. I think at this point, people along the front range are more interested in "smart growth."

During the 1990s, Denver's population exploded and as a result came bad traffic, increased polution, sprawl, etc... For quite a while, Douglas County in southern metro Denver was the fastest growing county in the country. During this decade, the high tech boom brought a major influx of major companies and jobs into the Denver metro area (similar to the boom currently occuring in Texas). After 9/11 when the high tech boom slowed, so did the job market and economy in Denver.

I personally do not feel that Denver is a "dead" city in any way- it is still a growing, vibrant city. The job market here is not horrible, but it's not great either (the job market in Texas is far better). There are still lots of good, high paying jobs in Denver- the problem is that you may be competing against 15 other people for the same position, so it can be difficult to get hired. Typically also, the salaries here are not high enough to compensate with the high cost of living, but that's not to say that this is always the case. Many people move here from out of state, get great high paying jobs and live very comfortably.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,121,586 times
Aren't Sac homes prices ridicoulsly high?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not so fast... there may certainly be some people in Denver who want to slow growth, but what you're saying is going to happen is pure speculation. BTW the Front Range and the mountain communities and rural Colorado are three totally different things. You seem to mix and mash the three together mentally. You also confuse the politics of the City of Denver with the greater Denver metro area. Boise and Salt Lake more pro-growth than Denver? Sorry, I'm not buying it. You can find "family-friendly" suburbs a dime a dozen around Denver-- Highlands Ranch, Parker, SE Aurora, Castle Rock, Broomfield, etc-- they are in no short supply.
It's not speculation, vegas....it's reality. Colorado's economy is in the crapper because it consistently fails to bring in the big business. Denver lost its bid for Boeing because Chicago is simply a better city for business. Colorado's pro-tax frenzy of late is very bad for business--and the average consumer. While Colorado is going crazy on trains and environmental taxes, an absurd amount of people can't even afford their mortgages!!

The economy is bad across Colorado. It is no better along the Front Range than it is on the Western Slope. Colorado has a remarkably centralized governmental structure and thus the bad policies at the capitol cause ruin for the whole state. Likewise, unlike places like St. Louis or Phoenix, metro Denver is highly centralized. Mayor Hickenlooper has focused on metro-wide cooperation on Ref C and D, Fastracks, and a number of other initiatives. You're right that most of the suburbs are quite conservative when compared to the city of Denver. But when it comes to taxation and an inability to draw business and commerce, the whole metro area is suffering.

And, yes, Boise and Salt Lake are dramatically more pro-growth. Look at the cities that are growing, vegas. Look where the business is going. Follow the dollar. Salt Lake is hot, hot, hot and Boise is not far behind it. If you look at which cities are attracting business and newcomers...those are the towns you're seeing.

Top 25 Cities for Doing Business in America | Printer-friendly version
Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
Expansion Management Releases 2007 "Best Cities For Business Recruitment and Attraction” Rankings (http://www.penton.com/News/ExpansionManagementReleases2007BestCitiesForBusine ssRecruitmentandAttractionRankings.aspx - broken link)

What are the towns you keep seeing? Atlanta...Boise...Washington....Austin.....Phoenix ...Charlotte....etc.

There's nothing family-friendly about Denver's increasing tax rate (low...but growing), high cost of living, and poor job situation. I'm from suburban Denver. I love suburban Denver. And I agree that it's got great schools, churches, parks, etc.--things that make a place great for families. But what it doesn't have is an economy that is conducive to family living.

San Antonio, Charlotte, and Atlanta all have nice family-friendly suburbs too. And, what makes them stand out, is that they are actually affordable.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 PM

115 posts, read 324,130 times
I love Colorado. I moved here from Raleigh-Durham area and grew up near Charlotte. I have been fortunate to work with a California company here that pays California wages. However, my husband has had a really hard time finding a job. We love it here so much. We love the outdoors. I think you pay for living here - but I think that's also true of Sacramento, which I also love.

Aesthetics and outdoors are most important to me, but I know that comes with a price, and I think that's the deal. San Antonio is lovely but you don't get the jaw-dropping scenery so close as you do in Colorado and Sacramento.

It's funny though - I hate Denver. I live in west metro a few miles east of Boulder and work in Broomfield (lots of tech growth there - Conoco just relocated some training centers there - supposed to be 11k new jobs, Interlacken, Sun, etc.). I don't go east to Denver unless it's for a unique meal or to see the Rockies or Broncos play. We hike in Boulder and when it's the weekend, we are on 70 to go hiking or skiing.

We already know we are likely to leave to be near family for a few years, but we will plan on coming back. We have loved living here so much.

Also, BTW, I am married, but if not, geesh a girl could do worse than here - there is definitley a large ratio of man. Many are from California tough so they are commitophobes, find the midwest and southern transplants.

I would say stay in California if the job market continues to be troubling and then move to Denver when its better. I can't speak on San Antonio just to say I generally don't like Texas, except San Antonio and Austin.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM

You know....I think I might have overstated that last post a little bit. I do not believe that Chicago is a more pro-business city than Denver. But I think Denver's boom/bust economy and economic iffy-ness scared off the Boeing execs.

And I do believe that suburban Denver is much more growth-friendly than the city of Denver. Hence why two major hospitals and a host of other businesses are fleeing Denver for Aurora, Lakewood, and other suburban communities.

Finally, I do not consider Colorado "anti-growth." But there is a strain of this in the state and it's pretty poinsonous. Call it "smart growth" if you want, but it does nothing for a state when it is facing stiff competition from great metro areas like San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. The Colorado I grew up with was very pro-growth (thus the rapid growth in the 90s). I think people sort of had a weird reaction to it all and enacted growth boundaries, new taxes, and all sorts of other goofy measures that don't support a strong economy.

If you look at San Antonio and St. Louis, people here want to explode. They know an explosion means more jobs and a better economy--and that's better for everybody. Denver can marginalize it's regional importance by becoming a a quaint, oversized mountain chalet full of techies, drifters, and rich people who dont' have to work for a living. I, for one, do not think that is very desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City