Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Antonio vs. Denver vs. Sacramento vs. Other
San Antonio, TX 19 31.15%
Denver, CO 19 31.15%
Sacramento, CA 20 32.79%
Other - please elaborate in post 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:17 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times

Advertisements

okay.....I'm a lucky person to have job opportunities all over the place....but I've been trying to choose for about a year and a half and doing a very poor job of it.

I'm 31 (cant get used to saying that, just turned) I'm female, I'm single. I have a grad degree (not real important but might tell you something about me). I am from the midwest but have already lived once in Sacramento about 4 years ago, and also lived in florida (naples) I really liked both places a lot -- but I am wondering if Sacramento is getting too crowded and polluted for my tastes - I do for whatever reason, get the most job offers there. I love California in general, but I am on a budget no matter where I will work due to student loans. Florida is real nice but I prefer it for vacations or retirement one day!

Have never been to San Antonio -- have a promising job opp there, very promising. Sounds nice but very hot -- love the pictures I have seen of the area.

I love Denver -- but it would be something I would have to put a lot of effort into, cause, for whatever reason, I dont have a lot of job opps there....it just seems to fit what I want: Nice enough weather, nice city, lots of MEN and I love outdoor activities though I think I would miss the water there.

I am not really an east coast type person....and Chicago, well its home for me but I am not real into professional sports and harsh winter and well....theres more but you get the idea

So if you were me, what would you do? Any other options you think fit?

I'm looking forward to all thoughts and comparisons, or even other ideas!

FYI: more things I like -- swimming, kayaking, travelling (plane, car, train whatever) prefer summer to winter, love flowers and greenery but also appreciate mountains and plains, like a more medium or small city than very large, I'm somewhat conservative and traditional when it comes to most things in life, prefer a vareity of people to a homogenous group....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,412 times
Don't just move somewhere because of the sex ratio and large amount of men. Most of the younger guys in Denver (and, really, most cities) are douches anyway.

Go to San Antonio. It's a really charming city with a total job-a-palooza going on down there.....

Old 03-23-2008, 05:13 PM

lol....true about the douche factor....but I think Chicago takes the cake sorry boys of my hometown

Its not the main factor I consider Denver, just a nice perk. Thanks for the vote!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Denver is actually sometimes referred to as having a bad singles scene. I'm not saying that it's true (I've never been there to scope out singles), but I'm surprised that you're interested in it for dating reasons, considering it's reputation.

That said, San Antonio sounds like the best bet. You have the job opportunities, and it's a really affordable area. Check out this list of things to do in the area. There's a tab for outdoor recreation. Visit San Antonio: Attractions & Activities :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
I also vote San Antonio.

I live in Denver currently. I really like it here but the cost of living is fairly high, and the job market is highly competitive. There are likely more opportunities in San Antonio, and the cost of living is much, much lower. San Antonio is also much smaller than Denver so if you are seeking a smaller city, it would certainly fit the bill.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Interesting. San Antonio is bigger than I thought. I read recently it is now the 7th largest city in the country!!!

Funny though, it looks like The Denver metro has more people than the San Antonio metro.

San Antonio pop is about One million
Denver pop is about 500,000

Thanks for the votes, I am getting excited about San Antonio and the job possibility. It is an excellent company. The thing is I had never thought about Texas much until the opportunity came up, so these are good things to hear! I love the photos of the city, it looks really ....well charming as one of you said.

Thanks for the link too....there does appear to be more recreation there than I thought, I just worry that the heat will be too much for me, at least until I adjust. I can be a little wimpy about high heat and humidity.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:56 PM

251 posts, read 710,204 times
What are you getting a job in?

Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,336 times
You're exactly right. San Antonio is a larger city but Denver is a larger metro.

San Antonio's metro population is about 1.8 million, whereas Denver's is about 2.4 million.

The heat and humidity in San Antonio during the summer can be extreme, but coming from northeast Illinois, I'm sure you're used to hot, humid summers so you should adapt fairly quickly.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM

I dont want to say the name of the company. I'm not through the interview process yet but the one in San Antonio is for a major defense contractor. I work in a very specific technology field (GIS). In Sacramento I have already turned down a job but have another I'm interviewing for in natural resources mapping, and they seem to keep coming up there. I have a handful of opportunities elsewhere like Phoneix and Las Vegas. I am not sure those are the right places for me at all, though Las Vegas seems fun (I like to vacation there)

Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
San Antonio sounds like a good fit for you. Most people have an easier time adjusting to hot weather than they do getting used to cold weather.

On the other hand, if you have any questions about living in Las Vegas, come on over to the LV forum. We'd be happy to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City