Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:48 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that Hispanics on the East Coast act more black while that is much less prevalent among Hispanics in the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 11:12 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
In Miami the Hispanics go out of their way to identify and tell you they are White (especially the Cubans and Spaniards). That’s why on the census one is asked if they are White Hispanic or White Non Hispanic. Many of the successful ones will also go out of their way to tell you how better educated and well off they are (restaurant owner v worker) than many of their West Coast counterparts.

The better educated and more successful ones speak fluent English; live in Coral Gables, Brickell, Pinecrest or Miami Beach; and have assimilated more into US mainstream while retaining their heritage whereas the lesser educated speak Spanish and live in similar minded, lesser affluent communities such as Little Havana, Hialeah, Kendall, Doral and Homestead.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-10-2020 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 11:25 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
In Baltimore the small Central American and Mexican American population is very traditional. Soccer cleats and cowboys hats and mariachi music abound. They speak Spanish all over the neighborhood, shorter in stature than everyone else and they watch soccer in the bars.

In Boston I really cant even tell who’s Hispanic or who’s black or whose Cape Verdean. All those groups are considered black-and I’m from there, except in heavily Latino East Boston where most of our Central Americans are. The past two year the state basketball champion team has been the Lyn English Bulldogs. Lynn English is about 60% Latino and 10% black. The basketball team is made up primarily of Latino players who are assimilated into black culture.

In Boston Cape Verdeans who are mixed race but usually appear black and speak an Africanized Portuguese and have similar Spanish sounding last names make it all confusing. Latinos are very much considered ‘black in Mass. the Dominican city of Lawrence MA is much more truly ‘Dominican’ compared to Boston. Much is MA has Puerto Rican’s and they seem to be more black.

In Connecticut the heavier Puerto Rican presence feels more authentically Puerto Rican or NuyoRican at least.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:43 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
It's interesting that Hispanics on the East Coast act more black while that is much less prevalent among Hispanics in the West Coast.
That's not really true anymore from my observations, the younger generation of Hispanics on the West Cost tend to assimilate to AA culture.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:44 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's not really true anymore from my observations, the younger generation of Hispanics on the West Cost tend to assimilate to AA culture.
This again?

No, they really dont. It certainly not that way in Texas either. The exceptions are when you have American born Hispanics that grow up in Black neighborhoods or go to Black majority schools. If you go into East LA, Harrisburg/Manchester in Houston, Webb Chappel in Dallas, etc. American born Hispanics will carry themselves differently than black or white residents do.

And let me preemptively throw out that showing cherry picked Youtube videos wont prove anything.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This again?

No, they really dont. It certainly not that way in Texas either. The exceptions are when you have American born Hispanics that grow up in Black neighborhoods or go to Black majority schools. If you go into East LA, Harrisburg/Manchester in Houston, Webb Chappel in Dallas, etc. American born Hispanics will carry themselves differently than black or white residents do.

And let me preemptively throw out that showing cherry picked Youtube videos wont prove anything.
Right!

This is a typical Boston Dominican in a predominately black/Latino neighborhood what he saying in Spanish is he knows he’s black.

https://twitter.com/laurasseni/statu...63738852945921

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-10-2020 at 01:59 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Right!

This is a typical Boston Dominican in a predominately black/Latino neighborhood what he saying in Spanish is he knows he’s black.

https://twitter.com/laurasseni/statu...63738852945921

Funny thing is, he probablly speak perfect English. He’s a dude I would not know isnt black until he spoke , he’s got the dreads and all.
There are plenty of non-black Latinos who assimilate into AA culture too. I see it here in New York pretty often, but I hear it has become the norm elsewhere as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This again?

That culture has spread to the non-black parts of LA too. The most popular Hispanic musician out of LA right now is OhGeezy, a Mexican-American rapper from a not black part of LA. He says the N word more than the black rappers in his group.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:13 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Well there’s a lot of Hispanics of African descent on the eastcoast unlike the Westcoast. Clearly more of an African lineage or influence with Hispanics coming from the Caribbean’s. Mexicans and Central Americans are more Indigenous people and Spaniard descent. Not all Hispanics are the same. It’s really crazy how uneducated Americans are to Hispanic culture. The Spaniards practiced more of a caste system when it came to the concept of race moreso than the Americans who practiced the one drop rule.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are plenty of non-black Latinos who assimilate into AA culture too. I see it here in New York pretty often, but I hear it has become the norm elsewhere as well.

That culture has spread to the non-black parts of LA too. The most popular Hispanic musician out of LA right now is OhGeezy, a Mexican-American rapper from a not black part of LA. He says the N word more than the black rappers in his group.
bro you're so misguided here... Saying the N-word doesn't make you black or mean you're assimilating into black culture. It means you're trying to cash in on black culture and know you wont get the backlash a white rapper would receive. White people want to say it too.

Looking black blurs some of the assumptions and also affects how Latinos are treated, not only do they look black, but they dress and carry themselves in a very black way and are often the minority in black areas so they assimilate not because of imitation but because its natural and how they were raised. You're not black and you're not Latino so how can you say this with any sort of confidence. Especially considering pretty much no one else agrees with your basic premise. I havent seen it on CD, just you tbh.

Three black and latino posters are telling you you're wrong. Maybe listen?

Old 06-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
bro you're so misguided here... Saying the N-word doesn't make you black or mean you're assimilating into black culture. It means you're trying to cash in on black culture and know you wont get the backlash a white rapper would receive. White people want to say it too.

Looking black blurs some of the assumptions and also affects how Latinos are treated, not only do they look black, but they dress and carry themselves in a very black way and are often the minority in black areas so they assimilate not because of imitation but because its natural and how they were raised. You're not black and you're not Latino so how can you say this with any sort of confidence. Especially considering pretty much no one else agrees with your basic premise. I havent seen it on CD, just you tbh.

Three black and latino posters are telling you you're wrong. Maybe listen?
I'm not reducing black culture to things like using the N word. My point is that they are copying things like that from black people. The internet dictates youth culture these days, so it no long matters whether or not you actually live in a predominately black neighborhood.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but I come across Mexicans and Central Americans all the time in NYC and its suburbs who copy their speech and fashion very, very heavily from AAs. The most popular male musician out of NYC right now is arguably Tekashi 69, and he obviously is doing an impression of what he perceives AA culture to be.

And this type of thing is not limited to PRs and DRs anymore, it's not 1995. Mexicans and Central Americans, and sometimes South Americans do this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City