Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 02:51 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm not reducing black culture to things like using the N word. My point is that they are copying things like that from black people. The internet dictates youth culture these days, so it no long matters whether or not you actually live in a predominately black neighborhood.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but I come across Mexicans and Central Americans all the time in NYC and its suburbs who copy their speech and fashion very, very heavily from AAs. The most popular male musician out of NYC right now is arguably Tekashi 69, and he obviously is doing an impression of what he perceives AA culture to be.

And this type of thing is not limited to PRs and DRs anymore, it's not 1995. Mexicans and Central Americans, and sometimes South Americans do this too.
Yea but hes very much a caricature. His whole image as a gangsta etc etc is literally fabricated. By his own legal admission, he became a rapper when a music exec walked into the bodega he was working in and asked "do you rap? you look cool". Hes portraying a lifestyle he really wasn't involved in and was guided towards.

Also sure thaat may be the case in NYC because the predominate latino culture in NYC is shaped by Puerto Ricans and then Dominicans (closely related). The central americans etc are moving off their cues.

Here in Baltimore and DC the Hispanic youth are veyr much hispanic and not very black at all. Theyre nothing like what I was used to in Boston where its 'blackandlatino'.

I was in Colorado in 2016. Hispanics there were more like white people and rancher types. Its pretty night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 03:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea but hes very much a caricature. His whole image as a gangsta etc etc is literally fabricated. By his own legal admission, he became a rapper when a music exec walked into the bodega he was working in and asked "do you rap? you look cool". Hes portraying a lifestyle he really wasn't involved in and was guided towards.

Also sure thaat may be the case in NYC because the predominate latino culture in NYC is shaped by Puerto Ricans and then Dominicans (closely related). The central americans etc are moving off their cues.

Here in Baltimore and DC the Hispanic youth are veyr much hispanic and not very black at all. Theyre nothing like what I was used to in Boston where its 'blackandlatino'.

I was in Colorado in 2016. Hispanics there were more like white people and rancher types. Its pretty night and day.
Yes 6ix9ine is a caricature, but I have met a lot of other Mexican New Yorkers and so far, and a large chunk of them (likely most) use the N word/AAVE all the time and wear AA inspired clothes. Not a hint of Pendletons & Dickies anywhere like 1992 LA.

Sure in NYC the Latino base is PRs and DRs (though, that's not as true anymore now that there are so many Mexicans). But that's not true on Long Island, the towns I'm referring to are a mix of half black (AA/West Indian) and half Central American. There is no Hispano-Caribbean base there, the Central American populations exploded since the 90s and most of the US born ones largely borrow slang, fashion, and mannerisms from the black population.

As far as Colorado, I do hear that a large chunk of the younger Mexican-Americans there "act black" but I can't prove that at the moment.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. Allow me to use Texas as an example, since I don´t know enough about other states like Florida, NY, California, etc. to make real comparisons.

Places that you would expect to be full of more "traditional" Hispanics are often their own thing now, Tex-Mex if you will. San Antonio for example doesn´t have as many Spanish speakers as you would think. I used to consider Dallas a "white city with a healthy black population", but I come to find out that it´s now at about 45% Hispanic. Dallas ISD has a higher % of Spanish-speaking ESL students than places right on the border like McAllen and El Paso.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In Boston I really cant even tell who’s Hispanic or who’s black or whose Cape Verdean..
Huh. We have pretty different upbringings and experiences, I guess; I was about to comment that Boston-area Latinos generally seem less assimilated than Latino folks I know from other parts of the country.

However, I don’t think “traditional” is the right word..

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-10-2020 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Sometimes numbers can be deceiving. Allow me to use Texas as an example, since I don´t know enough about other states like Florida, NY, California, etc. to make real comparisons.

Places that you would expect to be full of more "traditional" Hispanics are often their own thing now, Tex-Mex if you will. San Antonio for example doesn´t have as many Spanish speakers as you would think. I used to consider Dallas a "white city with a healthy black population", but I come to find out that it´s now at about 45% Hispanic. Dallas ISD has a higher % of Spanish-speaking ESL students than places right on the border like McAllen and El Paso.
A lot of people seem to overestimate the level of non-assimilated Latinos the border towns have and underestimate the level of Latinos in general that Houston and Dallas have

Old 06-10-2020, 04:12 PM

What is a "traditional" Latino anyway?
Even in Mexico, traditional Mexican music is dying out in favor of reggaeton, which seems to be the most popular genre of music in every Spanish speaking country.

I would hardly describe any Latin American country I can think of as "traditional", much has changed in recent years.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
What is a "traditional" Latino anyway?
Even in Mexico, traditional Mexican music is dying out in favor of reggaeton, which seems to be the most popular genre of music in every Spanish speaking country.

I would hardly describe any Latin American country I can think of as "traditional", much has changed in recent years.
I thiiink the OP meant it as “having a strong identity independent of mainstream white or black American culture”. However, the word to me carries connotations of “conservative” and “religious”. I know Latinos who are one, the other, or both but I don’t think it’s what the OP was going for.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I thiiink the OP meant it as “having a strong identity independent of mainstream white or black American culture”. However, the word to me carries connotations of “conservative” and “religious”. I know Latinos who are one, the other, or both but I don’t think it’s what the OP was going for.
Come to think of it that makes a lot of sense (culturally independent from white or black American culture).

However, I honestly don't think it exists anymore. The stereotypical Chicano culture of Cholos, Pendletons, Dickies, Nike Cortez, "homes", "vato", etc. is dead. The late 00s seemed to wipe that out and replace it with an explicitly AA inspired subculture.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
There's a range, but a large portion of the Latino population in Chicago is assimilated. It was interesting when I first moved to Chicago to learn that many Latinos here have the traditional white Chicagoan/ Midwest accent (or at least a variant of it).

Old 06-10-2020, 04:37 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Huh. We have pretty different upbringings and experiences, I guess; I was about to comment that Boston-area Latinos generally seem less assimilated than Latino folks I know from other parts of the country.

However, I don’t think “traditional” is the right word..
Attached are all people I know from Boston or right around it.

Can you guess who's Black, who's Cape Verdean and who's Latino? For kicks try to guess they're ethnicity

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-img_3233.jpgA

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-img_3231.jpgB

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-img_3234.jpgC

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-img_3232.jpgD

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-bjames.jpgE

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-12250176_860553064043261_9087231762711947093_n.jpgE

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-alfa.jpgG

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-kfig.jpgH

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-aman2.jpgI

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-aman1.jpgI2

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-tonynastee.jpgK

Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-cvpoo.jpgL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City