Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 06:43 PM

390 posts, read 307,089 times

Advertisements

I've been told I look, talk, and act white.
I've also had people on the Miami CD subforum "whitesplain" to me that I am not Latino but instead, Hispanic and that "no one says Latino outside of hollywood".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 06:46 PM

390 posts, read 307,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I actually think the white/Latino integration of the Northeast (at least New York and New Jersey) is understated.

Of course the Bronx and Brooklyn Ricans and Dominicans are generally as culturally nonwhite as it gets. However PRs and probably DRs also serve as a buffer group between whites and blacks in some cases (neighborhoods like Ridgewood, Queens for instance), and it's quite common for people to be mixed with Puerto Rican and some sort of white.

Then there are a lot of South Americans in NYC and its suburbs, they even go to college at a similar rate as white kids. And in my experience, unless they're from the hood then they're pretty similar to white people.

Most of my white friends date Latina chicks, especially hipsters.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
DMV area has a very diverse Latino population. I'd say up to 50% of at least the young Salvadorians here have assimilated. Salvadorians have been here for decades already in large number, there are constantly new traditional ones moving in every year, but there's a local population now that has assimilated. I've worked with or known growing up Salvadorian and some Bolivians who grew up in the area, they are either Cowboys or Redskins fans, and say "young" and "jih like" how the locals do. In Northwest DC and Moco you find most of the Dominicans that exist here, small in # compared to the NE, but there are many who have assimilated, and some who are still "fresh off the boat". A Dominican girl I worked with has had two different African American husbands, and she largely grew up in the US. Her and her now half Dominican teenage daughter are completely assimilated.

An ex of mine is full blood Puerto Rican, and grew up almost exclusively in the MD suburbs of DC, she is DMV to the core, fully assimilated.

There are Colombians here too, shoutout my Parceros, but mostly they are a cross between somewhat assimilated like DR/PR, and still holding on to their South American heritage strongly. Some Cubans and Panamanians in the area have assimilated too. I've come to notice I meet a lot of 50/50 at least ladies here, half Cubano, half AA.

With that said, still probably 65 percent of the total Hispanic/Latino population overall is more traditional with a heavy influx of Central Americans from Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Mexico.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-15-2020 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 07:46 PM

Also the Tidewater, VA area (757) has a surprising number of either assimilated Latinos or Black/Latino mixed. It's a heavy Naval Base area, with decent diverse mix of cultures for a smaller metro area.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DMV area has a very diverse Latino population. I'd say up to 50% of at least the young Salvadorians here have assimilated. Salvadorians have been here for decades already in large number, there are constantly new traditional ones moving in every year, but there's a local population now that has assimilated. I've worked with or known growing up Salvadorian and some Bolivians who grew up in the area, they are either Cowboys or Redskins fans, and say "young" and "jih like" how the locals do. In Northwest DC and Moco you find most of the Dominicans that exist here, small in # compared to the NE, but there are many who have assimilated, and some who are still "fresh off the boat". A Dominican girl I worked with has had two different African American husbands, and she largely grew up in the US. Her and her now half Dominican teenage daughter are completely assimilated.

An ex of mine is full blood Puerto Rican, and grew up almost exclusively in the MD suburbs of DC, she is DMV to the core, fully assimilated.

There are Colombians here too, shoutout my Parceros, but mostly they are a cross between somewhat assimilated like DR/PR, and still holding on to their South American heritage strongly. Some Cubans and Panamanians in the area have assimilated too. I've come to notice I meet a lot of 50/50 at least ladies here, half Cubano, half AA.

With that said, still probably 65 percent of the total Hispanic/Latino population overall is more traditional with a heavy influx of Central Americans from Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Mexico.
Do you mean assimilate to the black population?

That's the jist I get from your response, though I do know a Bolivian from NoVa and her and her peers seem to be more white assimilated.

Long Island, NY has a lot of towns mixed between black and mostly US born Central American, and I would say most are black influenced but not all. The average one I've met I would say is somewhat black influenced and says the N word but not to the extent of Nuyoricans.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Do you mean assimilate to the black population?

That's the jist I get from your response, though I do know a Bolivian from NoVa and her and her peers seem to be more white assimilated.

Long Island, NY has a lot of towns mixed between black and mostly US born Central American, and I would say most are black influenced but not all. The average one I've met I would say is somewhat black influenced and says the N word but not to the extent of Nuyoricans.
Good question, as I believe it's a mixed bag for many. It may actually depend on specifically where those Hispanics live at while here. I think some posters here were automatically assuming that Hispanic/Latinos were assimilating with local Black culture, but I would say it's not that simple. In parts of the suburbs of the DC area it could go either way. I've grown up and/or been around many Latinos who either have or partially have assimilated to Black American/ local culture. Again in totality I would say in totality it's still more than half of the Latinos here that are more or less still traditional.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Good question, as I believe it's a mixed bag for many. It may actually depend on specifically where those Hispanics live at while here. I think some posters here were automatically assuming that Hispanic/Latinos were assimilating with local Black culture, but I would say it's not that simple. In parts of the suburbs of the DC area it could go either way. I've grown up and/or been around many Latinos who either have or partially have assimilated to Black American/ local culture. Again in totality I would say in totality it's still more than half of the Latinos here that are more or less still traditional.
Good points.

While there are Latinos who fully assimilate to either black or white American culture, there are also plenty who take bits and pieces of both.

Like I know these Mexican-American girls who listen to a lot of rock and pop but one of them pronounces "aunt" the black way and the other uses black twitterisms often.

I do think that the distinctly Latino American culture that you would see in 80s, 90s, early 00s shows and movies (and current ones, in an anachronistic manner) is dead, though. Seems like the social media era basically wiped that out.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:51 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
What is ‘the black way’ of saying aunt???

Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What is ‘the black way’ of saying aunt???
"Ahnt"
Here in NY, white people tend to say "ant" and black people tend to say "ahnt"

In my experience that is a very consistent thing

Old 06-16-2020, 07:05 PM

613 posts, read 327,931 times
Quote:
"Ahnt"
Here in NY, white people tend to say "ant" and black people tend to say "ahnt"

In my experience that is a very consistent thing
or Auntee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City