Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 08:27 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
"Ahnt"
Here in NY, white people tend to say "ant" and black people tend to say "ahnt"

In my experience that is a very consistent thing
Huh. In Boston, white people absolutely say “ahnt” not “ant”.

I always thought “ant” was a midwestern thing and not tied to race.

Edit: I also don’t like writing it as “ahnt”. It’s the “au” sound like in cause, Paula, or sauce. We don’t specify “cahse”, “Pahla”, or “sahse”.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-16-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 09:18 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

Edit: I also don’t like writing it as “ahnt”. It’s the “au” sound like in cause, Paula, or sauce. We don’t specify “cahse”, “Pahla”, or “sahse”.
So do you mean awnt then?

Old 06-16-2020, 09:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
or Auntee
Yeah, that was even in Black Panther

Old 06-16-2020, 09:28 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
So do you mean awnt then?
I....guess? There’s a third way to say aunt?

Could you, like, link to a youtube example or something?

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 06-16-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 12:57 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Well about 80% of Hispanics are of Mexican descent in Chicago, and it's a mixture of those that are assimilated (heavily White or Black American influenced), traditional, or somewhere in between. I've come across more of the latter. Although the Chicago region had a Hispanic presence going back to the 1920s or 1930s (Gary and East Chicago IN both had a sizable or visible Mexican population for that time period), it really began picking up steam in the 1970s, and accelerated even more some time in the 90s and 2000s(when many of the suburbs and satellite towns began to see a larger surge than the city). Almost every Hispanic I've come across are fluent in Spanish, even the ones whose accent is completely Americanized. I know one Mexican who I went to middle and high school with was a bit shaky in Spanish, meaning that he understood what was being said but wasn't truly fluent speaking it. Where most of hispanic population congregated in the more heavily hispanic/Mexican side of town, he lived around almost all Black people. That's another thing about Chicago and some suburbs even, you will find communities that are split 50/50 Black/Hispanic or majority one way or the other but will have those pockets that are heavily latino or Black. When it comes to Puerto Ricans(second major latino culture), they are more integrated/assimilated, given they are far fewer in number and there are few pockets left where they make up barely a plurality or majority. There are no suburbs where Puerto Ricans are the majority, so allows for more assimilation.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-17-2020 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 04:26 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
I've been told I look, talk, and act white.
I've also had people on the Miami CD subforum "whitesplain" to me that I am not Latino but instead, Hispanic and that "no one says Latino outside of hollywood".
There is a difference in "Latino" culture especially in Miami & S. Florida because most of them come from the Caribbean & South America instead of Mexico / Central America.
The Cubans in Miami don't call themselves "Latinos" they say they are Hispanos instead.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:40 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't know if any US born Latinos are "traditional". I find that for the most part, they either act like white people or black people.
This is the best answer given for those of you who have this belief that only the largest cities are showing assimilation. I've lived in 7 states and a number of sizable cities and metros, this is everywhere with size. Travel more...

This thread went way over people's heads in terms of missing the point, a lot of frivolous, trivial **** being mentioned...

The most "traditional" Latinos will be in smaller, more isolated areas where there are more ethnic Latinos than black or white people. Most places don't fit that description....

I think it's important to note that all Latinos are basically what Americans would consider white, black, or Native. So Latinos tend to a)assimilate into the cultures of those they look like; b)assimilate into the cultures of those they live most closely in contact with, or c)a combination of both...

A ton of people retain unique ethnic characteristics, as this is also an important time to mention that within "white" and "black" communities across the country there are a plethora of subgroups and uniqueness. So assimilating doesn't mean someone's family doesn't retain "traditional" Mexican or Cuban or whatever characteristics...

Assimilation basically means more American than the native country. I've yet to meet an American-born Latino who was more like a native-born and bred country their parents or grands came from, than like their American peers who are "black" or "white"...

Quote:
There are plenty of non-black Latinos who assimilate into AA culture too. I see it here in New York pretty often, but I hear it has become the norm elsewhere as well.

That culture has spread to the non-black parts of LA too. The most popular Hispanic musician out of LA right now is OhGeezy, a Mexican-American rapper from a not black part of LA. He says the N word more than the black rappers in his group.
You mentioned the n-word four or five times within this thread. Once was sufficient, if you even needed to mention it at all. Whether you realize it or not, you have minimized "blackness" to the n word and this is obviously a fun or huge point of conversation for you...

White Americans created the n word and largely have never stopped using it, so the word itself is only a symbol of "blackness" to closet racists and those infatuated with the term or black people. Please stop this ****. Whether we agree on its usage or not, it's as American as any other word in English, a purely American term, and there isn't an ethnic background in America that isn't touched by groups of people who use it; the "largest" population groups in America ("whites", "blacks", "Latinos", "Asians") have waves of people who use the term with impunity, as well as large groups of people who DO NOT...

Yes, may be hard for you to believe since you aren't black, but there are plenty of black people who don't use the word either...

Stop associating that **** with blackness. Its American. Our white controlled systems of power, in a nation always controlled by white shaping and narratives, has put the message out there in the hip hop era (last 35 years or so) that it's a black thing when the usage of the word obviously and clearly predates hip hop. Stop this racially-tinged n word talk, it ain't a black thing, it's an American thing, for better or worse. People who spend no personal time around black people walk around using it, hopefully this particular subject if conversation is dead and you realize how harmful it is that you perpetuate that stereotype on a mostly white website...

Assimilating into black culture (or any other) isn't defined by the n word, and isn't even on the list of "top assimilation qualities". Cut it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Spaniards practiced more of a caste system when it came to the concept of race moreso than the Americans who practiced the one drop rule.
I hope you're not intimating that the caste system is some noble structure to be applauded...

Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:

However, I don’t think “traditional” is the right word..
It isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Attached are all people I know from Boston or right around it.

Can you guess who's Black, who's Cape Verdean and who's Latino? For kicks try to guess they're ethnicity

Attachment 221155A

Attachment 221156B

Attachment 221157C

Attachment 221158D

Attachment 221159E

Attachment 221160E

Attachment 221161G

Attachment 221162H

Attachment 221163I

Attachment 221164I2

Attachment 221165K

Attachment 221166L
They are all black over here. They are different flavors of blackness, but that doesn't exclude their blackness, and I hate when we or people in general act like African descended people weren't placed anywhere else and we can't carry the cultural identifiers of where we are from or were brought to---->but people have a whole different energy of acceptance when it comes to white people from any other country...

If black Latinos or other "ethnic" blacks don't want to be viewed as blacks, despite the majority of them being American-born, they can feel free to move to whatever country of origin their people come from. That's always been my position on it, particularly given you can't really control your level of assimilation when you are born here and grow up amongst throngs of others born here. You're American by the very definition and become more normalized to American pop culture just by virtue of it, than your parents or grands who weren't born and/or raised here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Also the Tidewater, VA area (757) has a surprising number of either assimilated Latinos or Black/Latino mixed. It's a heavy Naval Base area, with decent diverse mix of cultures for a smaller metro area.
Tidewater is like any other place that is mildly populous. The Latino groups are assimilated into the people they mostly live around and/or look like...

Old 06-17-2020, 06:47 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:

Yea I thought most people say ahnt

Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It isn't...

They are all black over here. They are different flavors of blackness, but that doesn't exclude their blackness, and I hate when we or people in general act like African descended people weren't placed anywhere else and we can't carry the cultural identifiers of where we are from or were brought to---->but people have a whole different energy of acceptance when it comes to white people from any other country...

If black Latinos or other "ethnic" blacks don't want to be viewed as blacks, despite the majority of them being American-born, they can feel free to move to whatever country of origin their people come from. That's always been my position on it, particularly given you can't really control your level of assimilation when you are born here and grow up amongst throngs of others born here. You're American by the very definition and become more normalized to American pop culture just by virtue of it, than your parents or grands who weren't born and/or raised here...

Tidewater is like any other place that is mildly populous. The Latino groups are assimilated into the people they mostly live around and/or look like...
Right this is why I say in Boston when people say BlackandLatino. They really mean that as one group of brown Afro descended people. The only traditional Latinos I know of in Boston Proper stay in East Boston and the independent cities adjacent to it. And East Boston is geographically removed form other black and Latino neighorboihds-is in the far north side of the city.

That’s why I never really talk about just ADOS blacks in the context of Boston because if you spent your time trying to delineate who’s who, ethnically, it’d be awkward and unrealistic. Obviously there re people who you’d look at and sort of know they’re Latino but it’s not all that often due to the Cale Verdeans. Often times the surnames are American sounding due to intermarriage and whatnot. Eventually you find out but you’d have to get to know them

Perfect example: in this couple the woman is black (Cape Verdean) and the man is Latino (Puerto Rican). The Puerto Rican man speak regular northern AAVE. The CV woman is from Providence and sounds like Lois Griffin.Cities w/ Assimilated Latinos VS Cities w/ Traditional Latinos-85279737-d3e2-473c-9bbf-eb8321354d85.jpeg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City