Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Jose vs Pittsburgh: Which is a better city?
Pittsburgh 75 70.75%
San Jose 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Sure about that? Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Koreans, Cubans, Germans, Colombians, Central Americans, French, Polish and etc. are enjoyed and found in SJ!
Historic neighborhoods doesn't mean merely suburban-like areas of newer immigrants. SJ has some older more urban areas. But the % of the overall city since new growth skyrocket .... is small. Part f the meaning of "historic" is .... long established areas many times etch enclaves of old that may retain the flavor and influence from them. Housing stock restaurants etc. still retain the character.

Newer growth cities lack the character of newer areas still establishing one where shops and eateries in the commercial corridor over the housing area show most of it.

Again, Legacy cities have much more history with declines sadly and reviving of neighborhoods the old character is not totally lost. Some changed totally com a European ethic enclave to a Hispanic one or other .... but they make it there own also as it merely takes on new traits and life.

SJ has too much new and suburban to be like older urban enclaves called Historic today. But still these newer areas are noteworthy but you don't get how even a SF vs SJ has one city truly the Historic significance and Character a newer fast growing area more suburban will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Sure about that? Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, Malaysians, Koreans, Cubans, Germans, Colombians, Central Americans, French, Polish and etc. are enjoyed and found in SJ!
I'm really glad minoroties are "enjoyed" in San Jose.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Pittsburgh has much better neighborhoods to get great food like Italian and who can forget Polish pierogi. Universities and medical care is also outstanding in Pittsburgh. The winter snowy Pittsburgh hills can be a challenge but weather isn't everything.
Sorry, but on the diversity and diversity-of-cuisine scale, Pittsburgh has some catching up to do. The population is whiter and skews heavily towards Central/Eastern European ethnic groups. You're going to get better fare from those countries there than in most other US cities (perhaps even any other US city), but unless I'm very much mistaken, you're not going to find lots in the way of South Asian, Caribbean, Central Asian, Latin American other than Mexican (and I'm not sure about that), or African cuisines in the "Burgh. SJ has Pittsburgh beat there, and so does Pittsburgh's cross-state counterpart.

On scenery, I'd say that the only city in the United States that rivals its natural setting is San Francisco, however.

I happen to like four seasons too. Judging from the population migration statistics, however, mine is a minority preference.

To the OP: What legacy cities have that SJ lacks is summed up in that one word - "legacy" - and it's that legacy that gives them a character that most of the newer Sunbelt cities lack. San Jose is one of the latter, while San Francisco and Oakland up the road are both the former. Even Los Angeles (which was founded in 1782) can claim a certain "legacy" character that makes it distinctive in a way most think San Jose isn't.

I could also cite you polls that rank some of the cities you've put SJ up against higher than SJ. On shopping, for instance, there was a Condé Nast Traveler poll three years ago that asked readers to give their choices for best shopping cities in the world. Philadelphia placed second on that list, behind only Barcelona, a result that surprised just about everyone, including me. But a stroll along North Third Street or through the Reading Terminal Market (and I assure you there's nothing like that public market in SJ; the only place on the West Coast that outranks it is Seattle's famed Pike Place Market) would lead most observers to, if not agree, then to at least understand what that mag's readers saw in the place.

Shoot, you even nominate a planned shopping center that's modeled after an older one in another city altogether as a model the world wants to emulate when it's that other center that the one in San Jose is emulating.

We're all glad you think the world of SJ. But as I said over on another thread, the whole in many other cities is greater than the sum of its parts. In SJ, at least in the eyes of most, the whole is no more than the sum of its parts, and that makes it "lesser" in their eyes. I suspect that many off C-D would offer similar assessments of the cities you've put SJ up against to those that have been given here.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sorry, but on the diversity and diversity-of-cuisine scale, Pittsburgh has some catching up to do. The population is whiter and skews heavily towards Central/Eastern European ethnic groups. You're going to get better fare from those countries there than in most other US cities (perhaps even any other US city), but unless I'm very much mistaken, you're not going to find lots in the way of South Asian, Caribbean, Central Asian, Latin American other than Mexican (and I'm not sure about that), or African cuisines in the "Burgh. SJ has Pittsburgh beat there, and so does Pittsburgh's cross-state counterpart.

On scenery, I'd say that the only city in the United States that rivals its natural setting is San Francisco, however.

I happen to like four seasons too. Judging from the population migration statistics, however, mine is a minority preference.

To the OP: What legacy cities have that SJ lacks is summed up in that one word - "legacy" - and it's that legacy that gives them a character that most of the newer Sunbelt cities lack. San Jose is one of the latter, while San Francisco and Oakland up the road are both the former. Even Los Angeles (which was founded in 1782) can claim a certain "legacy" character that makes it distinctive in a way most think San Jose isn't.

I could also cite you polls that rank some of the cities you've put SJ up against higher than SJ. On shopping, for instance, there was a Condé Nast Traveler poll three years ago that asked readers to give their choices for best shopping cities in the world. Philadelphia placed second on that list, behind only Barcelona, a result that surprised just about everyone, including me. But a stroll along North Third Street or through the Reading Terminal Market (and I assure you there's nothing like that public market in SJ; the only place on the West Coast that outranks it is Seattle's famed Pike Place Market) would lead most observers to, if not agree, then to at least understand what that mag's readers saw in the place.

Shoot, you even nominate a planned shopping center that's modeled after an older one in another city altogether as a model the world wants to emulate when it's that other center that the one in San Jose is emulating.

We're all glad you think the world of SJ. But as I said over on another thread, the whole in many other cities is greater than the sum of its parts. In SJ, at least in the eyes of most, the whole is no more than the sum of its parts, and that makes it "lesser" in their eyes. I suspect that many off C-D would offer similar assessments of the cities you've put SJ up against to those that have been given here.

I guess he was trying to argue that Pittsburgh has a more diverse Caucasian population than SJ. I would say even that's debatable.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Let's review:

1. Diversity: San Jose rein in supreme!
2. Economy: San Jose(Silicon Valley) rein in supreme
3. Weather: San Jose rein in supreme
4. Population: San Jose got a hold of Pittsburgh there
5. Shopping: San Jose creams it here
6. Weather: well, you know it

These are without doubt and discrepancy! San Jose got this one over Pittsburgh, based on these criteria. However, Pittsburgh beats SJ in city data anyway just like any city would.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Let's review:

1. Diversity: San Jose rein in supreme!
2. Economy: San Jose(Silicon Valley) rein in supreme
3. Weather: San Jose rein in supreme
4. Population: San Jose got a hold of Pittsburgh there
5. Shopping: San Jose creams it here
6. Weather: well, you know it

These are without doubt and discrepancy! San Jose got this one over Pittsburgh, based on these criteria. However, Pittsburgh beats SJ in city data anyway just like any city would.
If you felt SJ creams supreme in virtually everything over Pittsburgh.... to create this thread was of ill intent of boasterism overkill and unfair to seeing it soooo huge in your eyes.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Quote:
San Jose lost to newer cities: San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, and Sacramento. It lost to every city there its, new or legacy in city data. In real world, it's pretty much the winner!!! Just pay attention to news and polls.
Who cares if SJ lose in the polls. The only thing that should matter is what you think. If SJ offers all the things you like and enjoy and are happy there then great.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Who cares if SJ lose in the polls. The only thing that should matter is what you think. If SJ offers all the things you like and enjoy and are happy there then great.
What he said.

But: if you keep posting these "comparison polls" expecting everyone to accept your opinion of the place, and they don't, you should probably quit posting them, for you make yourself look like a troll.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If you felt SJ creams supreme in virtually everything over Pittsburgh.... to create this thread was of ill intent of boasterism overkill and unfair to seeing it soooo huge in your eyes.
I don't make things up: San Jose is bigger than Pittsburgh 1 million over 300,000. San Jose economy is Silicon Valley. San Jose happens to really cream this city. No one can deny the weather and diversity make SJ a superior city. This is reality! If it creams just about all the metrics, then it's life. I didn't create SJ and make things up. Pittsburgh is not the only city SJ creams: Philly, San Diego, Boston and etc. It's with real hard facts backed by actual research groups I put for you.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I don't make things up: San Jose is bigger than Pittsburgh 1 million over 300,000. San Jose economy is Silicon Valley. San Jose happens to really cream this city. No one can deny the weather and diversity make SJ a superior city. This is reality! If it creams just about all the metrics, then it's life. I didn't create SJ and make things up. Pittsburgh is not the only city SJ creams: Philly, San Diego, Boston and etc. It's with real hard facts backed by actual research groups I put for you.
One more time:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts in all of the cities you've mentioned.

SJ may have all of that (and I disagree with you on the weather, as San Jose lacks winter, but I'm a four-seasons guy in a world where people think that they should have endless summer without learning what winter has to teach them) in greater quantities than those other cities, but just having more of something isn't enough sometimes. There's the chemistry, the synergy, the character to reckon with too.

Not to mention that you've been called on some of your stats and assertions. San Jose, for instance, does not have a large black population. Not by national standards, not by Bay Area ones even (and San Francisco also has precious few black folk anymore as well. They're all in Oakland and the East Bay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City