Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times

Advertisements

As much as I love Southern California, Chicago tops LA. Then again Chicago tops all the major US cities in my opinion.

and one more thing....Go Sox!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
Yes, they are St Louis and Detroit transplants
That is because the owner of the Blackhawks is the antichrist

Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
That is because the owner of the Blackhawks is the antichrist
That may be true. I haven't been to a Blackhawks game since 2002 against that hockey team from Armpit, MI. They were getting too expensive to take my sons to, and after the strike, even HDTV hasn't brought me back around.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times
It would sure be nice if Wirtz would put the home games on TV -- I think that's the biggest issue facing the Hawks. Most fans can't afford to go to all games, or they don't have the time/means to do so -- they want to see the rest on TV. If they're not on TV, people lose interest.

Somewhat related in moving to Chicago... how easy is it to meet people there? I'm not someone who meets people well through clubs, churches, etc., and I don't have kids, so schools aren't really a way to meet people. I tend to just meet people in day-to-day life.. maybe at a hockey game, maybe at a restaurant or bar, maybe a neighbor, maybe someone in a store. Is it easy for newcomers to meet people that way? When I lived in Minnesota, it was impossible to meet people in day-to-day life, and I never really got to know anyone. California, on the other hand, I find it easy and quick to meet people. Where does Chicago fall on that spectrum?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
Default they stink

The biggest issue facing the Hawks is that they are god-awful, and have been for at least the last 10 years. Home games were never on TV in the 80s and the stadium was packed every night. I really miss those days.

That being said, until Mr. Wirtz passes away we will never see many home games on TV and that's a shame. A bad team + no TV = entire lost generation of fans

Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 AM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago I feel safe in, LA I did not. Not one bit. Healthier? Id say Chicago, the air quality in general just looks better. Plus, in LA, you have to drive everywhere, their downtown is a joke, nothing to do like in Chicago, whereas here we can walk everywhere, which is healthier. Scenery? LA hands down, they have hills and the ocean, and palm trees as well. For man-made "scenery", Chicago is more beautiful. You cant argue with Chicago's beautiful skyline. Better? Thats a matter of opinion, and mine is Chicago. IMO its waaaaay better. LA has some beautiful areas, but on a whole its a dump, full of illegals and crime and smog and traffic.
Steve-0, answer yourself one question. How much longer has Chicago been a major city than Los Angeles for?...WAY LONGER! the skyline LA has was not there 20 years ago. So how can you compare the two? Last time I checked Los Angeles is visited more than Chicago! Los Angeles now overshadows Chicago! also, Los Angeles is not a dump because if it was it wouldnt be the most photographed city in the world. Im sorry but what attractions does Chicago have besides the lakes, and its architecture?...the music and pizza? Wow, theres music and pizza all over the country. Also, if theres traffic in Los Angeles its because of the millions of people that want to live in this city. Los Angeles has about ten major freeways in the county and it still isnt enough for the crowds of people that want to come to this city. Chicago at one point was better than LA but sadly it hasnt kept up with it.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Did you really have to dig up a 6-months-dormant thread to respond to an 8-month-old comment?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Did you really have to dig up a 6-months-dormant thread to respond to an 8-month-old comment?
what do you think I am an idiot? its the first time I ever saw the comment. Also, Ive only been a member of this cite for less than a month. You know what they say "Better late than never"

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 AM

48 posts, read 188,466 times
LA is photographed due to the obsession with Hollywood and celebrity. Same reason for New York and fashion. People flock to LA because of the perceived lifestyle and weather. I stress the word "perceived" vs reality. Unless you are upper middle income/wealthy your "quality of life" will decline in LA. The roads are overcrowded because of population growth. Also, there was little urban planning over the years and no thought process regarding public transit. Average price in a somewhat safer neighborhood is 650K for a small 2 bedroom, 1200 sq ft home and higher in better neighborhoods. LA is a city that is on the decline due to the poor city services and lack of planning. Chicago is a beautiful, vibrant city and continues to get better over time. That is not the case in LA. Many natives always talk of how it used to be beautiful -- in the past tense. By the way, Chicago pizza is superior to LA pizza unless you tend to like Pizza Hut style pizza!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
LA is photographed due to the obsession with Hollywood and celebrity. Same reason for New York and fashion. People flock to LA because of the perceived lifestyle and weather. I stress the word "perceived" vs reality. Unless you are upper middle income/wealthy your "quality of life" will decline in LA. The roads are overcrowded because of population growth. Also, there was little urban planning over the years and no thought process regarding public transit. Average price in a somewhat safer neighborhood is 650K for a small 2 bedroom, 1200 sq ft home and higher in better neighborhoods. LA is a city that is on the decline due to the poor city services and lack of planning. Chicago is a beautiful, vibrant city and continues to get better over time. That is not the case in LA. Many natives always talk of how it used to be beautiful -- in the past tense. By the way, Chicago pizza is superior to LA pizza unless you tend to like Pizza Hut style pizza!
Obviously you dont know what you are talking about and you do very little research on what you say. "Chicago a city that continues to get better?" yes its good but what major changes has the city done in the past 25 years? Compare Los Angeles now to Los Angeles in the early 1980's...BIG DIFFERENCE. Los Angeles is not going on the decline it recently spent billions of dollars on the renovation of Downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, and Universal City. There are new condos and apartments being built all over the city and new houses as well even in the lower income neighborhoods for those who want to buy a home. The freeways are also being expanded with more carpool lanes and better roads. Plus, public transportation is being improved and expanded to lower the amount of traffic on the highways. Have you heard about the new project in downtown Los Angeles being called "LA Live"...its a major project which is made up of three phases and the first phase is currently being completed. Its expected that all three phases will be completed by the year 2010. The "LA live" project is without comparison to anything in the country, but thats not only new projects in downtown Los Angeles...The Grand Avenue is also gonna go through major renovations in the next couple of years to become a type of "Champs-Elysees" in Los Angeles. A couple months ago there was a documentary about Los Angeles on ABC which talked about how "Los Angeles today is going to be irrecognizable in the year 2020" due to all the renovations its doing. View more on LAlive here:
YouTube - LA Live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City