Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:57 PM

367 posts, read 584,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Not anymore: now are great downtowns. It was true just 8 years ago though
I

It's been a few years since I was in downtown LA but I was in downtown Dallas a couple of months ago and it is nothing but highways, blank skyscraper walls, and parking garages. Deep Ellum area was ok but there is not much else that is noteworthy compared to even much smaller cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Tier 1:

NYC

Tier 2:

Chicago
SF
Boston
Philly
DC

Tier 3:

Seattle
Portland
LA
Baltimore

Tier 4:

Basically everyone else
There is no way that Portland, a city with a majority of science-denying kooks, is a "Teir 3" city.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-fluoridation/

Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
I was wondering why high rises would be a criterion-maybe for the sake of a sky line?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
The urban experience is just as good in New Orleans as it is in Chicago and Seattle in my opinion.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
I

It's been a few years since I was in downtown LA but I was in downtown Dallas a couple of months ago and it is nothing but highways, blank skyscraper walls, and parking garages. Deep Ellum area was ok but there is not much else that is noteworthy compared to even much smaller cities.
Uptown Dallas is awesome and is now part of the whole downtown district. These two areas are now 1 since the completion of a park system connecting the two. Now, downtown is great and thriving!!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
It makes no sense. Highrises have nothing to do with relative vibrancy.

They may even be vibrancy killers, at least in cities where highrises are accompanied by massive parking podiums (which would be most U.S. cities).

The best urban neighborhoods in the U.S., by far, are in Manhattan between maybe Chambers Street and 23rd Street. Those areas, while they contain highrises, are really more midrise in nature, and more important, contain almost no typical U.S.-style highrises, with the tower block and the vibrancy-sucking podium base.
You should realize that podium-style done with retail and commercial street-level works quite well with vibrancy today. I still remember when you insisted NYC had no podium buildings .... Then a street-view was presented proving there is.

No city will build tenements again and I recommend podium high-rises for fast growing sunbelt cities. If not ..... they build a separate garage that is worse in vibrancy killing. But again, it needs to be done right and it can hide a garage even exist behind the retail and eateries. I've seen them with grocery chains street-level.

I like a businesses and eateries .... on corridors nearby and a quiet residential tight-knit residences with some green-frontage. In neighborhoods off the main streets with the commercial establishments. For me that is.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Look at the criteria. The OP mentioned highrises as a requirement. Unless the OP counts buildings between 130’-160’ as highrises which is only 12-14 stories, DC wouldn’t have any. Vibrancy, pedestrian traffic, restaurants, mass transit, and shopping are not apart of the criteria which DC excels in so based on the criteria, it explains why DC would be omitted. None of the traditional European cities like Paris would be ranked based on this list either.
Sorry I didn’t see Washington I need a thicker set!

Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
I

"A few years" have yielded a vast difference in both cities. Both have made enormous strides.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:06 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You should realize that podium-style done with retail and commercial street-level works quite well with vibrancy today.
On the contrary, I realize you're making stuff up. Parking podiums are terrible for urban street life.
Quote:
I still remember when you insisted NYC had no podium buildings .... Then a street-view was presented proving there is.
And again, you're making stuff up. I never "insisted NYC had no podium buildings", ever. How could a metro of 24 million not have a single structured surface parking spot?

It has far fewer than any other U.S. city, though, which is a major reason it has, by far, the best street level feel of any U.S. city.

Quote:
No city will build tenements again and I recommend podium high-rises for fast growing sunbelt cities.
And a third time, making stuff up. Tenement-style buildings are built in large numbers today, all around the world, including in NYC.

And your "urban planning recommendations" would not be taken seriously by any professional urban planner.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
On the contrary, I realize you're making stuff up. Parking podiums are terrible for urban street life.

And again, you're making stuff up. I never "insisted NYC had no podium buildings", ever. How could a metro of 24 million not have a single structured surface parking spot?

It has far fewer than any other U.S. city, though, which is a major reason it has, by far, the best street level feel of any U.S. city.

And a third time, making stuff up. Tenement-style buildings are built in large numbers today, all around the world, including in NYC.

And your "urban planning recommendations" would not be taken seriously by any professional urban planner.
If I took the time to find that thread.... going back many many months? You argued the point till a poster put up a street-view. Really irreverent, but I remember the argument. As for podium-style. If done right they work fine in cities where it still isn't price prohibitive to use for a garage in a apt/condo high-rise.

Again, I should not need to pst street-views f some done right. Like I said.... eateries with sidewalk seating to grocery stores. I've seen street-level in Chicago. I agree earlier examples pre-200s had too meant lacking. Developers today know they must provide something for better chances of city approval today in green-space to street-level offerings. Then there is incorporating older buildings nestdoir that already have the street-level over leveling it. Adds density and still a urban lifestyle with a choice of a luxury car having its own little condo nearby. So when a weekend getaway happens..... you just drive and enjoy. Otherwise you live car-free with still plenty all around in a great city too.

You do realize I'm not addressing the World's cities..... but talking the US? You do realize .... tenements many times became sardine packed slums for immigrants back in the day. It took a NYC journalist to highlight many conditions in them. It played a key roll (along with a Big Chicago Fire to tarnish tenement building in that city. Giving to the creation of the Court-Yard apartment building there.
Tenements provided housing for the masses. Modernized today and mostly small apartments .... some see them as a urban best example. Not everyone.

Some people are not fond of highest density living. That isn't made up. If you found your paradise in Brooklyn or other NYC Borough's ..... great. You pay for it and have every right to boast it is the best in a urban experience. Doesn't mean all agree or that other cities can also offer a preferred or more moderate urban setting. Dense but not overwhelming as a quiet block to go home to .... can still mean a vibrant retail corridor nearby to walk to.

Chicago can manage a great urban experience.... even with podium high-rises, warehousing to lofts, Newer Bostonian terraced town-housing and other kinds. You have many choices around the core. Only limit is price you can afford. It has nothing to do with any need to match NYC densities.

I responded merely to disagree podium-style high-rises kill urbanity street-level .... especially today if a developer and Architects build them right with street-level offerings too. I don't think I need to post street-view better examples .... see it as opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City