Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Where is DC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Look at the criteria. The OP mentioned highrises as a requirement. Unless the OP counts buildings between 130’-160’ as highrises which is only 12-14 stories, DC wouldn’t have any. Vibrancy, pedestrian traffic, restaurants, mass transit, and shopping are not apart of the criteria which DC excels in so based on the criteria, it explains why DC would be omitted. None of the traditional European cities like Paris would be ranked based on this list either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
If said list excludes great cities like DC, Paris or London for their lack of "verticality", then I see nothing valid about it.
Atlanta? I could care less on that score. "Oh, boo hoo, we're not on the list."
That's your pound of flesh, not mine.
You really are a piece of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
Are you trying to suggest D.C. is not a real city?

Skyscrapers aren't the defining criteria for what makes a "real city" (yes it is part of it and happens to be #2 on the OP's personal criteria). Is Dublin not a real city? What about Rome or Copenhagen or Lisbon? They seemed like large bustling metropolises when I visited them. Most of them had more vibrancy and life than a majority of the cities listed already. They all lack height as well, but more than make up for it with the other criteria listed. D.C. is the same way.
DC is #10, called Washington; and the list is for US (America's in the OP) cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:40 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
DC is #10, called Washington; and the list is for US (America's in the OP) cities.
I think the point people are trying to make is related to the criteria. The majority of people would use a different criteria for ranking downtowns like retail, restaurants, vibrancy, entertainment, and public transit when ranking downtowns which was omitted from the OP’s list. Obviously, using that criteria would completely change this list though. Everyone is entitled to make their own threads and use their own criteria though so we should respect the OP’s thread. We can all respectfully choose not to participate if we don’t agree with the criteria selected by the OP.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:43 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
I think the point people are trying to make is related to the criteria. The majority of people would use a different criteria for ranking downtowns like retail, restaurants, vibrancy, entertainment, and public transit when ranking downtowns which was omitted from the OP’s list. Obviously, using that criteria would completely change this list though. Everyone is entitled to make their own threads and use their own criteria though so we should respect the OP’s thread. We can all respectfully choose not to participate if we don’t agree with the criteria selected by the OP.
Well stated.
As for me, I've never understood this phallocentric approach to urbanism, anyway. What would Dr. Freud say?

Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 AM

367 posts, read 585,186 times
Dallas and Las Angeles have awful downtowns

Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Personally for an urban core?

Chicago
New York
New Orleans
Philly
Boston
San Fran
DC
Seattle

Honorable mention, Denver, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Portland

Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Personally for an urban core?

Chicago
New York
New Orleans
Philly
Boston
San Fran
DC
Seattle

Honorable mention, Denver, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Portland
This is a much better list than the one previously presented.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

No. koji7 asked where is DC and the others, apparently without bothering to read the OP, took great offense.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No. koji7 asked where is DC and the others, apparently without bothering to read the OP, took great offense.
Yes, Denver and DC were tied at #11. A pretty uneven pairing, indeed.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I'm only gonna base this off of cities that I've spent significant amounts of time in:

NYC
Chicago
Philly
Boston
SF
DC
LA

Of the cities I know well enough after that, it's a steep drop off from those.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:19 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Philadelphia is certainly in the top 5, arguable number 3 or 4. Seattle should be further down.

NYC
Chicago
SF/PHL/BOS
DC

Those are the clear front runners if you are comparing downtowns.
The only tough one is LA because the downtown is dreary, but there are tons of other vibrant urban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City