Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
OK, I’ll bite — what exactly are parking podiums? Am I the only one that never heard the term before? Is it just another name for those multi-level parking garages like you find near airports? Because a Google search only shows me pictures of those and articles about Downtown LA.
There are a few... probably very few in Manhattan given the price to give to a garage and smaller and smaller blueprint of land they are on.

I posted some street-views of some. Here are a couple some hide there is a gage there pretty good. Older ones especially did not.

Here is one tat hides it pretty well. You almost need to see the garage entrance to know. But if the base has a larger covered area then the high-rise shooting up.... most likely it is a podium-style one.

Small blueprint podium. Windows above street-level eatery are fake basically and where the garage is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8967...7i13312!8i6656

Same showing the garage entrance

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8963...7i13312!8i6656

Another one with a busy eatery.... it did nt give a fake treatment to where the garage is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8933...7i13312!8i6656

Another high-end one. Gave a window treatment above the retail street-level. But it hides the garage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8940...7i13312!8i6656

This is a Big footprint podium with a whole foods street-level.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8948...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by DavePa; 05-15-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
podiums suck but > surface parking lots in high density urban environments. They're going the way of the dodo bird in Chicago, thank goodness.
I love seeing so many of Chicago's surface lots getting developed (especially in River North where in the past you couldn't move a block in any direction without seeing one). As great as DT Chicago already is, it would be even better if these monstrosities disappeared, the sooner the better. The ones that have always bothered me especially are the massive ones at State & Chicago, Wabash & Hubbard, and the few remaining (but large) ones in Streeterville. South Loop between Michigan & State (south of Van Buren) is also still a mess.

Large surface lots in an otherwise beautiful downtown is like ugly acne on an otherwise beautiful woman. Spoils the look.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
All this Chicago's core has with podiums. Seems this old notion on podiums on bland parking garages with nothing else street level is not getting through. I posted examples and not sinking in. Done right they work just fine.

If you find Chicago sub-par for them... you can keep promoting Toronto is superior to every US city but NYC including its high-rises. But you might get some arguments.
You're making stuff up! I said I can separate cities and that is EXACTLY what I did and my comment was generic about how a podium should be vs shouldn't. It has nothing to do with Chicago or Toronto so I don't know why you are making this a Chi v Tor vs. Most of T.O's development, at least in the last 10-15 years in the DT core do not have parking in their podiums. That said, some do and they are just as atrocious imo as anywhere else. Show me one post where I was talking smack about Chicago's podiums - ever so STOP making stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Certainly, not killing its vibrancy. I get Toronto rocks for you and is more the level of NYC then Chicago for you...... Chicago still rocks for me. Clearly, not losing any vibrancy choosing podium-style done better today then in the past.

Guess if podiums kill..... Chicago's downtown is in decline by all being built.
What are you going on about!? You're making stuff up yet again. I'm not familiar with what Chicago does with its podiums. As for Toronto -it does some things right with its highrise development and some things wrong. I said you could probably say that about any city that is building a lot of stuff in the DT core. I made it clear - when it comes to a podium or the base of a building, I simply prefer one that marries well with the streetscape and is inviting to pedestrians and humans vs cars. It is my preference and that preference has nothing to do with Toronto.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 AM

48 posts, read 42,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Chicago is diminished for this reason too, though it's still a great city.
Maybe diminished in your eyes, but Chicago is, easily, the second best downtown in the US. You mentioned Seattle in other posts....it's homeless problem is being brought to the forefront, by Amazon's reluctance to pay the head tax. I loved Seattle when I visited, but in no way, would I want to live there. The homeless problem wasn't nearly as rampant when I visited there, a decade ago. It will be interesting to follow in the news, how Seattle deals with this growing problem.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I love seeing so many of Chicago's surface lots getting developed (especially in River North where in the past you couldn't move a block in any direction without seeing one). As great as DT Chicago already is, it would be even better if these monstrosities disappeared, the sooner the better. The ones that have always bothered me especially are the massive ones at State & Chicago, Wabash & Hubbard, and the few remaining (but large) ones in Streeterville. South Loop between Michigan & State (south of Van Buren) is also still a mess.

Large surface lots in an otherwise beautiful downtown is like ugly acne on an otherwise beautiful woman. Spoils the look.
The one at State and Chicago is all approved to be the 6th tallest in the city, Chicago Square

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/1/18...ll-development

The one at Hubbard and Wabash has plans to be a retail and possibly highrise complex with elevated sidewalks and plazas over the intersections

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/6/28...mall-expansion

One of the last prominent lots east of Michigan is also poised for a 1,000+ foot tall tower set to rise. It would be Chicago's second tallest.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel

Just yesterday they released plans for the old Chicago Spire site. It would be a 1,100 foot and 850 foot tapered towers.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...482774061.html

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2018 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: violation of rules for posting images

Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
From what I hear the Hubbard and Wabash proposal is highly unlikely unfortunately. That parking lot is so ugly

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 11:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Yeah they tore down the previous building for a new development. Something will certainly come to that spot, they're running out of any open lots in high traffic areas.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
Skyscrapercity.com go to ”supertalls” and look at the construction going up now for 1000’ + and also proposed. Also check “skyscrapers” for buildings in the sub 1000’ category. NY has a ton right now...one is going up next to a project I’m working on.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Skyscrapercity.com go to ”supertalls” and look at the construction going up now for 1000’ + and also proposed. Also check “skyscrapers” for buildings in the sub 1000’ category. NY has a ton right now...one is going up next to a project I’m working on.
New York is out of control with the supertalls. I will say, many are of the pencil-thin variety with not many units. Oil dudes from Oman buying a full floor, zooming in once or twice a year to check out NYC.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
New York is out of control with the supertalls. I will say, many are of the pencil-thin variety with not many units. Oil dudes from Oman buying a full floor, zooming in once or twice a year to check out NYC.

They won’t let me rep you anymore LOL! But you’re right, here in NY there’s no space to build so tall and thin residential is the hot ticket. In Chicago there’s much more room to construct and with less restrictions and NIMBY’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City