Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This notion is so outdated. When was the last time you were in DC? When you visited downtown DC, which downtown neighborhoods did you visit? Penn Quarter? Mt. Vernon Triangle? Gallery Place/City Center? Logan Circle? DuPont Circle? Foggy Bottom? Golden Triangle? Midtown? NOMA/Union Market? or Eastend Union Station? Only Midtown and Golden Triangle are office parks and Golden Triangle has some of the busiest nightlife in DC on Friday and Saturday nights.

As for pizza, did you try Wise Guys Pizza in Mt. Vernon Triangle? I have never met anybody who didn’t like it.
MD everyone knows the truth or at least anyone that’s well travelled, why do you respond to statements like this? Just ignore is my motto…unless it just gets to be too much and you can’t help it arrrghhhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:14 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is no way that Portland, a city with a majority of science-denying kooks, is a "Teir 3" city.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-fluoridation/
I'm sorry, but I didn't see 'a majority of the city's citizenry being in favor of water fluoridation' listed as a criterion by the OP. What careless reading on my part.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Lol false. Philly offers pizza is just as good or arguably even better than NYC.
LOL, definitely no. Philly is not a big neighborhood corner pizza town. A good street corner slice in Philly is about as common as good cheesesteaks in NYC.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,438 times
I am surprised to not see Austin in any of these comments, especially when there are other cities such as, KC, STL, Detroit, Indy, Charlotte, SA, Cleveland, Dallas, LA, Houston, Portland, Pittsburgh, and other similar cities being mentioned. For a metro of under 2.5 million, Austin has a large and very vibrant downtown area.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:42 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This notion is so outdated. When was the last time you were in DC? When you visited downtown DC, which downtown neighborhoods did you visit? Penn Quarter? Mt. Vernon Triangle? Gallery Place/City Center? Logan Circle? DuPont Circle? Foggy Bottom? Golden Triangle? Midtown? NOMA/Union Market? or Eastend Union Station? Only Midtown and Golden Triangle are office parks and Golden Triangle has some of the busiest nightlife in DC on Friday and Saturday nights.

As for pizza, did you try Wise Guys Pizza in Mt. Vernon Triangle? I have never met anybody who didn’t like it.
I was talking about the downtown, not the neighborhoods outside downtown.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:24 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I was talking about the downtown, not the neighborhoods outside downtown.
FYI. Neighborhoods inside downtown DC: Penn Quarter, Chinatown, Mount Vernon Triangle, City Center, Judiciary Square, and Golden Triangle/K Street.

Expanded list of neighborhoods with Downtown (D) zoning that may be new to some posters on here: NoMa, Navy Yard

"Downtown" is a pretty useless term for DC in my opinion, considering there are 6+ distinct neighborhoods within what is considered Downtown DC, all with their own character. It covers too large an area to just label "Downtown" and expect that it is all the same and can be generalized. For instance, the Downtown DC Business Improvement District covers the Penn Quarter, Chinatown, and City Center neighborhoods. The K Street part of downtown is covered by the Golden Triangle Business Improvement District.

Penn Quarter, Chinatown, and City Center are the liveliest 18-hour neighborhoods in Downtown DC that offer much more than a slice of pizza (wink) and can compete with the top downtowns in the country for retail, restaurants, pedestrian activity, and entertainment. FYI.

NoMa and Navy Yard neighborhoods were recently updated to Downtown zoning with the most recent DC Office of Zoning code rewrite.

http://maps.dcoz.dc.gov/zr16/#l=13&x...!4!8!1!2&dcb=0

FYI. The National Mall is not in Downtown DC. There is secondary downtown emerging, which is south of the National Mall in Navy Yard and SW Waterfront area. The primary downtown is north of the National Mall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Mall

Last edited by revitalizer; 05-13-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Toronto forced high-rises to paces garages underground. But it doesn't mean it offers more street-level. For Chicago it has its city underground garages for nearly 2000 cars and embraced the podium high-rise. Seems to work for it.
There are varying degrees of success that Toronto has had with respect to how highrises interact with street level vitality and vibrancy. Some very good, some horrible. Such as the case with a city building such a vast number of highrises.. In any event, I fundamentally agree with you that highriese or skyscrapers alone don't necessarily kill urban vibrancy. As a counterpoint to some narratives, the increased number of residents in said highrise may not necessarilty increase vibrancy in the ambient area, however they may increase vibrancy tremendously in others areas that already have established vibrancy since you have an overall increased number of resident in the area is far better than urban decay. Unless of course those resident always live in their condos or apartments which I find highly unlikely.

A highrise or skyscraper that incorporates restaurants, retail and other more embracing attributes to how it interrelates to the street however is more desirable to a podium dedicated only to parking. I mean this is just common sense.

Here I introduce you to Aura. It is the tallest all residential highrise in Canada at 270 Metres (900 ft) tall - it is a behemoth residential building of office tower proportions. It is not particularly beautiful or notable architecturally but its podium is NOT parking and at the very least has a restarants, shops, a gym etc so that to me is far more a better example of a building that marries highrise street level vitality/vibrancy than simply a parking podium that screams - stay away from me unless you are a car!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
America's Best big city downtowns 2018 update: A lot has changed in the last few years. Some downtowns that were afterthoughts are among the best. Whole Urban Core is included here.

Criteria:

1. Vitality
2. High rises
3. Walkability
4. Ambiance
5. Safety
6. population
7. Cleanliness
8. Overall Appeal

1. NY
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. SF
5. Seattle
6. Boston
7. Philly
8. Houston
9. Miami
10.Portland
11.Denver/Washington tie
12.Dallas
13.Detroit
14.Minneapolis
15.San Antonio
16.Pittsburgh

Honorable Mentions: Austin, Nashville, Cleveland and Milwaukee
So the confusing part is how you're defining "big city". Including your honorable mentions, where Milwaukeeis your smallest listed city, you're basically including every city of a 1.5 million metro or larger. Looking at your 16, Pittsburgh is your smallest city, so you're including every city of 2.3 million or larger. So basically your "big city" list includes somewhere between 27 and 40 cities? This is very broad and confusing and should be broken down by size classes...

I can tell you right now omitting Atlanta was a mistake, just reviewing some of your other choices, and believe me, I'm no fan of Atlanta...Downtown Cleveland is okay, but there are gaps in vibrancy, and there are definitely other cities that should be ahead of Cleveland; iys not a Top 20 downtown. Cleveland is a cool city bit downtown is not its best selling point...

DC is really low on your list!

Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,790 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. DC
7. Seattle
8. Portland
9. Los Angeles
10. Pittsburgh

Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So the confusing part is how you're defining "big city". Including your honorable mentions, where Milwaukeeis your smallest listed city, you're basically including every city of a 1.5 million metro or larger. Looking at your 16, Pittsburgh is your smallest city, so you're including every city of 2.3 million or larger. So basically your "big city" list includes somewhere between 27 and 40 cities? This is very broad and confusing and should be broken down by size classes...

I can tell you right now omitting Atlanta was a mistake, just reviewing some of your other choices, and believe me, I'm no fan of Atlanta...Downtown Cleveland is okay, but there are gaps in vibrancy, and there are definitely other cities that should be ahead of Cleveland; iys not a Top 20 downtown. Cleveland is a cool city bit downtown is not its best selling point...

DC is really low on your list!
Cleveland is certainly above Nashville but yes there are omitted cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City