Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, due to Syracuse having a bigger college presence within the city, nearby neighborhoods to the east tend to be generally middle class and in turn, has its share of white collar folks as well. I’d still give it to Rochester in terms of being more white collar, but I believe that Syracuse actually has more census blocks groups with 6 figure median household incomes than Rochester within city limits.
Street views: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0646...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0348...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Just under 6 figures MHHI: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0420...6!9m2!1b1!2i38
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,533 times
Syracuse wins in sports, concerts, shopping, and the NY State fair in Syracuse is better than any festival Rocchester has to offer. The AMP on the lake is better than anything Rochester has to offer concert wise. Destiny USA is better than anything Rochester has to offer shopping and entertainment wise. Where are you going to go for a sporting event in Rochester? Syracuse plays National champions in football and Basketball all the time and beats them in the Dome. Duke in Basketball. Clemson in football. Being central located wins. Nobody has ever heard of Rochester out of the North East maybe. If you want entertainment concerts, sports, 6th biggest mall in America Syracuse wins. Rochester is ok. Maybe they can get sports someday instead of living through Cuse and Buffalo? Also Rochester is as ghetto as Syracuse. Been to Rochester more than 50 times in my life. Nothing special about Rochester IMO. A lot of snobs that have a complex with Cuse and Buffalo that always got to make themselves feel better.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse31584 View Post
Syracuse wins in sports, concerts, shopping, and the NY State fair in Syracuse is better than any festival Rocchester has to offer. The AMP on the lake is better than anything Rochester has to offer concert wise. Destiny USA is better than anything Rochester has to offer shopping and entertainment wise. Where are you going to go for a sporting event in Rochester? Syracuse plays National champions in football and Basketball all the time and beats them in the Dome. Duke in Basketball. Clemson in football. Being central located wins. Nobody has ever heard of Rochester out of the North East maybe. If you want entertainment concerts, sports, 6th biggest mall in America Syracuse wins. Rochester is ok. Maybe they can get sports someday instead of living through Cuse and Buffalo? Also Rochester is as ghetto as Syracuse. Been to Rochester more than 50 times in my life. Nothing special about Rochester IMO. A lot of snobs that have a complex with Cuse and Buffalo that always got to make themselves feel better.
Come on, man...Chill. Stop. While not in or near the city of Rochester, CMAC in Canandaigua and Eastview Mall in Victor are in the metro area.

It also has some festivals Syracuse doesn’t have. So, that will depend on what a person likes.

I do agree in terms of sporting events though.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:05 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Yes, the Pittsford SD(includes town of Pittsford and much of Mendon) is the most affluent...
So we're apparently drawing the 'upstate NY' boundary somewhere north of Westchester Co?

Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
So we're apparently drawing the 'upstate NY' boundary somewhere north of Westchester Co?
That usually is the case, if not a little bit further north.

Here is an article: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/.../13/affup.html

Out of the top 5 on the list, besides Pittsford in the Rochester area, Skaneateles and Fayetteville-Manlius are in the Syracuse area(same county as Syracuse). If you go top 20, the Rochester area also has Honeoye Falls-Lima, Brighton, Victor, Fairport and Penfield; while Syracuse also has Jamesville-DeWitt. There are 3 other Syracuse area SD’s in the top 30(Marcellus, Westhill and Cazenovia). So, both areas have quite a few school districts that rank high in that regard within that portion of the state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Any counties north of Putnam and Orange are upstate NY; while your NYC area counties in NYS are Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, Westchester, Bronx, New York, Richmond, Kings, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk

Old 06-12-2018, 03:41 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuse31584 View Post
Totally agree but why is Rochester leading upstate NY in attracting millennials? Fact is, all of upstate NY is still in decline and it won't stop. Much of it is weather related and that will never change. It will retain enough people who like cheap rent, red brick, and artsy things. But it's long term prognosis is to be a smallish city as everyone moves south.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Totally agree but why is Rochester leading upstate NY in attracting millennials? Fact is, all of upstate NY is still in decline and it won't stop. Much of it is weather related and that will never change. It will retain enough people who like cheap rent, red brick, and artsy things. But it's long term prognosis is to be a smallish city as everyone moves south.
Buffalo and Syracuse have attracted some millennials as well or have in recent years. So, it isn’t just Rochester.

Also, Syracuse, while not huge is still a top 100 metro area, urban area and combined statistical area within a region of about 1.2 million people(includes the Utica-Rome and Ithaca areas). So, while it isn’t the biggest city or area, it is still bigger than most at many levels.

Ironically, if you took the regions that are along I-90 in Upstate NY, it would have about 4.5-5 million people. If that was a state it would be in the middle of the pack in state population rankings.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Come on, man...Chill. Stop. While not in or near the city of Rochester, CMAC in Canandaigua and Eastview Mall in Victor are in the metro area.

It also has some festivals Syracuse doesn’t have. So, that will depend on what a person likes.

I do agree in terms of sporting events though.
Canandaigua does not count as Rochester. It’s right off the thruway past Victor. Been to both places a hundred times. Also been to Eastview mall a hundred times. It’s great northern mall on steroids. It’s nowhere near Destiny USA. Not even close. That’s like comparing something in Fulton to Syracuse. Canandaigua doesn’t count. Maybe the metro but two different towns.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why do the Dallas Cowboys have the most fans? Sell the most merchandise? Are the most watched nfl team? Is it because they are better? Idc about that stat. It doesn’t affect me. I know what conditions I’d rather live in. That might mean something to other people but doesn’t affect my life at all. Trends change all the time. Unless you’re the Dallas Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City