Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:03 PM

675 posts, read 644,510 times

Advertisements

I went on a day trip to Rochester, NY once. Way back in 2004, if I remember. It was actually a very pleasant, and quite sizable city with interesting, if not glitzy, downtown architecture. The First Federal Plaza and the Times Square Building were very interesting. Especially the latter with its top structure, whatever that even is. Seemed like a pretty gritty city, but charming in that way, like Pittsburgh, PA, but wiuthout top flight pro or college sports (except maybe college hockey).

Syracuse (at least the greater area) has been in the news because of the eviction of the 30-year old. I've never been there, but it seems of similar size. Syracuse is well known for college sports, whiich Rochester isn't. Take SU away, though, and I have no clue.

Those who have spent time in both, how would you compare them? Which do you prefer? Why?

Food
Cost
Media
Arts
Transit
Economy
Airports
Downtowns
Shopping
Education
Suburbs
Diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 05:40 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Just as a heads up, this may get moved to the NY State forum and Rochester is a bigger area by a decent amount.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Based on my understanding, the basic differences are:
1) Rochester has historically been a more affluent white collar city. Syracuse was traditionally a blue collar factory town. With the decline of Kodak and Xerox this gaps has narrowed.
2) Rochester is a little bigger city. Rochester has slightly bigger feel. Its skyline is a little bigger and its city neighborhoods are more developed with midsized commercial strips in its SW Quadrant. Syracuse has some commercial activity outside its downtown, but not on Rochester's level. The same pattern holds in the suburbs. Rochester has a larger expanse of suburbs.
3) But at the end of the day, both are basically AAA cities. If Rochester has 4 of chain A, Syracuse will have 3. There isn't a lot Rochester has that Syracuse dosen't have.
4) Rochester has a great lakes region feel, while Syracuse is a more traditionally north eastern city. Rochester is Pop, Syracuse is coke. Rochester is a Bills town, Syracuse is split between Giants/Bills. Toronto is the big city for Rochester, Syracuse is split between Toronto/NYC. Although it is slight, Syracuse has a more "old school" architecture (See Armory Square).
4) Syracuse has a more active downtown. Both are fairly typical suburban oriented MSAs. But, when it comes to the city, Syracuse's activity is more concentrated around the Armory Square/Hanover Square district. Rochester has its DT East End, but a lot of its urban activity is concentrated in its SW neighborhoods (Park Ave, Monroe Ave, South Wedge.)

Old 06-04-2018, 08:48 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Based on my understanding, the basic differences are:
1) Rochester has historically been a more affluent white collar city. Syracuse was traditionally a blue collar factory town. With the decline of Kodak and Xerox this gaps has narrowed.
2) Rochester is a little bigger city. Rochester has slightly bigger feel. Its skyline is a little bigger and its city neighborhoods are more developed with midsized commercial strips in its SW Quadrant. Syracuse has some commercial activity outside its downtown, but not on Rochester's level. The same pattern holds in the suburbs. Rochester has a larger expanse of suburbs.
3) But at the end of the day, both are basically AAA cities. If Rochester has 4 of chain A, Syracuse will have 3. There isn't a lot Rochester has that Syracuse dosen't have.
4) Rochester has a great lakes region feel, while Syracuse is a more traditionally north eastern city. Rochester is Pop, Syracuse is coke. Rochester is a Bills town, Syracuse is split between Giants/Bills. Toronto is the big city for Rochester, Syracuse is split between Toronto/NYC. Although it is slight, Syracuse has a more "old school" architecture (See Armory Square).
4) Syracuse has a more active downtown. Both are fairly typical suburban oriented MSAs. But, when it comes to the city, Syracuse's activity is more concentrated around the Armory Square/Hanover Square district. Rochester has its DT East End, but a lot of its urban activity is concentrated in its SW neighborhoods (Park Ave, Monroe Ave, South Wedge.)
I think you mean *SE* neighborhoods and Syracuse is *soda*. Also, Rochester has been traditionally very much a "factory" town. While it probably does have a higher degree of of "white collar" workers, these are the managers, technicians, scientists, etc. at many of Rochester's higher-tech industries (optical, dental equipment, formerly photographic equipment).

Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think you mean *SE* neighborhoods and Syracuse is *soda*. Also, Rochester has been traditionally very much a "factory" town. While it probably does have a higher degree of of "white collar" workers, these are the managers, technicians, scientists, etc. at many of Rochester's higher-tech industries (optical, dental equipment, formerly photographic equipment).
Also, due to Syracuse having a bigger college presence within the city, nearby neighborhoods to the east tend to be generally middle class and in turn, has its share of white collar folks as well. I’d still give it to Rochester in terms of being more white collar, but I believe that Syracuse actually has more census blocks groups with 6 figure median household incomes than Rochester within city limits.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
I'm originally from Rochester (a native who left), and the only advantage that Syracuse has over Rochester is Orangemen football and basketball; but UofR and RIT are both better as schools academically than SU is.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm originally from Rochester (a native who left), and the only advantage that Syracuse has over Rochester is Orangemen football and basketball; but UofR and RIT are both better as schools academically than SU is.
Probably overall, but SU does have arguably the best Communications program in the country, with highly regarded Architecture, School of Management and Library Science programs.

Also, people forget about SUNY-ESF(Environmental Science and Forestry), which is also a highly regarded institution in Syracuse.

According to the most US News rankings, UofR is 34th, SU is 61st and RIT and SUNY-ESF are tied at 97th. So, it isn’t too different, especially when looking at certain programs. This isn’t including sleepers like SUNY-Geneseo or St. John Fisher in the Rochester area or Colgate University in the Syracuse area.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:48 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

Yeah..good catch. I means SE and soda. Yeah, don't mean to imply rochester wasnt a major manufacturing hub, but it also had more of a Corp HQ feel relative to Syr and Buff. Interesting this reputation is probably out of date at this time. According to Census data, Rochester and Syracuse's counties are both pretty similar on educational attainment and household income.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
The suburbs in and around Rochester are generally more affluent, especially Brighton, Mendon and Pittsford. At one point in time, Pittsford was the wealthiest town in Upstate New York, although I cannot confirm if that distinction still applies in 2018. As a result, residential properties and public spaces in the Rochester area are, generally speaking, more attractive and better maintained. Skaneateles is, of course, an obvious exception within the Syracuse area.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
The suburbs in and around Rochester are generally more affluent, especially Brighton, Mendon and Pittsford. At one point in time, Pittsford was the wealthiest town in Upstate New York, although I cannot confirm if that distinction still applies in 2018. As a result, residential properties and public spaces in the Rochester area are, generally speaking, more attractive and better maintained. Skaneateles is, of course, an obvious exception within the Syracuse area.
Yes, the Pittsford SD(includes town of Pittsford and much of Mendon) is the most affluent...

In the Syracuse area, there is also the Fayetteville-Manlius area/SD(a top 5 district in Upstate NY in terms of affluence), much of the Jamesville-DeWitt SD(similar to Brighton, where a lot of higher end SU employees live) and parts of other districts/towns are similar(Cazenovia, Onondaga Hill, Radisson Community in the Baldwinsville SD, etc).

Fairport/Perinton and Penfield in the Rochester area are up there as well. Basically, look into the Eastern suburbs in both areas, generally speaking, in terms of affluence.

Ironically, both metros have very similar median household incomes and average annual wages, with Syracuse slightly ahead in both, if I’m not mistaken. Same/similar for other cost of living aspects/housing, give or take.

Rochester does have a higher educational attainment for those with at least a Bachelor’s degree 25 and/or older.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-05-2018 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City