Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
MSU's use of the "S" has always been brilliant. no other state school features a logo with just an S (NC State comes closest with a big S and small N and C impeded into it).

I really like and respect MSU. It is in a state with one of the true elite public flagships, an exclusive zone that I would consider only to include Cal, UCLA, UVA and U-M), yet MSU holds its own. That S makes a statement: in state it is M vs. S. I don't think any school with "State" in it has marketed around that word like MSU has. MSU feels comfortable just using the word "State" to identify itself (think of various basketball uniforms). Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe that Penn State is the only other "State" that uses an S as its letter.
Ugggh. I would never use the terms "like" and "respect" in the same sentence with MSU. Ever. Nassar cover-up and denials, rape culture. They're in a league with Penn State and Baylor. Deplorable. Also feel sorry for you that you think MSU you should be held in the same regard as Michigan, UVA and Cal. I'm not even sure what to say to that one. I wonder how Cal, Michigan and VA would respond. You're a good poster edsg, I just vehemently disagree with you here.

Last edited by BigLake; 07-25-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Ugggh. I would never use "like and respect" in the same sentence with MSU. Ever. Nassar cover-up and denials, rape culture. They're in a league with Penn State and Baylor. Deplorable. Also feel sorry for you that you think MSU you should be held in the same regard as Michigan, UVA and Cal. I'm not even sure what to say to that one. You're a good poster edsg, I just vehemently disagree with you here.
Ugh, here comes BigLake negatively opining on MSU ... again. We all know MSU screwed up royally here, President Simon (rightfully) resigned and John Engler is a doofus who can't keep his sizable wingtips out of his mouth. And yes MSU has to own Larry Nassar and is paying dearly because of it -- to the tune of a $500M payout to the victims which includes, IIRC, about $100M along with a serious reputation hit. We all get that... Just temper your glee just a little big, big guy.

It's not like UM walks on pristine water and is always scandal free (can you say Ed Martin or Chris Webber?).

And no, no need to get shorts in a knot, edsg did NOT put MSU on UM's lofty academic plane. I have no idea what you're reading.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Ugh, here comes BigLake negatively opining on MSU ... again. We all know MSU screwed up royally here, President Simon (rightfully) resigned and John Engler is a doofus who can't keep his sizable wingtips out of his mouth. And yes MSU has to own Larry Nassar and is paying dearly because of it -- to the tune of a $500M payout to the victims which includes, IIRC, about $100M along with a serious reputation hit. We all get that... Just temper your glee just a little big, big guy.

It's not like UM walks on pristine water and is always scandal free (can you say Ed Martin or Chris Webber?).

And no, no need to get shorts in a knot, edsg did NOT put MSU on UM's lofty academic plane. I have no idea what you're reading.
I don't take any glee in this. I believe you're aligned with MSU, but there is nothing personal-- at all-- aimed at you. I understand your willingness to defend, but there's no need to get personal with me. I'm happy to move along.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:59 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
- I hear "Bama" more than "Alabama." Everyone loves saying Bama. Students, ESPN, recruits, websites, everybody. Never hear "UA", ever.

- I naturally think of South Carolina with USC before Southern Cal, but So Car has been getting more known as plain old "SC". "SCAR" has also gotten popular with broadcasts.

- Same with "Carolina", I think of SC, not NC, though I admit nationally Carolina is NC, though I think "UNC" is the most popular

- I've never heard Ohio State referred to as "Ohio", it's always "OSU". With "OSU" I think of Ohio State, not Oklahoma State, though OSU is still popular for both

- When I hear Miami, I and I assume most think of Florida. At one of my internships, two colleagues graduated from UM (Ohio), but of course when they told me "Miami", my first thought was "oh, Florida? Cool."

- UW it depends, but I probably give the slight nod to Washington. I've seen "Wiscy" for Wisconsin, but have never seen someone try to attempt "Washy" for Washington

- Tigers I have no idea. LSU, Clemson, and Auburn have basically rotated success lately so it just meshes. I never think of Missouri unless I hear "Mizzou." LSU is the real Death Valley and I'd say overall LSU is the most known nationally

- With the 4 million "bulldog" mascots, I immediately think of Georgia

- Even though I'm in the south, with MSU I think of Michigan State. To me Mississippi State is "State." I always hear "Hail State", never "Hail MSU"

- Michigan is 100% UM. Missouri is "Mizzou", Mississippi is "Ole Miss", Maryland is "UMD", Minnesota I've seen "UMN", Massachusetts is easily "UMass" (why does that sound so funny)

- UT it depends, sometimes it's Texas, sometimes it's Tennessee. Nationally probably Texas, but in SEC and ACC country it's definitely Tennessee. I know a few people that go to Tennessee and they say "UT", not "Tenn" or "UTN", etc. Both schools use "UT" prominently. When I googled "UT", Texas comes up first on the search, but Knoxville comes up first on the map. Also Tenn is able to cleverly put the state in the logo

- UI I think of Illinois, OU I think of Oklahoma. I never think of Oregon as "UO", just "Oregon" and really "the Ducks", but I guess many westerners do see "OU". ISU I think of Iowa State. To me Iowa is just "Iowa", not "UI." "UI" is Indiana

- I agree that LSU, OSU, and PSU are seen as the flagships of their states, even with the "state" title.

- Seems like there's a hundred "A&Ms". I personally think of the HBCU's and Texas A&M the same. To me Texas A&M is more "TAMU" (tam-moo), though I know A&M is very popular to describe Texas, especially during football broadcasts. Kirk Herbstreit says "A&M fumbled!", not "Tam-moo fumbled!"

- I hear Wake Forest as "Wake", not "WF", Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the "Tech", though I hear "GT" more than "VT"

- As far as the state debate goes: Florida State is always "FSU", Ohio State is "OSU" (then Oklahoma, then Oregon), Kansas State is "K-State", Colorado State is "CSU", Iowa State is "ISU", Arizona, Lousiana, and Penn are for sure "ASU", "LSU", and "PSU."

As I noted earlier, I always here Mississippi as "State" or "Miss State". Michigan State I always hear as "MSU"

- "BU" I typically think of Baylor, though I'm sure Boston has something to say about that. And I had never really heard of Boston U until I researched grad school. "BC" dominates nationally imo in the BU vs BC debate.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
- Michigan is 100% UM. Missouri is "Mizzou", Mississippi is "Ole Miss", Maryland is "UMD", Minnesota I've seen "UMN", Massachusetts is easily "UMass" (why does that sound so funny)
white hats with red umass lettering (with the 'm' whited-out).
Quote:
- "BU" I typically think of Baylor, though I'm sure Boston has something to say about that. And I had never really heard of Boston U until I researched grad school. "BC" dominates nationally imo in the BU vs BC debate.
anyone seen road trip ?
Quote:
"he went to visit his girlfriend at the university-of-boston ?"

Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times
I don't care about nicknames but Clemsons's football stadium was called Death Valley prior to LSU taking on the nickname, ,which was originally Deaf Valley for LSU.

There is also a cemetery on the hill next to the stadium in Clemson. And Howard's Rock is from the real Death Valley in California.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I know. But the flagship in Seattle is just UW. That’s not unusual. Although also parts os systems, there is no UM Ann Arbor, UA Tuscalousa, or UA Fayettesville. All those schools have no city name as part of their own. Mizzou went from the University of Missouri to the University of Missouri at Columbia....then back to the University of Missouri. Why? Because flagship universities have concluded that having city names as part of theirs localies what should be a state wide identity.

Other schools seem to want to go Mizzou’s route. The term UIUC is virtually dead. The school markets itself as Illinois. To a somewhat lesser degree, UW Madison markets itself as Wisconsin.

There is only one public flagship that totally emphasises its city’s name: Cal. The university’s logo highlights “Berkeley” and one doesn’t use the term University of California or the acronym UC for UC Berkeley. Of course, it alone in the UC system gets to call itself Cal and it is also true that athletically the school is offically “California”, but sports is the only place the university uses that name.

As far as other schools in the system, there are two others which get special treatment: UCLA and UCSF. There are no UC Los Angeles or UC San Francisco, but you can refer to UCSB as UC Santa Barbara....same deal goes for UCSD and UCSC. In fact, UCLA and UCSF are the only UC’s that never use city names.

For all intents and purposes, the University of California, Los Angeles doen’t exist. The school is UCLA. Once you could use U.C.L.A. But no more. UCLA is UCLA. It’s a kind of IBM, KFC, NBC sort of thing.
When my husband was at the University of Illinois (1970-1980), it was referred to either as "Illinois" or "U of I". At the time, the Chicago campus was called "Chicago Circle" (don't ask me why) and was a much lesser regarded school. Then, sometime after we left Champaign, the Chicago school became UIC (University of Illinois Chicago).

Here's a history of the UIUC's name: "The original name in 1867 was "Illinois Industrial University." In 1885, the Illinois Industrial University officially changed its name to the University of Illinois, reflecting its holistic agricultural, mechanical, and liberal arts curricula.[6] This remained the official name for 50 years, until it was changed to the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign in 1935. However, the institution continues to be known as "the University of Illinois", or just "Illinois" in both the media[15][16] and on many of UIUC's web pages.[17][18][19] Starting in 2008, the university began re-branding itself as "Illinois" rather than UIUC, changing the website and email addresses from uiuc.edu to Illinois.edu. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...80%93Champaign

UW Madison is also referred to as "Madison".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think most people would refer to a college named after a person by that person's name and drop the university.

I don't think referring to Clemson University as CU is done much. People say Clemson.
Ditto for Creighton University.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM

11 posts, read 12,072 times
Quote:
- I hear "Bama" more than "Alabama." Everyone loves saying Bama. Students, ESPN, recruits, websites, everybody. Never hear "UA", ever.

- I naturally think of South Carolina with USC before Southern Cal, but So Car has been getting more known as plain old "SC". "SCAR" has also gotten popular with broadcasts.

- Same with "Carolina", I think of SC, not NC, though I admit nationally Carolina is NC, though I think "UNC" is the most popular

- I've never heard Ohio State referred to as "Ohio", it's always "OSU". With "OSU" I think of Ohio State, not Oklahoma State, though OSU is still popular for both

- When I hear Miami, I and I assume most think of Florida. At one of my internships, two colleagues graduated from UM (Ohio), but of course when they told me "Miami", my first thought was "oh, Florida? Cool."

- UW it depends, but I probably give the slight nod to Washington. I've seen "Wiscy" for Wisconsin, but have never seen someone try to attempt "Washy" for Washington

- Tigers I have no idea. LSU, Clemson, and Auburn have basically rotated success lately so it just meshes. I never think of Missouri unless I hear "Mizzou." LSU is the real Death Valley and I'd say overall LSU is the most known nationally

- With the 4 million "bulldog" mascots, I immediately think of Georgia

- Even though I'm in the south, with MSU I think of Michigan State. To me Mississippi State is "State." I always hear "Hail State", never "Hail MSU"

- UT it depends, sometimes it's Texas, sometimes it's Tennessee. Nationally probably Texas, but in SEC and ACC country it's definitely Tennessee. I know a few people that go to Tennessee and they say "UT", not "Tenn" or "UTN", etc. Both schools use "UT" prominently. When I googled "UT", Texas comes up first on the search, but Knoxville comes up first on the map. Also Tenn is able to cleverly put the state in the logo

- UI I think of Illinois, OU I think of Oklahoma. I never think of Oregon as "UO", just "Oregon" and really "the Ducks", but I guess many westerners do see "OU". ISU I think of Iowa State. To me Iowa is just "Iowa", not "UI." "UI" is Indiana

- I agree that LSU, OSU, and PSU are seen as the flagships of their states, even with the "state" title.

- Seems like there's a hundred "A&Ms". I personally think of the HBCU's and Texas A&M the same. To me Texas A&M is more "TAMU" (tam-moo), though I know A&M is very popular to describe Texas, especially during football broadcasts. Kirk Herbstreit says "A&M fumbled!", not "Tam-moo fumbled!"

- I hear Wake Forest as "Wake", not "WF", Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the "Tech", though I hear "GT" more than "VT"

- As far as the state debate goes: Florida State is always "FSU", Ohio State is "OSU" (then Oklahoma, then Oregon), Kansas State is "K-State", Colorado State is "CSU", Iowa State is "ISU", Arizona, Lousiana, and Penn are for sure "ASU", "LSU", and "PSU."

As I noted earlier, I always here Mississippi as "State" or "Miss State". Michigan State I always hear as "MSU"

UT Longhorns have their own ESPN network and are the most profitable college sports program. Also UT Texas has the largest endowment of any public University.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Don’t tell Larry Bird that. There’s most definitely an Indiana State University.
Yes, it's in Terre Haute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Actually, there is an Indiana State University. It's a former state teacher's college (formally known as Normal Schools); See: https://www.indstate.edu/

Interesting history of Pennsylvania's universities... Ironically, the Penn State name imbroglio isn't the first time big, bad University of Pennsylvania name raised confusion and angst for another school in the state. All the way on the other end of the state, Pitt, the University of Pittsburgh, was originally known as the University of Western Pennsylvania and, well, you see where this is going... Apparently it came to a head in 1893 at the World Colombian Exhibition (aka: the Chicago World's Fair) when in (I believe) the Arts & Sciences exhibition hall, U. Penn had a very large natural history cabinet display (skeletons, stuffed animals, plants, insects and the like) which was right next to that of, you guessed it, that of University of Western Pennsylvania; the latter being much smaller and IIRC, the Penn people were highly insulted that people confused their grand exhibit with the tiny one of University of Western Pennsylvania, letting the latter school hear about it, to the latter chagrin ... and even greater insult and chagrin, and at the conclusion of the World's Fair, vowed to do something about it...

But U. Western PA had bigger problems: the Pittsburgh (then spelled "Pittsburg" in those days, by most people -- not quite sure exactly when the "h" was hooked on at the end; sometime after 1900 I believe) was small, weak-financed vagabond school moving around every couple decades from place to place in/around the rapidly growing steel city (between 'Pittsburg' and the adjacent small town of Allegheny, which the former eventually annexed); worrying about its name was superfluous... But Penn, itself ironically, had recently (as in a decade or so) been a similar broke, lesser-known commuter school -- but Penn had come into some cash and moved from Center City Philadelphia across the river from it's cramped 2-building quarters (1 building for the college, the other for the medical school) wedged in next to Independence Hall, out onto verdant (then) farmland of West Philly (the school swung a deal with the City, which owned the land, to obtain a significant chunk free of charge, in exchange for a perpetual deal that at least 100 City kids received full-tuition scholarships -- a deal which came into question by city officials in the late 1990s as the Ivy League school had seemingly, quietly moved away from this policy, instead granting such scholarships from kids around the country ... somehow the controversy was eventually settled, somehow)...

It wasn't until after the turn of the 20th Century that the U. of Western PA itself found itself the recipient of some serious coin; just not U.Penn-level coin (UWP's
$$ coming from the Mellon family IIRC) to move to a permanent home on a plot of Pittsburgh hilly farmland, which came to be called "Oakland." It was then officials decided to end the maddening U.Penn confusion by changing their schools name to the University of Pittsburgh. Sadly for Pitt that, while a very good school, it just could swing that Ivy League/Ivy-like swagger of the big time cross-state private U... but it came close... Just prior to 1900 when UWP officials were looking for money and a permanent home, they turned to then uber-wealthy Pittsburgh steel-man Andrew Carnegie -- he of poor Scottish, HS dropout, immigrant beginnings who, by 1900, was in the twilight of life and, by then, giving his fortune away to cities, colleges and universities to build libraries ... with his name on them, of course. Had UWP-turned-Pitt become the prime beneficiary of Carnegie's vast wallet, well... Unfortunately for Pitt, Carnegie, instead, established (in 1900) his own, separate Carnegie Technical Schools, a series of Voc-Ed schools that quickly morphed into Carnegie Tech institute/university, morphing into a prestigious MIT/Caltech-type engineering institute (with, weirdly, a bigtime drama department) and then (in the 1960s) merging with the Mellon Institute to form Carnegie Mellon University ... a school which, obviously, itself has considerably more academic swag than Pitt (though, again, very good itself) and is more in the academic league with Penn...

... poor Pitt; just couldn't quite catch a break.
Interesting history, I didn't know all of that about Pitt, even though I grew up in the area and am a Pitt alum. Some more about Pitt's history-Pitt was a private college until the late 1960s. The university was about to go under financially, and the state of PA didn't want to lose the only medical and dental schools in western PA, among other assets. So they bailed pit Pitt and made it "state-related" as you described above. When I applied to Pitt in the fall of 1966 it was still private, by the time I started in 1967 it was state-related. Then they decided to do the same thing for Temple in Philly.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Can you provide any evidence that Michigan State is better academically or has a higher profile with employers than Miss State?

WHy can't they both be good universities.

I don't think most employers see a difference between the large state universities.

Miss State def. has a good reputation in engineering, architecture and veterinary medicine.
I never said Miss. State isn’t a good university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City