Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:35 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

I think most people would refer to a college named after a person by that person's name and drop the university.

I don't think referring to Clemson University as CU is done much. People say Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Lol, Furman is known as Furman, not FU. And Furman, "very religious"? You must be thinking of Bob Jones.

It's a small school so somewhat obscure in that sense but it's a very good private liberal arts college. Forbes ranks it 53rd nationally among 233 liberal arts colleges.
I wasn't calling into question it's academic offerings but it was formed by the Southern Baptist Convention so I stand by the very religious statement. Also I think they should own the FU.

Also I've lived in the upstate and yes BJ-U (haha), F U (haha), and N. Greenville U are all religious in nature.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
If you say Tigers without the college name, nobody is going to know who you are talking about unless there is geographic context.

Those are a lot more colleges with Tiger mascots as well, such as Missouri and Princeton.

From my standpoint, Death Valley doesn't make any sense for LSU which is in a flat area near the bayou. Clemson is in the foothills of the mountains. I would vote to change it to Fun Valley though.
I'd assume that most people would think LSU or Auburn. None of those other schools are as well known as LSU or Auburn are nationally. Clemson may have alot of name recognition now but I think LSU still owns it. Plus I'm a LSU fan.

It's nothing to do with the location but the fear of playing a game in Saturday night in Baton Rouge, it's usually second or first worst places to play for opposing teams. Clemson's isn't.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
If you say "Tigers" I'm thinking Detroit or Frosted Flakes guys, just saying!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If you say "Tigers" I'm thinking Detroit or Frosted Flakes guys, just saying!
Good point. MLB isn't popular in my circle or my hometown. Guess the same could be said for the Giants.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd assume that most people would think LSU or Auburn. None of those other schools are as well known as LSU or Auburn are nationally. Clemson may have alot of name recognition now but I think LSU still owns it. Plus I'm a LSU fan.

It's nothing to do with the location but the fear of playing a game in Saturday night in Baton Rouge, it's usually second or first worst places to play for opposing teams. Clemson's isn't.
I'm pretty sure you have never been to Clemson. Clemson's football atmosphere is as good as any other university.

Clemson is def. as well known as LSU or Auburn.

I don't refer to colleges by their mascots though. Mascots are for the kids.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I wasn't calling into question it's academic offerings but it was formed by the Southern Baptist Convention so I stand by the very religious statement. Also I think they should own the FU.

Also I've lived in the upstate and yes BJ-U (haha), F U (haha), and N. Greenville U are all religious in nature.
Furman isn't a religious school. You can go on its website and easily confirm that.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:22 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
boston college was founded in 1863
boston university was founded in 1869
boston college became a university in 1909 but the name was already taken.

fun fact: boston college is technically not located within the city of boston so its name is broken on two counts.
Wow, I never even thought about the fact that its Boston College, and its pretty well known.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:31 PM

A lot of people are confused about Auburn's mascot given their War Eagle chant. It seems like they should change the mascot to War Eagle. I think an eagle is even released prior to the game. Plainsmen kind of seems like an Auburn mascot too.

I would say the Tiger is least associated with Auburn. Clemson's main logo is a tiger paw. Auburn's is interlocking A and U. I believe LSU's main logo is LSU but they do have a tiger on campus. Mizzou has a tiger head logo.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Miami (Florida) owns its name over Miami (Ohio).
I think it would an interesting discussion over MSU's: Michigan State vs. Mississippi State Big10 vs SEC. There's also ISUs, UTs, OSUs, etc. to discuss.
I guess it depends on what type of audience you're talking about. In terms of sports, U. Miami (Florida) has name recognition over Miami of Ohio... obviously. One is a big time, national, powerhouse football school (and College football still rules in this country despite the greatness of March Madness over the last 3 decades) and, to a lesser basketball. In this sense, Michigan State and Mississippi State are more or less on equal footing, although to traditionalist the Big 10 carries a bit more prestige although I do think Tom Izzo's 2-decade tenure in East Lansing probably also tips the sports-recognition scales away from Mississippi State, as well.

But if you're talking academic circles, Miami of Ohio carries more weight than Miami of Florida, imho. And Michigan State destroys Mississippi State, the latter of which few have heard much of academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City