Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs. MTL?
Atlanta 34 31.19%
Montreal 75 68.81%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm not a hater, I just don't think your posts make much sense. They are way too long and sometimes contradictory. By the way, I'm not a local to Montreal. And I actually like Atlanta.
how is it contradictory?Its long because Ive explained myself over and over which never seems to be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
All my post explained everything in detail.
I admit that :dead: was too strong of a word as I did not mean it literal .From my perspective being able to go to Wal Mart,or other grocery store,24 hr resturants or bars open till 5am in the burbs is a nice option to have.
You left out McDonald's too ..... Seems small cities by me I can say have nightlife? A 24-hour SUPER Wally-World and a few 24-hr convenience stores. But what does them in ..... as our bars stop serving 1:30ish am and close at 2:00. But our Volunteer Firehouses , as they all have bars that are clubs ( but visitors can visit). They serve till 2:00am and close at 3:00am sometimes longer. They have extra privileges over regular bars and tax-free status. But hey its got nightlife right ....

Old 08-04-2018, 08:31 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I normally try to stay out of the fray, being a moderator, but I voted for Montreal. As much as I love Atlanta (and I do), I have to go with Montreal on this one, particularly given the OP's parameters. And to whoever said Montreal isn't friendly, that's not been my experience at all. Every single time I've been to Montreal I was blown away by how friendly everyone was. Then again, I'm also half French, so there's no language barrier. A close friend who lived in Montreal but does not speak French discovered that francophone Montrealers were ice cold to him when he addressed them in English until he learned to first apologize for not speaking French and for also explaining that he was American, not Canadian. Then they warmed up instantly to him, and all was forgiven.

I'll also say that Montrealers are, over all, the most beautiful people I've ever seen. It's like every woman is a fashion model, and every man is a handsome lumberjack. It's not fair.

One of the reasons I love Montreal is that it's such a cosmopolitan city. Atlanta is becoming much more cosmpolitan, but it pales in comparison to Montreal. There's something wonderful that happens to a brain when someone is completely bilingual, and Montreal is filled with people who are almost completely bilingual. And not just bilingual in a major world language and a minor language, but bilingual in two of the most spoken, most studied, most academic languages on the planet. Even a trip to Walmart in Montreal is an exercise in multiculturalism with all the languages heard, and not just English and French. The way Montrealers can go back and forth between French and English (and, increasingly, other languages) is impressive and helps explain why Montrealers tend to be very open-minded.
I agree with all of this.

Regrettably, I speak almost no French at all. I usually start conversations in French and then quickly ask to switch to Anglais. Most people seem to appreciate that I at least made the effort!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
In my earlier statements I said that I feel Atlanta and MTL are similar because of the greenery over all but what I described is certainly not the same.If you have been to Atlanta you know what I mean.
There is a lot more attention to street design,bridges,and walkways,etc. Montreal has the more classical and traditional buildings that aid to its beauty but Atlanta is known to be the top greenest major city in North.It does not have as much tradional and ornate architecture as MTL .Most of its buildings are more modern so more focus is placed around sprucing up the perimeters and walkways near these buildings to make them more inviting,

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/5/6/...itecture-fancy

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2013/7/10...-be-beautified
Someone in the Boston/Montreal thread just nailed what I was trying not to say but do agree with is that MTL is a bit dirty.Not trashy but dirty in many of it key parts.Yes I know its because of age.
but many of the streets are old in need of repair.I drove to Montreal 2 years ago so I know they were doing some major interstate work going into the city.
I guess thats why the traffic was so horrendous which even though Atlanta has worse traffic,I dont deal with it as I live and work from my home i own when Im there.

If you notice in Atlanta its much newer but still not brand new that would make it sterile.Atlanta definitely has grit.Especially in the area of South Downtown but that whole area is being redeveloped as we speak.
This is a key difference.More investment goes into the aesthetics of the city of Atlanta and you can tell.
All three major port venues have just been built or renovated.Another key difference is even in Atlanta suburbs,you see a lot of attetion to public spaces.I didnt see that as much in MTL.I did see it in other Canadian cities somewhat.

An idea of how much investment went in to just building the Braves new stadium located in a suburb just outside the city limits.
Suntrust Park is more than just a Ballpark but a lifestyle destinationthat is suburban but very is also very urban.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy28ZtAZN-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=mwkPuACp8Oo

Then the most expensive stadium in the world is Mercedes Benz Arena at a cost of $2Billion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANABzRtsMu0

The old Turner Field where the Braves played and was the Olympic Stadium was bought by Georgia State University and massive redevelopment is going on in that old neighborhood.Offices,Dormitories,resturants ,shops all a couple of blocks away from one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta.Historic Victorian mansions and Craftsman houses near all this development that date back to the late 1800's

Again I know there is a massive project going on in Downtown Montreal last I was there so,I am not saying Montreal is decrepit or anything like that but you can certainly teell the difference in the level of investment.
Where as Atlanta is booming with new development as the city in addition to is still improving,redeveloping and growing,
Montreal is growing but Its mostly maintaing and improving what it has already

Last edited by Be Proud; 08-05-2018 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 03:23 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Someone in the Boston/Montreal thread just nailed what I was trying not to say but do agree with is that MTL is a bit dirty.Not trashy but dirty in many of it key parts.Yes I know its because of age.
but many of the streets are old in need of repair.I drove to Montreal 2 years ago so I know they were doing some major interstate work going into the city.
I guess thats why the traffic was so horrendous which even though Atlanta has worse traffic,I dont deal with it as I live and work from my home i own when Im there.

If you notice in Atlanta its much newer but still not brand new that would make it sterile.Atlanta definitely has grit.Especially in the area of South Downtown but that whole area is being redeveloped as we speak.
This is a key difference.More investment goes into the aesthetics of the city of Atlanta and you can tell.
All three major port venues have just been built or renovated.Another key difference is even in Atlanta suburbs,you see a lot of attetion to public spaces.I didnt see that as much in MTL.I did see it in other Canadian cities somewhat.

An idea of how much investment went in to just building the Braves new stadium located in a suburb just outside the city limits.
Suntrust Park is more than just a Ballpark but a lifestyle destinationthat is suburban but very is also very urban.

Then the most expensive stadium in the world is Mercedes Benz Arena at a cost of $2Billion

The old Turner Field where the Braves played and was the Olympic Stadium was bought by Georgia State University and massive redevelopment is going on in that old neighborhood.Offices,Dormitories,resturants ,shops all a couple of blocks away from one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta.Historic Victorian mansions and Craftsman houses near all this development that date back to the late 1800's

Again I know there is a massive project going on in Downtown Montreal last I was there so,I am not saying Montreal is decrepit or anything like that but you can certainly teell the difference in the level of investment.
Where as Atlanta is booming with new development as the city in addition to is still improving,redeveloping and growing,
With all due respect this is starting to sound like a Greater Atlanta Chamber of Commerce schpiel.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
With all due respect this is starting to sound like a Greater Atlanta Chamber of Commerce schpiel.
Again you proved my point.
If you look at this entire thread,its ALL mostly been about what Montreal's offerings.Mostl when it has come about Atlanta its been defending it.It seems no one else has but me.
yet I keep getting "reps".Maybe because no one wants to get involved as they see how this thread is going.Its me basically against it seems against all of Montreal.
So if it seems that way its because I think people have an image of Atlanta that is not accurate yet they are making remarks.Ive asked the question how many of you have actually spent time in both cities outside of a quick visit. Only ONE person said they had.
You havent answered that question.You can say what you want but you can absolutely tell I have speant time in Montreal even if you dont agree with my opinion.What time have you spent in Atlanta?
How can you say Im wrong if you dont know what we are comparing?

Old 08-05-2018, 03:38 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:

I mean we don't have a new fancy arena being built, but we're improving our infrastructure, creating new green spaces/commercial arteries, downtown Montreal surpassed 120K population in 2016, we're getting a 67km long light rail system, a brand new bridge, all our metropolitan cities are building city centres, billions being invested in A.I/Tech firms moving here, there's a lot going on in Montreal that people don't notice/are blind to. It's a brand new city that keeps on changing while still preserving the unique history and culture here.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I mean we don't have a new fancy arena being built, but we're improving our infrastructure, creating new green spaces/commercial arteries, downtown Montreal surpassed 120K population in 2016, we're getting a 67km long light rail system, a brand new bridge, all our metropolitan cities are building city centres, billions being invested in A.I/Tech firms moving here, there's a lot going on in Montreal that people don't notice/are blind to. It's a brand new city that keeps on changing while still preserving the unique history and culture here.
Look.Lets not argue.I really love Montreal.I dont know how many times I can say this.I also love Atlanta.Both cities offer me things that each one lacks.
As far as fancy new arenas.Its not just that.If you looked at the videos,you can see that it is massive infrastructure spending as these are centers of urbanity within themselves.Not just arenas. Thats the old way of designing these sports venues.Development of housing,retail etc are all being built adjacent to or they are apart of the arenas themselves.
Im not wrong to state as fact that Atlanta is booming on a level Montreal is not even though it is growing.Again,its not a slight but a fact just like Montreal is a more vibrant urban city than Atlanta but that does not make Atlanta suburban like some have said.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:24 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Again you proved my point.
If you look at this entire thread,its ALL mostly been about what Montreal's offerings.Mostl when it has come about Atlanta its been defending it.It seems no one else has but me.
yet I keep getting "reps".Maybe because no one wants to get involved as they see how this thread is going.Its me basically against it seems against all of Montreal.
So if it seems that way its because I think people have an image of Atlanta that is not accurate yet they are making remarks.Ive asked the question how many of you have actually spent time in both cities outside of a quick visit. Only ONE person said they had.
You havent answered that question.You can say what you want but you can absolutely tell I have speant time in Montreal even if you dont agree with my opinion.What time have you spent in Atlanta?
How can you say Im wrong if you dont know what we are comparing?
Yes, I've been to Atlanta. I've been all over the U.S. South multiple times.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

Hmm... Kind of like that little project in Montreal's Griffintown?

https://www.renewcanada.net/wp-conte...er_page-18.jpg

I mean, come on... I hear your points on Atlanta. Like I said earlier, I visit quite often (and will be again next weekend), but to say you can really tell the difference in terms of investment is a bit odd...

Griffintown aside, they are also in the process of building the world's 4th largest automated light rail system. Ste-Catherine St (there's already nothing remotely comparable to that in Atlanta, or anywhere in the Southern half of the US) is getting an entire revamp.
There's a lot more going on in Montreal that you'd be lead to believe.

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City