Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs. MTL?
Atlanta 34 31.19%
Montreal 75 68.81%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:46 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Exactly.
Histories and geography play a role in both cities culinary options.It just seems even though h Montreal is overall a better food city,it does have weak spots.
How many of the average people in eat casually French cuisine?Yet people carry on about how some the finest rankings in the world rank Montreal high.That doesnt interest me and hardly anyone I know does it,

Francaphone dispora has a far reach in the world so yes all of that world will be more represented in Montreal.

Soul food today has evolved.Much of it is not so much "scraps" and such.African Americans are not eating as much pork but Soul food is now even upscale.You have many gourmet style Soul/Southern food (Southern is really the same thing).
My favorite restaurant is South City Kitchen
https://www.yelp.com/biz/south-city-...town-atlanta-2
I think there is some validity to your points - Montreal and Atlanta have different demographics and these tend to bring different strong points to the table in terms of cuisine.

I would argue that among foodies, though, way more people would be interested in French-inspired cuisines than would be in soul food or the cuisines of anglophone Africa that you say Atlanta has but Montreal lacks. That may not be ''fair" but it is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I believe the point Be Proud is making is mainly isolated to black Africans. Which I actually agree with.

As for soul food, that's an American thing. Of course it's not common in Canada. A lot of "soul food" is based off of what was once considered cheap scraps that black slaves were given, which they learned how to cook in a variety of hearty ways. There isn't much of black slavery history in Canada, if at all, aside from runaway American slaves.

With regard to Mexicans, well, Atlanta is much closer to the Mexican border, and the US has a much stronger Spanish influence than Canada, especially Montreal.

On the other hand, in Montreal, you'll find much more authentic Arab/Middle Eastern/ Mediterranean offerings than pretty much anywhere in the US.
This was good enough, as there was some, but of course not to the same degree.

Last edited by JMT; 08-02-2018 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Removed off-topic comments

Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think there is some validity to your points - Montreal and Atlanta have different demographics and these tend to bring different strong points to the table in terms of cuisine.

I would argue that among foodies, though, way more people would be interested in French-inspired cuisines than would be in soul food or the cuisines of anglophone Africa that you say Atlanta has but Montreal lacks. That may not be ''fair" but it is reality.
The ansence of being francophone does nonot make it anglophone.
African cuisine is not based in French culinary traditions nor is it in English traditional.
French speaking countries have their own foods.
You totally miss my point why I mentioned French food and its popularity among the average person. French food it's something much y'all would have course do very well but it's hardly something that is easily found in a shopping center or a chain restaurant like say Italian or Indian or Chinese or even Jamaican.

I'd even say Atlanta has better Indian food than Montreal. I'm not putting French food against soul food both are relatively not well known although French food will be more well-known then soul food I agree it's still not household name. But that's my point where can you get Great Soul Food. you can get good French food in Atlanta as well. It may not be number one in the world or in North America but still very good. I've never had great soul food anywhere in Canada.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
I'd even say Atlanta has better Indian food than Montreal. I'm not putting French food against soul food both are relatively not well known although French food will be more well-known then soul food I agree it's still not household name. But that's my point where can you get Great Soul Food. you can get good French food in Atlanta as well. It may not be number one in the world or in North America but still very good. I've never had great soul food anywhere in Canada.
Where can you get regional Quebecois cuisine in Atlanta? Thats just as ridiculous as asking where you can get good soul food in Montreal. Soul food is a big part of the regional cuisine in Atlanta just as Quebecois cuisine is in Montreal.

Youre giving a LOT of benefit of doubts to Atlanta while not extending the same to Montreal. For example, yes you can probably get good Italian somewhere in Atlanta. But Italian food is going to be much better on the whole in Montreal. By the same token you can get good Korean in Montreal, but its not going to match Atlanta in breadth and width of options.

Disclaimer: Poutine restaurants dont qualify.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
African cuisine is not based in French culinary traditions nor is it in English traditional.
You totally miss my point why I mentioned French food and its popularity among the average person. French food it's something much y'all would have course do very well but it's hardly something that is easily found in a shopping center or a chain restaurant like say Italian or Indian or Chinese or even Jamaican.

I did mention "foodies" in my post, and by that I mean Anthony Bourdain types. Rightly or wrongly, at least in the western world, the French style of cuisine in its broadest definition is usually the standard by which all cuisines are measured by this crowd.

I say this someone who is not an absolutist when it comes to the greatness of French cuisine. I definitely like it (and love the food when I'm in France) but it's not at the top of my list in terms of my favourite cuisines.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:24 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_denoah View Post
Between Montreal and Atlanta, which city is better in terms of history, infastructure and public transit, living, and overall better city?
Montreal by a kilometer. Is this thread a joke?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:46 PM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:

Did you know that France and Quebec are two completely different places? It's like saying the US is exactly like the UK. When you say the "average person", are you considering yourself to be the average person? Or what exactly is the measure of that?

Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Where can you get regional Quebecois cuisine in Atlanta? Thats just as ridiculous as asking where you can get good soul food in Montreal. Soul food is a big part of the regional cuisine in Atlanta just as Quebecois cuisine is in Montreal.

Youre giving a LOT of benefit of doubts to Atlanta while not extending the same to Montreal. For example, yes you can probably get good Italian somewhere in Atlanta. But Italian food is going to be much better on the whole in Montreal. By the same token you can get good Korean in Montreal, but its not going to match Atlanta in breadth and width of options.

Disclaimer: Poutine restaurants dont qualify.
Are you just purposely ignoring what Ive said?How many times have I said its "what I like".?What else do you want to hear?
No you are incorrect.It's known to come from the region of the South but its hardly exclusive to the South
Soul Food is not regional cuisine.It can be found ALL over America
Soul Food you can find all over the U.S to some degree because African Americans live all over the U.S. You cannot find traditional Quebecois foods all over Canada can you?

You might as well look for a Peameal Sandwhich than traditional Quebecois cuisine outside of Quebec with much better luck

Old 08-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Did you know that France and Quebec are two completely different places? It's like saying the US is exactly like the UK. When you say the "average person", are you considering yourself to be the average person? Or what exactly is the measure of that?
What did I say would make you think that is what I implied?If you were following the thread,French food was brought up as being the best outside of France.My response was to that,Quebecouis food was only just now brought into the conversation after your post.
I have been to Montreal at least 12 times and have stayed at one time for almost a month that includes trips North to Quebec City so Im well aware.

As far as the measure of what is my experience versus anybody else,just look out of any American city.French food is not food people eat every day accept French people.
Youcan easily find more Indian,Italian,Mexican,Vietnamese,Jamaican,Nigeria n, and many other cuisines than you can French.For one thing its usually expensive.French food is not for the "average" people.Maybe you are wealthy enough or French where you routinely eat it but most people do not.I cant believe you actually questioning this.
French food is usually a special occasion type food.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Are you just purposely ignoring what Ive said?How many times have I said its "what I like".?What else do you want to hear?
No you are incorrect.It's known to come from the region of the South but its hardly exclusive to the South
Soul Food is not regional cuisine.It can be found ALL over America
Soul Food you can find all over the U.S to some degree because African Americans live all over the U.S. You cannot find traditional Quebecois foods all over Canada can you?

You might as well look for a Peameal Sandwhich than traditional Quebecois cuisine outside of Quebec with much better luck
I said Soul Food is "a big part of the regional cuisine of the South" and no Im not incorrect on that even though its available in most big cities.

Tex-Mex is a big part of the regional cuisine in Texas but you can find it just about anywhere too.

Being a regional cuisine does not mean that it is exclusive to that region. It just has to be indigenous to that region. Soul food originated in the Southeastern United States and Atlanta is the hub city of that region.

Quebecois cuisine just didnt spread like Soul Food and Tex Mex did. Thats all. I would rather eat it than Enchiladas con Carne or Oxtail, but its much harder to find outside Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City