Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs. MTL?
Atlanta 34 31.19%
Montreal 75 68.81%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Hmm... Kind of like that little project in Montreal's Griffintown?

https://www.renewcanada.net/wp-conte...er_page-18.jpg

I mean, come on... I hear your points on Atlanta. Like I said earlier, I visit quite often (and will be again next weekend), but to say you can really tell the difference in terms of investment is a bit odd...

Griffintown aside, they are also in the process of building the world's 4th largest automated light rail system. Ste-Catherine St (there's already nothing remotely comparable to that in Atlanta, or anywhere in the Southern half of the US) is getting an entire revamp.
There's a lot more going on in Montreal that you'd be lead to believe.
I did say that it was obvious that there is investment in its infrastructure.I also said its growing those things you have said are major but still it just doesnt add up to that i which Atlanta is doing.

The Beltline is one major project that will take years and millions of dollars to complete.In addition to the bew Protor Creek Greenway that just opened

The Westside Park which will be much larger than Piedmont Park when completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LpUf0eOSU

and Mims Cook Parks being built
https://www.myajc.com/news/local/wes...hc93xkIPeDiUM/

$500 Million alone is being invested in redeveloping South Downtown
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-downtown.html
That does not include the massive Underground Atlanta development.

A $55 Million expansion of the Georgia World Congress Center,3 arenas, 2 new parks being built/One being renovated in 2 years

Our freeways are undergoing several miles of massive elevated portions to eleviate traffic

Atlanta does have a streetcar that has plans to expand but its nowhere near the scope of whats being built in Montreal.Canadian cities spend their infrastructure dollars on transit more than American cities but the roads in Montreal are among the worst of a major city I have seen.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4039525/q...ith-bad-roads/

Im not suggesting their is little development in Montreal but its no where near Atlanta. Modcut: Toronto is not part of this thread. Atlanta is nowhere near that level of construction but its on a level more than whats going on in Montreal

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2018 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:37 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Montreal is among my most favorite places in North America. the cold was the only downside

Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Montreal is among my most favorite places in North America. the cold was the only downside
That's my main reason for not wanting to move back there.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:39 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I thought this might be an interesting addition to the thread. Joël Robuchon was an Anthony Bourdain-type celebrity chef, although he was more into making great food himself than finding people who were making great food. The latter being more Bourdain's schtick. It's not an exaggeration to say that Robuchon was one of the world's greatest culinary masters.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ntreal-cuisine

Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That was me and I stand by what I said.
I don’t include places like St-Isidore and St-Bruno as being parts of the city of Montreal.
No sense arguing this. I don't like pretending places don't exist to better fit an argument (though I agree that St-Isidore and St-Bruno aren't really easily accessible for most in the city). In reality, Mont Royal is very much a massive presence in the center of the city and is accessed by millions. It's one of the best central parks in North America. There are a lot of other great urban parks in Montreal. I agree that it's not "leafy" or "green" in the way an Atlanta or Charlotte is, but it's definitely not lacking in the green spaces department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City