Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall best cultural experience location?
Boston 24 46.15%
Montreal 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Montreal CRUSHES Boston. Anyone who says otherwise has not been to Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Culture Scene: Boston versus Montreal

1. Best urban city parks? Boston

2. Best museums?Boston

3. Best architecture? Boston

4. Best performing arts (symphony operas, theater, so on)?Boston

5. Best parades, festivals, and/or holiday celebrations?Montreal

6. Best historic tours?Boston

Overall choice?Boston based on criteria but rather live Montreal.Dont care much for the people of Boston overall

Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I like both, but I think to get a better appreciation of Montreal, you have to at least know some French. It's possible to go around speaking English only, but even just knowing how to read French goes a long way in appreciating it, which honestly isn't that hard especially if you know another Romance language.

That being said, I vote Montreal because its more unique than Boston at least in the context of North America. It's really the only major Francophone city in the Western Hemisphere.
That doesnt make sense to me.If you go to France do you need to learn French to have a better appreciation or go to South Africa and speak Swahilli,Greece to speak Greek? No I dont see how that would be true at all

Old 08-04-2018, 05:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Montreal CRUSHES Boston. Anyone who says otherwise has not been to Montreal.
Have been to both cities. Montreal does not crush Boston.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM

724 posts, read 559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
That doesnt make sense to me.If you go to France do you need to learn French to have a better appreciation or go to South Africa and speak Swahilli,Greece to speak Greek? No I dont see how that would be true at all
You're kidding right? Please tell me you're joking. I think you're trolling, because if you really do think that, I feel sorry for you. I truly do.

Enjoy your tourist bubble though Wow how can someone possibly get more enjoyment out of a place by knowing the local language.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
You're kidding right? Please tell me you're joking. I think you're trolling, because if you really do think that, I feel sorry for you. I truly do.

Enjoy your tourist bubble though Wow how can someone possibly get more enjoyment out of a place by knowing the local language.
Knowing the local language is a PLUS but not a necessity.Do you not understand that?You said you cannot enjoy a city unless you know the language and that is just silly.
Do you speak every language fluently of every place you go?Do you not enjoy it because you dont?
Theres not ONE place I have lived or been all over the world that I have never enjoyed because I dont speak the language.
Tourist bubble indeed.Whatever.
I would have never been back to Montreal over 12 times if I had not enjoyed my time there before

Last edited by Be Proud; 08-04-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Knowing the local language is a PLUS but not a necessity.Do you not understand that?You said you cannot enjoy a city unless you know the language and that is just silly.
Do you speak every language fluently of every place you go?Do you not enjoy it because you dont?
Theres not ONE place I have lived or been all over the world that I have never enjoyed because I dont speak the language.
Tourist bubble indeed.Whatever.
I would have never been back to Montreal over 12 times if I had not enjoyed my time there before
I believe what's been said is that you may get more out of a place if you understand/speak its main language. Not that it's essential.

Also people who find a place culturally less impressive than billed are often those who can't understand many of the goings-on.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Swahili isn’t going to be of much use in South Africa, but definitely speaking Greek or at least traveling with someone who speaks Greek is immensely helpful in Greece if you don’t want to get corralled into the same exact places that they put all the Anglo tourists.

At least the experience is different if not necessarily better across the board.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:05 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Swahili isn’t going to be of much use in South Africa,.
I was going to the say the same thing. Swahili territory is quite a bit north of South Africa.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe what's been said is that you may get more out of a place if you understand/speak its main language. Not that it's essential.

Also people who find a place culturally less impressive than billed are often those who can't understand many of the goings-on.
Im very inquisitive and I never go to touristy spots because I do my research before hand.Never really had to worry about being left out if I didnt know the language. Im heavily involved in Couchsurfing for several years.Im hosting a guy freom Santiago Chile and Toulouse France as we speak.Both want me to join them as I showed them the ins and outs of Atlanta.
Next week Ill be at my place in philly and I will host some international travelers there.Its the absolute best way to travel as I have been using it for over 6 years now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City