Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall best cultural experience location?
Boston 24 46.15%
Montreal 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,006,891 times

Advertisements

Culture Scene: Boston versus Montreal

1. Best urban city parks?

2. Best museums?

3. Best architecture?

4. Best performing arts (symphony operas, theater, so on)?

5. Best parades, festivals, and/or holiday celebrations?

6. Best historic tours?

Overall choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 8,989,085 times
Boston.

Huck The Fabs!!!

Old 07-30-2018, 08:15 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,961,053 times
Two absolute heavy weights based on your criteria and overall culture.

1. Though I think Boston is probably top 5/top10 in the US for park size, quality, and accessibility, I don’t think anyone could vote against Montreal here. Incredible variety all over the city.

2. I would go Boston, which really only trails Chicago and NYC in the states (excluding DC for obvious reasons). Pointe-a-Calliere was pretty special, as was the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. But the Boston Museum of Fine Arts is certainly a step up, and the Museum of Science and the Contemporary Art Museum are amazing. Add to that the freedom trail, the boats, the well preserved historical sites , and the political/poetry pull and influence of the broader Boston area, and I think it’s clear. FYI if folks have never been to the JFK museum, I’d highly reccomend it. It was really cool. Also, the libraries in Boston are crazy cool.. The Athenaeum, Public Library, Kennedy Library, Harvard Library, etc.

3. This is preference. You can’t go wrong, can you? I’m partial to brick and siding- brownstones, row houses, Victorians, colonials, tree lines streets, gas lit lamps, granite steps, etc. The Old Montreal Gothic Revival look, and the pervasive use of stone around the city is cool.. But I don’t find it as beautiful through and through and on a daily basis. It gets a bit.. dreary? Grey? Cold? I mean, I feel the same way about Paris, though I know I’m in the minority on that one. Anyways, I’ll go Boston. “The Athens of America” is probably the most beautiful city other than Chicago based on my taste.

4. Boston. Probably best in the country outside of NYC. There’s the Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Pops, the hatshell on the Charles, the Boston Ballet, and the Lyric Opera to keep you entertained, or you can head to the Theater District to venues like the Majestic Cutler, The Colonial or The Orpheum.

5. Montreal in a landslide. Grab Prix? The weekly summer festivals? The Christmas celebrations?

6. Boston based on my limited experience between the two. Certainly more in your face, more saturated, more diverse in its history.

Edit: Big miss not including food scene and food culture. That’s an easy win for Montreal, who wouldn’t lose in that department to many cities in North America.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 3 days ago)

6,836 posts, read 6,108,870 times
1. Best urban city parks? Montreal
(Though Boston’s no slouch in this department)

2. Best museums? Boston

3. Best architecture? Tie
(I think the best of Boston is better than the best of Montreal, but Montreal is more consistently nice)

4. Best performing arts (symphony operas, theater, so on)? Boston

5. Best parades, festivals, and/or holiday celebrations? Montreal

6. Best historic tours? Boston

Overall choice? Boston

I am biased.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM

3,889 posts, read 5,318,558 times
1. Best urban city parks? - Montreal

2. Best museums? - Boston

3. Best architecture? - Tie

4. Best performing arts (symphony operas, theater, so on)? - Boston

5. Best parades, festivals, and/or holiday celebrations? - Montreal

6. Best historic tours? - Boston

Overall choice? 3 votes for Boston, 2 for Montreal, Boston gets the vote. So many of these categories are razor thin though.

Two of my favourite cities anywhere. MWJ119 really nailed it, so I am just going to vote based on the criteria.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM

257 posts, read 169,214 times
Two of the most overrated cities on the continent, I have never been more disappointed by a city than with Montreal and Boston isn't far behind.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,900,099 times
My vote goes to Montreal. I love the culture there most of all. Amazing QOL.

Last edited by JMT; 07-31-2018 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic comments.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:34 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,887,534 times
I like Boston better. I never got a good feel for Montreal. Being from Sweden I did not like that French Canadian culture that much but most people like it. If I wanted to visit Paris or France I would go. Montreal it has it's positives as well, very safe and clean city for the most part

Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 3 days ago)

6,836 posts, read 6,108,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I like Boston better. I never got a good feel for Montreal. Being from Sweden I did not like that French Canadian culture that much but most people like it. If I wanted to visit Paris or France I would go. Montreal it has it's positives as well, very safe and clean city for the most part
French culture and French Canadian culture are pretty different though. If anything, I’ve heard that Québécois folks are more similar to Belgians than they are to the French.

Granted, not being from a francophone culture I don’t really know for sure. However, if your from Sweden then you’re about as immersed in francophone culture as I am.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-31-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 PM

724 posts, read 564,632 times
I like both, but I think to get a better appreciation of Montreal, you have to at least know some French. It's possible to go around speaking English only, but even just knowing how to read French goes a long way in appreciating it, which honestly isn't that hard especially if you know another Romance language.

That being said, I vote Montreal because its more unique than Boston at least in the context of North America. It's really the only major Francophone city in the Western Hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City