Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city?
Houston 28 41.18%
Toronto 40 58.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

I think Toronto would have better ethnic food, since it is more diverse than Houston. However, I think Houston would have the better food outside of the “immigrant” communities and would win in the regional and local foods categories like soul food, seafood, Cajun/Creole, and BBQ. I’m not sure what kind of foods Toronto is known for outside of its ethnic options. I think we all know that Canada is known for unseasoned food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I think we all know that Canada is known for unseasoned food.
Do we?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Do we?
Lol. Yes. That’s what I’ve heard. Everyone knows about southern food and what it is. I definitely know that Toronto has more ethnic than Houston, which is diverse itself.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Lol. Yes. That’s what I’ve heard. Everyone knows about southern food and what it is. I definitely know that Toronto has more ethnic than Houston, which is diverse itself.
Well to be fair the thread is about Toronto which is in Ontario and their regional cuisine isnt as well known. However, you mentioned Canada as a whole and that statement wouldnt be as true especially for Quebec. Quebecois food is some of the best regional cuisine anywhere. It goes back to the French and its the same reason New Orleans has such amazing regional cuisine.

Also, its hard to beat seafood from BC and how they prepare it.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:
I think Toronto would have better ethnic food, since it is more diverse than Houston. However, I think Houston would have the better food outside of the “immigrant” communities and would win in the regional and local foods categories like soul food, seafood, Cajun/Creole, and BBQ. I’m not sure what kind of foods Toronto is known for outside of its ethnic options. I think we all know that Canada is known for unseasoned food.
Unseasoned food? Lol, how ridiculous!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
I think we all know that Canada is known for unseasoned food.
I don't. I've never heard that in my life. In fact, outside of Quebcois cuisine, most stereotypes about Canada including food is that its exactly like the Northern United States, except everything is in metric. Most people from around the world can't really tell the difference between Anglo Canada and the United States.

Everything else you said is right on the money though: I think Houston has more unique local cuisine than Toronto does, but that's because Toronto wasn't really Canada's most major city until the 1970s. For now, there isn't anything unique about Toronto's food itself, but rather just the collection of things they offer that can be found in one place. Houston has come up with things like fajitas, Viet-Cajun, etc. Toronto, despite all its diversity, hasn't done that yet.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 AM

Y’all better stop whining and put some lemon pepper, garlic seasoning, Tony Chachere, Slap Ya Mama, etc. into your food. I can politely send you guys some, if you would like.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I don't. I've never heard that in my life. In fact, outside of Quebcois cuisine, most stereotypes about Canada including food is that its exactly like the Northern United States, except everything is in metric. Most people from around the world can't really tell the difference between Anglo Canada and the United States.

Everything else you said is right on the money though: I think Houston has more unique local cuisine than Toronto does, but that's because Toronto wasn't really Canada's most major city until the 1970s. For now, there isn't anything unique about Toronto's food itself, but rather just the collection of things they offer that can be found in one place. Houston has come up with things like fajitas, Viet-Cajun, etc. Toronto, despite all its diversity, hasn't done that yet.
A lot of that was a joke. Lol. In the south, we think northerners don’t season their food, so if Canada’s food is similar to the northern US food, then my point has been proven

Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Y’all better stop whining and put some lemon pepper, garlic seasoning, Tony Chachere, Slap Ya Mama, etc. into your food. I can politely send you guys some, if you would like.
While those things are good, maybe they dont like their food that way up there?

I think the stereotype originates with English food. Canada (outside Quebec of course) clung to the UK much more than the US did on a cultural level. The food in parts of Canada might mirror English food more than the average place in the US.

In my time in Toronto the emphasis has always been on ethnic food, fine dining, or fusion food as opposed to regional cuisine.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
A lot of that was a joke. Lol. In the south, we think northerners don’t season their food, so if Canada’s food is similar to the northern US food, then my point has been proven
Yeah I figured you were being snarky haha. Emoji that next time so we know not to take it so seriously! I feel you on that though. Some food does taste like it was seasoned with warm water and salt, and that always dissappoints me.gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think the stereotype originates with English food. Canada (outside Quebec of course) clung to the UK much more than the US did on a cultural level. The food in parts of Canada might mirror English food more than the average place in the US.

I think UK cultural influence in Canada is more in the spelling of words (centre vs center) and political more than cultural and culinary. Given that 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border, it makes sense.

Nova Scotia is probably the most UK influenced though, but even there, it's not that drastically different than Maine.

Side note: I for one am shocked that the poll is this close. I like seeing close polls like this because there's actually something real to discuss, instead of Homer A vs Homer B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City