Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food city?
Houston 28 41.18%
Toronto 40 58.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I would like to see what metrics they use. It seems to me that the world is better represented in NYC than Toronto, but maybe I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:29 PM

257 posts, read 167,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would like to see what metrics they use. It seems to me that the world is better represented in NYC than Toronto, but maybe I'm wrong.
It's based on the percentage of the population that is foreign born.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
It's based on the percentage of the population that is foreign born.
That doesn't even make sense, what if all those foreign born people were from mostly the same place?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:10 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That doesn't even make sense, what if all those foreign born people were from mostly the same place?
They aren’t though. It’s Toronto not El Paso.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Foreign born doesn’t translate to more diversity. For example someone on here actually said Houston has less Mexican food that’s quality than El Paso and San Diego. This is besides the fact that Houston is so Mexican it’s metro area has more Mexicans than both San Diego and El Paso combined. Not saying Houston blows these places out of the water in fact it’s type to Mexican cuisine. Toronto although 50% foreign born the other 50% of its population is mostly established Canadian people of Anglo descent. Even taking out Houston’s foreign born. We are looking at huge Mexican, AA population as well as Anglo Americans not to mention Southern ones vs. Transplants. Foreign born means new diversity not more diversity.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Foreign born doesn’t translate to more diversity. For example someone on here actually said Houston has less Mexican food that’s quality than El Paso and San Diego. This is besides the fact that Houston is so Mexican it’s metro area has more Mexicans than both San Diego and El Paso combined. Not saying Houston blows these places out of the water in fact it’s type to Mexican cuisine. Toronto although 50% foreign born the other 50% of its population is mostly established Canadian people of Anglo descent. Even taking out Houston’s foreign born. We are looking at huge Mexican, AA population as well as Anglo Americans not to mention Southern ones vs. Transplants. Foreign born means new diversity not more diversity.
I also suspect many of those foreign born people in Toronto come from the U.S

Old 08-06-2018, 07:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
The overwhelming majority don’t.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
I just left Toronto yesterday (fourth time there) and I'd have to say that I think that this is almost a tie. Toronto has some great food. Houston does too. I might give Houston the edge by a little.

As far as diversity goes, Toronto has always felt a bit more diverse to me. I really don't think I've ever traveled to a place more diverse than Toronto other than NYC.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I highly doubt that....

Toronto has people from literally all over the world...just about every country is represented.

Toronto’s “whites” are not all from the british isles either....
Polish ....Ukranian...German....tons of Italians (500,000 plus)...Greeks (they are having
their annual celebration right now “Taste of the Danforth”...over 1 million attend)

Toronto area has a sizeable Philipino population (around 90,000)

Black population....not AA’s ...mainly from the Carribean (huge Caribana Festival going on right now,
it attracts millions). Lot’s from Africa too....not just your run of the mill AA’s like in Houston.

Toronto has many Chinese ...it has a sizeable Chinatown and they are buying up
Toronto real estate like crazy.

Toronto has a gigantic south asia population ...over 600,000...

Also Toronto has people from the middle east...many muslims,
also a large Iranian population too...same with Armenians.

Toronto has the largest jewish population in Canada...over 200,000...

Though Toronto is under represented compared to Houston in terms of Hispanics...
Toronto has ....some from almost every area...Colombians...Venezuelans...Argentinians..
Brazilians....you name it...even some Mexicans.

Toronto is extremely diverse....not just three or four ethnicities...but many,
only NYC comes close.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I highly doubt that....

Toronto has people from literally all over the world...just about every country is represented.

Toronto’s “whites” are not all from the british isles either....
Polish ....Ukranian...German....tons of Italians (500,000 plus)...Greeks (they are having
their annual celebration right now “Taste of the Danforth”...over 1 million attend)

Toronto area has a sizeable Philipino population (around 90,000)

Black population....not AA’s ...mainly from the Carribean (huge Caribana Festival going on right now,
it attracts millions). Lot’s from Africa too....not just your run of the mill AA’s like in Houston.

Toronto has many Chinese ...it has a sizeable Chinatown and they are buying up
Toronto real estate like crazy.

Toronto has a gigantic south asia population ...over 600,000...

Also Toronto has people from the middle east...many muslims,
also a large Iranian population too...same with Armenians.

Toronto has the largest jewish population in Canada...over 200,000...

Though Toronto is under represented compared to Houston in terms of Hispanics...
Toronto has ....some from almost every area...Colombians...Venezuelans...Argentinians..
Brazilians....you name it...even some Mexicans.

Toronto is extremely diverse....not just three or four ethnicities...but many,
only NYC comes close.
While the rest of this post is pretty true, I'd be willing to bet anything Houston has a far larger African population than does Toronto. Most blacks there are from the Caribbean, and their share of the Toronto area is lower than their share of the Houston area. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more African American expats than Africans in Toronto to be quite honest. I think you're underselling the diversity of Houston's black population quite a bit.

But at the end of the day, overall, Toronto is almost certainly more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City