Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most urban?
Dallas 62 51.24%
Atlanta 55 45.45%
Charlotte 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:07 PM

923 posts, read 665,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Actually, no...Atlanta typically ranks far worse than Dallas when it comes to traffic congestion and hours spent in it:

https://www.smartertravel.com/2018/0...ed-u-s-cities/

https://www.statista.com/chart/12855...gested-cities/

The lack of a good arterial system to augment the freeways in Atlanta definitely has an impact on how things flow throughout the metro area compared to Dallas and its grid system. Even the freeways mostly follow a grid with some diagonals throughout North Texas. Houston and Atlanta's hub-and-spoke systems might have worked better back in the days when Downtown was the only job center in each respective metro area, but since both cities have multiple job centers scattered throughout the metro, the hub-and-spoke system isn't as flexible for that type of city layout.

Inner Loop Houston has a far more uniform grid system than Atlanta as well, and lushness has nothing to do with it's layout (New Orleans is in the same climatic zone as Houston and has similar terrain and layout but it's streets are on a grid). It's more about the bayous breaking up the system and the lack of uniform city planning in the city due to the lack of zoning laws and developers plotting streets in a haphazard fashion. While it doesn't have the uniform grid of DFW (and its far flatter there than the rolling prairie in Dallas, so terrain really is irrelevant too), it has a lot of arterial streets that are parallel to the freeways, but not to the degree of DFW, but certainly far more than Atlanta.
My point is that the difference is not major.They both rank in the top 10 cities for worse traffic.
Seven years ago Dallas was in the top 5 and Atlanta was not in the top 10.These ranking are recent because Atlanta has not been in the top ten since the late nineties early 2000s.
I really think this is due to all the massive amounts of road work on Atlantas's interstates as more of the interstates in the metro have had major expansions,toll roads, and all new extensions.The new Suntrust stadium construction added a great deal to that but its almost completely done
The new major expansions North of the city will be open soon and that will help alot along with the other planned openings across the metro over the years

Last edited by JMT; 08-27-2018 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: New Orleans is not part of this thread.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Newnan
Senoia
Whittier Mill
Marietta
Roswell
Smyrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most? Marietta, Roswell, and Smyrna aren't nearly that far from Atlanta proper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
With the exception of Newnan and Senoia, they do.
And Whittier Mill is a neighborhood in the City of Atlanta proper.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
It we are discussing the metro,why would we cut off parts of a metro based on your distance requirements? Surely you are not suggesting those areas are less integral to the metro than others within the metro?
Whittier Mill is in Atlanta,Its a historic neighborhood just South of Cobb in the City pf Atlanta.
There are many of these areas within the metro .Some not as well known like Rex Mill area. In Cobb near Old Concourse Road is a very beautiful area with creeks forest and a one way bridge that is over a hundred years old

Yes, Icon's list above was just a sample. It did not include all.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...ed-states7.htm

Dallas suburbs are nice tidy and bland.All you mainly see is the same 3 or4 styles of 2story brick houses mainly.
Atlanta suburbs are very self sufficient and have their own character
How can you tell when you leave East Cobb and enter Sandy Springs or Alpharetta? Then Johns Creek and Roswell, then Peachtree Corners and Duluth... Those places all look the same for the most part. I'm not sure what differentiating factor makes the ATL suburbs so different from the other.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
How can you tell when you leave East Cobb and enter Sandy Springs or Alpharetta? Then Johns Creek and Roswell, then Peachtree Corners and Duluth... Those places all look the same for the most part. I'm not sure what differentiating factor makes the ATL suburbs so different from the other.
Well East Cobb is largely residential; it doesn't have the office presence of Sandy Springs or Alpharetta. Johns Creek has more of a master-planned feel than the rest. Roswell actually has a historic commercial core. Peachtree Corners has a decent office presence as well. I think that would probably be the major difference between those suburbs. However you won't really encounter *major* differences among them since they are all middle/upper-middle class suburbs.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
You caint leave East Cobb and enter Alpharetta...

Old 08-26-2018, 11:53 PM

923 posts, read 665,088 times
Quote:
When is the last time you spent considerable time in these metro communities around Atlanta?Some of these places are not exactly different but the ones that are,are very much so.
Its telling that you skip over more obvious areas unique areas like Decatur,Marietta,Covington,Senoia,Fayetteville,etc for Duluth,and Peachtree Corners.Maybe you just dont know about those areas in which case,you cant question anybody elses opinion.

Dunwoody,Sandy Springs,Alpharetta,Woodstock all have neighborhoods and subdivisions that are similar throughout the metro like all suburbs across the U.S.,but those areas each have historic ,whole new downtown,or redeveloped towns.
Since when does Roswell which was founded in 1840's as a mill town in which the mill still stands,looks like Johns Creek a city founded about 6 years ago and Sandy Springs which is only maybe 10 years old?
Even Sandy Springs is currently undergoing a more than a billion dollar retrofit.Personally still not my favorite area as it looks so new and tidy.Like Dallas,lol Yet its an improvement that merits special attention as its quite impressive the transformation that has occurred

Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You caint leave East Cobb and enter Alpharetta...
I'm guessing he meant Roswell which is close enough.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm guessing he meant Roswell which is close enough.

He needs to get it right.

Alpharetta ain't on the border of fashionable East Cobb.

I would think you, of all people, would find that unacceptable.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
He needs to get it right.

Alpharetta ain't on the border of fashionable East Cobb.

I would think you, of all people, would find that unacceptable.
It's not that serious dude LOL. It's not some huge egregious error, especially considering the fact that the border between Roswell and Alpharetta gets pretty confusing in some places. It would've been different if he mentioned a suburb that was nowhere close to East Cobb like Fayetteville or Lawrenceville or something. I fully understand the point he's trying to make.

Only an Alpharetta snob would take offense at someone confusing them with poor, rundown Roswell but I didn't peg you for one of those types.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 08-27-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City