Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 PM

923 posts, read 665,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've answered your question plenty of times and whether you elude to it being strong or even big, I'm telling you it isn't even a little influence. It is virtually nonexistent and like another poster said, there is no need for Texans to travel to Atlanta for pretty much anything that they do not have in their own large cities. How Atlanta influences those locations is that they are either much closer to these places or they have a more extensive historical connection with these places. Nothing more, nothing less. Look up in my previous posts to see what I mean by influence.

Yes Chicago was influenced. Historical connections from those coming up from Mississippi to Chicago via the great migration.
Yes Texas is influenced by Mexico. It's right by this entire nation. NYC and LA are special cases none of which Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas are.
I meant to say something about this in bold.
1,"its virtually nonexistent is not non existent.
2.I never said there was a reason to travel outside of Texas to Atlanta. Dont even know what that statement is about which is why I ignored his angry post.Had nothing to do with anything I said or implied
3.What historical connections to those states surrounding Georgia you mentioned different from connections to Texas,Oklahoma,Arkansas etc that you say dont exist?
It seems you are saying music influence doent count.When I think of Chicago I think of music from the Delta as far as culture,

When I mentioned Trap its not just that it is everywhere on the radio but its what musicians in those cities are emulating.When an artist is asked who influences them,they never met the artist before they started doing their artistry.They heard the sound,saw the painting or read the works and emulated what it ws they experienced.If thats not influence I dont know what is.
The example of Nashville was Country but Country came from a region much like the Blues in the Delta
country came out of the Appalacians.Atlanta in the earliest formation of country was just as instrumental as Nashville in its infancy
In fact Atlanta was the place of the first recording of a country music record ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlin%27_John_Carson

Obviously influence is fluid and it can travel far and wide.Its there but maybe debatable exactly how much is there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 AM

2,658 posts, read 2,102,720 times

Earliest pioneers of what is now coined "Trap" could be Texas's very owned UGK, Tennessee's 8Ball & MJG, And few others. It was coined by an ATL's T.I per say and grew from there in the early/mid 2000s. It just in the mainstream face in the present. Equally is Screwed music ( Screwhead here) can be found throughout Southern Hip Hop/Rap/Trap. It never went away or shrunk to Texas area. I just had to add this being a Hip Hop fan to the core.

On Topic,
As i stated before, ATL is mainly Southeast in it's influence. Over here in Mississippi ( born & raised) it's more towards Memphis & probably N.O & Houston. But I'll give it to Memphis for the Mid-South/Deep South region.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post

Earliest pioneers of what is now coined "Trap" could be Texas's very owned UGK, Tennessee's 8Ball & MJG, And few others. It was coined by an ATL's T.I per say and grew from there in the early/mid 2000s. It just in the mainstream face in the present. Equally is Screwed music ( Screwhead here) can be found throughout Southern Hip Hop/Rap/Trap. It never went away or shrunk to Texas area. I just had to add this being a Hip Hop fan to the core.

On Topic,
As i stated before, ATL is mainly Southeast in it's influence. Over here in Mississippi ( born & raised) it's more towards Memphis & probably N.O & Houston. But I'll give it to Memphis for the Mid-South/Deep South region.
Hip Hop is a collaboration.So I agree its sound is made up from different influences.You also HAVE have to add Shawty Redd to that group also.He is noted as the most influential in the formation and production of Trap
Read what I said earlier about how Country music wasnt born in Nashville but Nashville is its cultural center.
Nashville has and will always be Country musics cultural center.
Hip Hop truly is NYC but an argument
Just like Hip Hop would have never came to be without the Blues or jazz.

Atlanta is the recognized home of Trap in its current form.Even its name came from Atlanta artist.That cannot be disputed even if its beginnings are murky as to exactly where unlike Hip Hop origins in NYC..

Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
There is only one NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Vegas .... even Nashville. But many Atlanta's of various sizes growing YET their own niche in history.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:20 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I too, am trying to finds areas where Atlanta influences various cities in these different states throughout the Southeast.
For better (more lately) or for worse (historically), land use and transportation planning. Atlanta is known as the archetypal big Southern city, so as other cities in the region began to grow and develop, they looked--and still look--to Atlanta for what and what not to do (and although most other Southern city leaders won't admit it, they've already made many of the same mistakes in these areas that Atlanta has, just on a smaller scale). There's a reason why the common phrase from smaller Southeastern cities is "we don't want to become another Atlanta" instead of some other city--which, ironically, most often come from the cities that are well over 50% of the way there in terms of the worst aspects of growth and development go. As far as modern city amenities go, Atlanta pretty much had the first of everything within its region and as other Southeastern cities grew to attract these amenities, they often looked to Atlanta to assess the local advantages, disadvantages, impacts, ripple effects, etc. of those amenities in their cities. And most importantly, I think the "Atlanta Way" served as a model of sorts for other Southern cities in the post-Civil Rights era which faced decidedly different challenges than Northern (and Western) cities when Blacks began rising to political power starting in the 1970s.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.
Legacy cities that boomed and defined America. Nashville I mentioned as I spoke of County music and the South especially. Nashville gained a early niche and legacy for it that still reigns. Vegas entertainment and gambling Mecca. Though it can be added to a sunbelt fast growing current city.... but with its niche clear.

I do not see a king of the sunbelt after LA. The rest maintaining fast growth and metro sprawl pretty equally. Still in the process of even getting cores to claim outshining each other ..... though Miami's clearly looks it in skyline.

Most still let developers grow their city's and the housing choices over setting the goal-post for them and they need to build toward it.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
The point is every region has had some prominence in music at one time or another but Atlanta has had it going on over 20 years now and its world wide!
What you are talking about lasted less than a decade with some small prominence in the U,S, but mostly the SOuth and it was not ever THE main or ONLY sound in music but one of many.
No you totally mossed what I said about airline routes.

Domestically there are several routes between certain cities in the U.S. that are well traveled the most by Americans.Like MYC to LA or LA to SF or Chicago to NY.
Here is the list
Busiest Air Routes in the USA
View information as a: List Chart
Rank City A City B Passengers (September 2014 - August 2015, Millions)
1 Chicago New York 4
2 Los Angeles San Francisco 3.6
3 Los Angeles New York 3.4
4 Chicago Los Angeles 3
5 Miami New York 2.8
6 Atlanta Chicago 2.7
7 Chicago Minneapolis 2.7
8 Atlanta New York 2.6
9 Atlanta Orlando 2.6

10 Chicago Washington, DC 2.6

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-the-usa.html
That's because Delta routes most of its flights east of the Mississippi through Atlanta. Dallas and Houston are both Mid-Continent hubs and serve as the hubs for the Western South and South Central US (which is a much smaller populated region than the NE Corridor and South Atlantic), but an airline hub really has nothing to do with influence. Atlanta's airline role in the Southeast as Dallas Fort Worth is to the Western South/South Central Regions (American/Southwest) and Houston (United/Southwest) is to the Gulf South. I'm flying to Houston in a couple of days and won't be changing planes in Atlanta to get there since the airline I'm flying has a large hub in Houston, so bringing up air routes between different regions as an indicator of influence is somewhat pointless because it really depends on what airline you're flying on.

As usual, you're grasping at straws with your borderline illiterate rantings trying to make Atlanta more than what it is, even when Texan posters are telling you that it doesn't have that much influence in their part of the country. Bringing up music, chain stores that spread out nationally years ago are just distractions and strawmans, when this is more about the closest big cities and the amenities they offer. Atlanta is not on the radar west of the Mississippi, the same way Dallas and Houston really aren't on the radar of people in Atlanta, unless people are relocating to those cities. It is what it is...I used to live in Atlanta, and in general, it's pretty difficult to convince most Georgians that Texas is a Southern state; much less have them think of anywhere West of the Mississippi. And with the vast size and influence of Texas, getting them to think of anywhere outside of the state, much less anywhere East of the Mississippi is a tall order too.

Anecdotally, when I lived in Mississippi, it was a huge transition zone in terms of influence/nearest go-to big city due to its location along the Mississippi River and central location within the Southern US (not the Southeast, of which Mississippi is the Western boundary). While Atlanta definitely comes into play, there's a lot of movement between Mississippi and Dallas/Houston as well. Jackson is about equidistant between Dallas and Atlanta (about a 6 hour drive to each), and Houston is about a 7.5 hour drive. Most of my HS and college classmates who left the state either relocated to Atlanta (especially back in the 1990s), and the Dallas-Fort Worth area since it's a straight shot down Interstate 20. My nephew from Jackson and his group of friends now call the Dallas-Fort Worth Area home and Atlanta wasn't on his radar. His little brother is finishing school and is considering relocating to Texas and has no desire to move to Atlanta. Houston tends to be the go-to big city for residents in South Mississippi and especially along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but there are quite a few central Mississippians who now call Houston home as well.

Anecdotally, my friends in Houston will say that whatever is going on in Atlanta, they can do in Houston and there's no convincing them otherwise, and the feeling is mutual whenever I'm in Atlanta. But hey, I'll ask a few of them this week since you seem to delude yourself into thinking that Houstonians are influenced by Atlanta.

Basically, the OP should have split the south into the Southeast (where Atlanta is definitely an influence, and the go-to regional hub) and the Western South (where Dallas and Houston come into play). Dallas and Houston are both about 800 miles from Atlanta, which is quite a distance and there's quite a few people between each of these cities that have their preferences for where they go. Even Chicago's regional dominance comes into conflict with say, Minneapolis for the Upper Midwest, and that's about a 400 mile distance.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 AM

2,658 posts, read 2,102,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Hip Hop is a collaboration.So I agree its sound is made up from different influences.You also HAVE have to add Shawty Redd to that group also.He is noted as the most influential in the formation and production of Trap
Read what I said earlier about how Country music wasnt born in Nashville but Nashville is its cultural center.
Nashville has and will always be Country musics cultural center.
Hip Hop truly is NYC but an argument
Just like Hip Hop would have never came to be without the Blues or jazz.

Atlanta is the recognized home of Trap in its current form.Even its name came from Atlanta artist.That cannot be disputed even if its beginnings are murky as to exactly where unlike Hip Hop origins in NYC..
No, no, naw on Shawty Redd. T.I, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy in that case. I'm not speaking on "center" just that it's style was much early then it's current popularity, go back to UGK's hit Pocket Full Of Stones for an EXAMPLE . Not saying ATL didn't become the magnet for it of course.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
That's because Delta routes most of its flights east of the Mississippi through Atlanta. Dallas and Houston are both Mid-Continent hubs and serve as the hubs for the Western South and South Central US (which is a much smaller populated region than the NE Corridor and South Atlantic), but an airline hub really has nothing to do with influence. Atlanta's airline role in the Southeast as Dallas Fort Worth is to the Western South/South Central Regions (American/Southwest) and Houston (United/Southwest) is to the Gulf South. I'm flying to Houston in a couple of days and won't be changing planes in Atlanta to get there since the airline I'm flying has a large hub in Houston, so bringing up air routes between different regions as an indicator of influence is somewhat pointless because it really depends on what airline you're flying on.

As usual, you're grasping at straws with your borderline illiterate rantings trying to make Atlanta more than what it is, even when Texan posters are telling you that it doesn't have that much influence in their part of the country. Bringing up music, chain stores that spread out nationally years ago are just distractions and strawmans, when this is more about the closest big cities and the amenities they offer. Atlanta is not on the radar west of the Mississippi, the same way Dallas and Houston really aren't on the radar of people in Atlanta, unless people are relocating to those cities. It is what it is...I used to live in Atlanta, and in general, it's pretty difficult to convince most Georgians that Texas is a Southern state; much less have them think of anywhere West of the Mississippi. And with the vast size and influence of Texas, getting them to think of anywhere outside of the state, much less anywhere East of the Mississippi is a tall order too.

Anecdotally, when I lived in Mississippi, it was a huge transition zone in terms of influence/nearest go-to big city due to its location along the Mississippi River and central location within the Southern US (not the Southeast, of which Mississippi is the Western boundary). While Atlanta definitely comes into play, there's a lot of movement between Mississippi and Dallas/Houston as well. Jackson is about equidistant between Dallas and Atlanta (about a 6 hour drive to each), and Houston is about a 7.5 hour drive. Most of my HS and college classmates who left the state either relocated to Atlanta (especially back in the 1990s), and the Dallas-Fort Worth area since it's a straight shot down Interstate 20. My nephew from Jackson and his group of friends now call the Dallas-Fort Worth Area home and Atlanta wasn't on his radar. His little brother is finishing school and is considering relocating to Texas and has no desire to move to Atlanta. Houston tends to be the go-to big city for residents in South Mississippi and especially along the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but there are quite a few central Mississippians who now call Houston home as well.

Anecdotally, my friends in Houston will say that whatever is going on in Atlanta, they can do in Houston and there's no convincing them otherwise, and the feeling is mutual whenever I'm in Atlanta. But hey, I'll ask a few of them this week since you seem to delude yourself into thinking that Houstonians are influenced by Atlanta.

Basically, the OP should have split the south into the Southeast (where Atlanta is definitely an influence, and the go-to regional hub) and the Western South (where Dallas and Houston come into play). Dallas and Houston are both about 800 miles from Atlanta, which is quite a distance and there's quite a few people between each of these cities that have their preferences for where they go. Even Chicago's regional dominance comes into conflict with say, Minneapolis for the Upper Midwest, and that's about a 400 mile distance.
Its so obvious you have a comprehension problem Why bring up arguments I made in context of that post where I answered according to specific questions. In regards to chains I meant those particular chains are synonymous with the region.Much like how Krispy Kreme and Chick Fil A used to be before they expanded..
When I see Wawa,I know Im in Jersey or Philly area.Waffle House is a staple in Southern culture.Its synonymous with the region.
Just like nasty Big Red is with Texas and Oklahoma.

One thing I would never do as it shows a lack of class is be insulting in an internet forum with supposedly adults who should know how to communicate without calling some one "illiterate".
Obviously you have some issues as its just not that serious as we are not politicians who are debating policy that affects lives of people.
I suggest you fix whats wrong in your life if you are so upset at a poster you dont know on an internet forum that you feel a need to get so angry to be insulting. Dont take it out on me for whats wrong in YOUR life.
Maybe some counseling or anger management?

You should read exactly what I said rather than in typical insecure Houstonian obsequiousness arguing the specifics of my point rather than your own.
I said when I posted about the airline routes I did not know if it could be counted as an example regarding the airline routes.It was simply put out there to discuss.

I even said influence goes both ways such as Tex Mex might be considered influence.
My point is rather than arguing how these specific arguments I have made about how places are influenced and where it comes from as to distance is more relevant as to what makes those specific reason different i from those closer places?

If all you got in a half of page is "anecdotal" evidence as I glossed over as soon as you said "anecdotal"perhaps you may not know what you think you know.

Obviously you cant answer the question so you insult and try to discredit insulting a person inteligence and using by making straw man arguments.I guess now I know what a "biscuit Head" is.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
No, no, naw on Shawty Redd. T.I, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy in that case. I'm not speaking on "center" just that it's style was much early then it's current popularity, go back to UGK's hit Pocket Full Of Stones for an EXAMPLE . Not saying ATL didn't become the magnet for it of course.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City