Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Legacy cities that boomed and defined America. Nashville I mentioned as I spoke of County music and the South especially. Nashville gained a early niche and legacy for it that still reigns. Vegas entertainment and gambling Mecca. Though it can be added to a sunbelt fast growing current city.... but with its niche clear.

I do not see a king of the sunbelt after LA. The rest maintaining fast growth and metro sprawl pretty equally. Still in the process of even getting cores to claim outshining each other ..... though Miami's clearly looks it in skyline.

Most still let developers grow their city's and the housing choices over setting the goal-post for them and they need to build toward it.
LA isn't a legacy city either although its national role and impact are very well-defined.

But essentially, your argument is that if a city isn't legacy or highly niched then it's just a carbon copy with no notable contributions to the American story (which, by the way, is still being written as America is a relatively young country). I would strongly disagree with that notion and I'm very glad I'm not one to reduce a city's entire identity to development patterns, regardless of its size and importance and that's to say nothing of the wholesale dismissal of the elements that make cities unique to begin with (history, culture, geography, demography, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LA isn't a legacy city either although its national role and impact are very well-defined.

But essentially, your argument is that if a city isn't legacy or highly niched then it's just a carbon copy with no notable contributions to the American story (which, by the way, is still being written as America is a relatively young country). I would strongly disagree with that notion and I'm very glad I'm not one to reduce a city's entire identity to development patterns, regardless of its size and importance and that's to say nothing of the wholesale dismissal of the elements that make cities unique to begin with (history, culture, geography, demography, etc.).
Seattle Is Becoming America's 7th 'Legacy City

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottbe.../#3a26070921dd

From link:
- There is a very clear fault line in America's urban development pattern. A handful of so-called "legacy cities" grew before the automobile,
- these legacy cities have preserved this character, marked by high Walk Scores, density levels and transit ride shares, and by their urban feel. Included are New York, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago and San Francisco (and perhaps New Orleans and Baltimore, although those cities have hollowed out through the decades).

- Then there is pretty much everyone else.

Most U.S. cities were built following World War-II, function around the automobile, and do not have a contiguous urban fabric. Atlanta, perhaps the quintessential American city, is an example;

Several cities, however, are transitioning into legacy status, including Los Angeles, Miami and Denver. But the main one, when accounting for housing density and transit use, is Seattle.

Above ..... all from link.

LA still had a significant first-half of the 20th century. Including the Golden-age of Hollywood. It was the premier .... first major Sunbelt city. Much earlier boom period start then ...... the rest. So to me it earned significant Legacy attributes (to be Legacy in US history also IMO), that continued thru the last half of the 20th century ..... when OTHER newer booming cities were just starting and some took off much later still.

LA and Chicago developed the American-bungalow SFH. Then LA went on to the Ranch-home and it became a 50s onward suburban standard. Many contributions significant for LA that includes music,

It isn't to lessen Newer fast-growing booming cities fighting for ther niche over each others booming overall in population .... especially to their sprawling metros. They too note legacy cities much slower growth in general. But they are more of the same growth patterns and struggling to build fully functioning cores to define them more.

They still are creating their value and might (that is more then GDP) over merely corporate America steering growth there as cheaper to do business tax-wise ongoing reasons. Legacy cities clearly had to re-find, re-make and re-store what they lost in declines in ther cores. That many did and are.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-06-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Seattle Is Becoming America's 7th 'Legacy City

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottbe.../#3a26070921dd

From link:
- There is a very clear fault line in America's urban development pattern. A handful of so-called "legacy cities" grew before the automobile,
- these legacy cities have preserved this character, marked by high Walk Scores, density levels and transit ride shares, and by their urban feel. Included are New York, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago and San Francisco (and perhaps New Orleans and Baltimore, although those cities have hollowed out through the decades).

- Then there is pretty much everyone else.

Most U.S. cities were built following World War-II, function around the automobile, and do not have a contiguous urban fabric. Atlanta, perhaps the quintessential American city, is an example;

Several cities, however, are transitioning into legacy status, including Los Angeles, Miami and Denver. But the main one, when accounting for housing density and transit use, is Seattle.

Above ..... all from link.
LA still isn't generally recognized as a legacy city; it did pretty much all of its growing in the last century. But that's irrelevant given the larger point you were making as LA's contributions to society and culture are widely recognized coast to coast.

Quote:
It isn't to lessen Newer fast-growing booming cities fighting for ther niche over each others booming overall in population to ther metros and they too note legacy cities much slower growth in general. But they are more of the same growth patterns and struggling to build fully functioning cores to define them more.

They still are creating their value and might (that is more then GDP) over merely corporate America steering growth there as cheaper to do business tax-wise ongoing reasons. Legacy cities clearly had to re-find, re-make and re-store what they lost in declines in ther cores. That many did and are.
So this is just another one of your typical rants. Nobody in this thread disparaged legacy cities in the least so I don't see the relevance of anything you're saying. Why do you take the Sunbelt boom so personally? It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen here.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LA still isn't generally recognized as a legacy city; it did pretty much all of its growing in the last century. But that's irrelevant given the larger point you were making as LA's contributions to society and culture are widely recognized coast to coast.

So this is just another one of your typical rants. Nobody in this thread disparaged legacy cities in the least so I don't see the relevance of anything you're saying. Why do you take the Sunbelt boom so personally? It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen here.
Merely a reply to asking about what I wrote to correct as if totally false about LA's Legacy attributes i see pretty strong. I added a link that did not list LA as fully called a Legacy city YET. But the link called it transitioning. I just noted my OPINION it is MORE then not and a bit why.

LA has NOT been insignificant for All the 20th century basically. Sorry if pointing out the link too and calling Atlanta a quintessential American city for more the opposite of what Legacy cities get more significance for.

If it is a rant to think i added to the conversation..... so be it. Really not me to promote LA though. Give me that.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Its so obvious you have a comprehension problem Why bring up arguments I made in context of that post where I answered according to specific questions. In regards to chains I meant those particular chains are synonymous with the region.Much like how Krispy Kreme and Chick Fil A used to be before they expanded..
When I see Wawa,I know Im in Jersey or Philly area.Waffle House is a staple in Southern culture.Its synonymous with the region.
Just like nasty Big Red is with Texas and Oklahoma.

One thing I would never do as it shows a lack of class is be insulting in an internet forum with supposedly adults who should know how to communicate without calling some one "illiterate".
Obviously you have some issues as its just not that serious as we are not politicians who are debating policy that affects lives of people.
I suggest you fix whats wrong in your life if you are so upset at a poster you dont know on an internet forum that you feel a need to get so angry to be insulting. Dont take it out on me for whats wrong in YOUR life.
Maybe some counseling or anger management?

You should read exactly what I said rather than in typical insecure Houstonian obsequiousness arguing the specifics of my point rather than your own.
I said when I posted about the airline routes I did not know if it could be counted as an example regarding the airline routes.It was simply put out there to discuss.

I even said influence goes both ways such as Tex Mex might be considered influence.
My point is rather than arguing how these specific arguments I have made about how places are influenced and where it comes from as to distance is more relevant as to what makes those specific reason different i from those closer places?

If all you got in a half of page is "anecdotal" evidence as I glossed over as soon as you said "anecdotal"perhaps you may not know what you think you know.

Obviously you cant answer the question so you insult and try to discredit insulting a person inteligence and using by making straw man arguments.I guess now I know what a "biscuit Head" is.

Are you finished or are you done? LMAO...

I’m not even from Houston, so joke’s on you...I’m just saying that the south should’ve been split between western south and the southeast because Atlanta’s dominance don’t really overlap with Texan cities until you get to Mississippi. You can’t dispute anything I said, so you resort to playing armchair psychologist and gaslight my response. How quaint, but I’m glad you had your moment though

I said “anecdotally” because those were my personal experiences. Another Mississippi poster didn’t bring up Dallas, but notably brought up Houston as a city with regional pull and didn’t bring up Atlanta at all. Domestic migration maps would also show patterns between Mississippi and the cities in georgia and Texas.

I hope you keep all that energy to vote down there in Georgia today instead of arguing on here all day about Atlanta being the be all and end all of the South! Good day!

Last edited by biscuit_head; 11-06-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-06-2018, 10:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
My personal feeling is ATL "dominates" the Deep South, Charlotte the Carolina's, Raleigh NC and large portions of VA.

The deep south seems irrelevant to NC. Kentucky does also. Maybe Atlanta's centralized location makes it more relevant to more southern states. But I guess I just don't understand what "dominating" means.

If in the eyes of the rest of the country, sure, ATL. But for people living in the south? for NC & VA, only the Atlanta Braves or the GA aquarium seems a reason to really have to go to ATL. Between Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, DC, Nashville. We don't really need ATL.

Maybe the eastern portion of the US is just more populated so cities don't dominate entire regions.

I think this map of the NFL fan base sort of reflects my view of which city dominates a region https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...fandom/379729/

And same for the Northeast. It's hard to say NYC dominates when you have Boston.... And a case to make with Philly and even Pittsburgh.

For the west. Between Phoenix and LA. I'd say both dominate regions.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
My personal feeling is ATL "dominates" the Deep South, Charlotte the Carolina's, Raleigh NC and large portions of VA.

The deep south seems irrelevant to NC. Kentucky does also. Maybe Atlanta's centralized location makes it more relevant to more southern states. But I guess I just don't understand what "dominating" means.

If in the eyes of the rest of the country, sure, ATL. But for people living in the south? for NC & VA, only the Atlanta Braves or the GA aquarium seems a reason to really have to go to ATL. Between Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond, DC, Nashville. We don't really need ATL.

Maybe the eastern portion of the US is just more populated so cities don't dominate entire regions.

I think this map of the NFL fan base sort of reflects my view of which city dominates a region https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...fandom/379729/

And same for the Northeast. It's hard to say NYC dominates when you have Boston.... And a case to make with Philly and even Pittsburgh.

For the west. Between Phoenix and LA. I'd say both dominate regions.
San Francisco dominates Northern California and Northwestern Nevada (Reno), and Los Angeles dominates Southern California and Southern Nevada, and debatably, Phoenix. Phoenix has no regional pull in NorCal.

Isn’t NC Split between Atl and DC? Charlotte seems to lean towards Atlanta (while continually growing in what it has there and becoming a dominant city in the Carolinas), while RDU seems to lean towards DC. Greensboro is roughly halfway between DC and ATL, so I figured the influence between both cities collides there, with more influence from Charlotte.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 5,022 times
Atlanta has no influence in Texas at all.......period!

Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 AM

923 posts, read 665,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Are you finished or are you done? LMAO...

I’m not even from Houston, so joke’s on you...I’m just saying that the south should’ve been split between western south and the southeast because Atlanta’s dominance don’t really overlap with Texan cities until you get to Mississippi. You can’t dispute anything I said, so you resort to playing armchair psychologist and gaslight my response. How quaint, but I’m glad you had your moment though

I said “anecdotally” because those were my personal experiences. Another Mississippi poster didn’t bring up Dallas, but notably brought up Houston as a city with regional pull and didn’t bring up Atlanta at all. Domestic migration maps would also show patterns between Mississippi and the cities in georgia and Texas.

I hope you keep all that energy to vote down there in Georgia today instead of arguing on here all day about Atlanta being the be all and end all of the South! Good day!
I voted 2 weeks ago.
I was not the one "in their feelings" about a city data post calling other posters illiterate.
So the question is more for you: "are you done?
I ddnt come here for silliness but to debate our opinions.This isnt high school so I shouldn't expect name calling unless you are in high school.

Oh and Im not from Atlanta so joke is on you too,

BTW the list of airline routes I provided were among the busiest in the nation and in the world.
Your excuse using Delta was garbage.All three carriers have routes to those cities that is why they are among the busiest in the U.S but also the world.Its not JUST Delta.
If you look at Dallas .Houston and Atlanta airports you can see where the greatest connectivity is between the cities the airline flies in their top 10 routes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...p_destinations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas...tional_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartsf...p_destinations

American flies the most flights to cities like NYC,Boston,DC etc while the only destination Delta leads with the most flights is to Orlando,Tampa and Ft.Lauderdale all the rest are lead by American not Delta.

Dallas and Houston in thier top 10 both have Atlanta but only to Dallas is in Atlanta's top 10 but its not one of the nations busiest like the others.
Atlanta is more connected with cities up and down the East Coast and Texas is more connected to the South and West Coast.
You can look further in the busiest routes of international destinations from these airports as well.In Texas its a least 3 Mexico destinations from Dallas and Houston.
This all logic as the ties to each city due to geography mainly.

Last edited by Be Proud; 11-06-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Merely a reply to asking about what I wrote to correct as if totally false about LA's Legacy attributes i see pretty strong. I added a link that did not list LA as fully called a Legacy city YET. But the link called it transitioning. I just noted my OPINION it is MORE then not and a bit why.

LA has NOT been insignificant for All the 20th century basically. Sorry if pointing out the link too and calling Atlanta a quintessential American city for more the opposite of what Legacy cities get more significance for.

If it is a rant to think i added to the conversation..... so be it. Really not me to promote LA though. Give me that.
Ok. I don't even know where you're trying to go with any of this in relation to the question I posed, but enjoy the trip...which may apply in more than one context I'm convinced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City