Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 02:03 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to point out that some people are dismissive of "scenery" as if it's just like a painting that you see in the background outside your window, but for Vancouver that "scenery" also represents close-by recreational opportunities that are close to being unparalleled in North America.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Vancouver wins this one overall, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM

444 posts, read 282,865 times
Vancouver

Old 11-18-2020, 02:21 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Yeah, its Downtown doesn't really hold up to Downtown Portland. I can definitely see the Stamford similarities but it is smaller and less urban, no doubt.

It's really different model for a city - it has its traditional downtown which is pretty good, but not as charming as most New England downtowns, to be honest. Whereas most New England towns tend to be much more low-rise and less modern than Kelowna is outside of the Downtown. I really can't think of a comparable.
Actually - I'm gonna go back on this a little bit. Stamford is actually probably a decent comparison.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:41 PM

676 posts, read 647,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Well that’s the understatement of the century.

Providence is on the same general scale as Ottawa and Winnipeg. Comparing it to a place like Kelowna is an insult to the city, imo.

**A better New England equivalent for Kelowna may be Bangor?
Providence is a little more significant in scale than Winnipeg but definitely not on the same tier as Ottawa, which is a national capital and reasonably well known for its livability and amenities. I'd say somewhere in between the two with no direct Canadian analogue.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:53 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Providence is a little more significant in scale than Winnipeg but definitely not on the same tier as Ottawa, which is a national capital and reasonably well known for its livability and amenities. I'd say somewhere in between the two with no direct Canadian analogue.
While it's far behind in prominence and notoriety, I think the two are close enough in size that a comparison between them wouldn't be ridiculous. However, I do still think it's a bit silly to compare Providence with Kelowna like Natnasci wanted to.

I also think you're underselling Winnipeg. I think it and PVD are on the same level, but I don't know that PVD is clearly a smidge ahead.

Edit: While I'm sharing streetviews, here's Vancouver vs Boston

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-18-2020 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post

Winnipeg is way more important to Canada than Providence is to the US.
No one outside the US has ever heard of Providence but Winnipeg as a major regional centre, manufacturing, telecommunication centre (home to one of the largest national broadcasters), a transport hub that link Northen, Eastern and Western Canada, and the former largest city in western Canada.Winnipeg is also better known outside Canada than providence is. Halifax and Victoria which are half the size of Winnipeg are still more important to Canada and more widely known outside North America than Providence is.

The relative Canadian city to providence would be Saint Johns N.B. the commercial heart and Atlantic port of a minor eastern province that doesn't attract much national attention or any international attention, ie not a cruise ship destination and not many tourist visit it.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 11-19-2020 at 03:25 AM..

Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 AM

955 posts, read 611,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Winnipeg is way more important to Canada than Providence is to the US.
No one outside the US has ever heard of Providence but Winnipeg as a major regional centre, manufacturing, telecommunication centre (home to one of the largest national broadcasters), a transport hub that link Northen, Eastern and Western Canada, and the former largest city in western Canada.Winnipeg is also better known outside Canada than providence is. Halifax and Victoria which are half the size of Winnipeg are still more important to Canada and more widely known outside North America than Providence is.

The relative Canadian city to providence would be Saint Johns N.B. the commercial heart and Atlantic port of a minor eastern province that doesn't attract much national attention or any international attention, ie not a cruise ship destination and not many tourist visit it.
I don't think anyone in the US has ever heard of Victoria, just FYI.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:16 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
I have it's a beautiful city near Vancouver. I took a ferry from Port Angeles, Washington to Victoria.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Several cruise ships of American arrive in Victoria daily and the city is always full of Americans and other foreigners.
Victoria is also my favourite city in Canada you can't find a more pretty city on the continent.

To my point no cruise ship fill with foreigners are stopping off at providence to look at it's beauty and attractions.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 11-19-2020 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-19-2020, 09:09 AM

571 posts, read 1,173,503 times
Quote:
It's really well known in the Pacific Northwest - there's a fast ferry between downtown Seattle and Victoria that a lot of people take for weekend trips. It's an awesome town.

Re: Van vs Boston, I really like Vancouver - great city (and a quick drive from home for a day trip). But, I really like Boston's historical vernacular and access to the big east coast cities. Tough call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City