Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
Boston 120 52.63%
Vancouver 108 47.37%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 05:47 AM

3,871 posts, read 5,297,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
If you are an outdoor enthusiast then Vancouver is the city for you. It has the ocean, incredible mountain backdrop, and fantastic parks including probably the best in NA......Stanley.

In terms of urban amenities thou, Boston blows Vancouver out of the water in every dept save public transit which is probably a tie. From restaurants to shopping to nightlife to architecture to theatre to fine arts to museums to festivals to live music to urban energy and vibrancy..............Vancouver isn't even close to being in Boston's league little.

All depends on what you want in your city.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Both are fine cities but when it comes to city amenities Boston is in a clear tier above Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’d quibble about restaurants. Boston has come a long way over the last 50 years but it’s still pretty mediocre. Particularly if you like Asian/Indian. There’s nothing like a Vij’s. The China Pearl and Hei La Moon are laughably the top Boston Dim Sum places.
I think both cities have pretty good restaurant scenes. I find Boston has considerably more variety though, as I am unable to name a type of food I can find in Vancouver that I can’t find in Boston. On the other hand, I can name types of cuisine easily available in Boston that would be very difficult or impossible to find in Vancouver.

With that said, yes Vancouver is hands down superior when it comes to Chinese cuisine, across most regional styles of cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 06:36 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Both are fine cities but when it comes to city amenities Boston is in a clear tier above Vancouver.

I think both cities have pretty good restaurant scenes. I find Boston has considerably more variety though, as I am unable to name a type of food I can find in Vancouver that I can’t find in Boston. On the other hand, I can name types of cuisine easily available in Boston that would be very difficult or impossible to find in Vancouver.

With that said, yes Vancouver is hands down superior when it comes to Chinese cuisine, across most regional styles of cooking.
As amazing as seafood can be in Boston, I'd say Vancouver also has an edge there. They present different types of seafood, Boston does more shellfish and Vancouver is more of fresh salmon and halibut caught of BC waters. The best sushi I ever had was in Vancouver because of how fresh it was. It was so good, sushi has been a disappointment to have anywhere else NA. One can also get good oysters and crab in Vancouver, but I have a Boston bias for Littleneck clams, Cape Cod scallops, and Gulf of Maine lobster. But to add to the Chinese cuisine, Vancouver also does seafood very well.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:04 AM

3,871 posts, read 5,297,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
As amazing as seafood can be in Boston, I'd say Vancouver also has an edge there. They present different types of seafood, Boston does more shellfish and Vancouver is more of fresh salmon and halibut caught of BC waters. The best sushi I ever had was in Vancouver because of how fresh it was. It was so good, sushi has been a disappointment to have anywhere else NA. One can also get good oysters and crab in Vancouver, but I have a Boston bias for Littleneck clams, Cape Cod scallops, and Gulf of Maine lobster. But to add to the Chinese cuisine, Vancouver also does seafood very well.
Absolutely. I definitely don't want to come across as saying Vancouver only does "Chinese" food well. Excellent food from the Subcontinent, Japanese, Seafood, and many others. It is a good food town no doubt.

I also go out for a nice Omakase sushi meal every time I visit my family in Vancouver. One that still stands out is at a place named Maumi. A very memorable meal that still sticks with me to this day.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:42 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’d quibble about restaurants. Boston has come a long way over the last 50 years but it’s still pretty mediocre. Particularly if you like Asian/Indian. There’s nothing like a Vij’s. The China Pearl and Hei La Moon are laughably the top Boston Dim Sum places.
there's just a lot of cuisine in Boston you wont find in Vancouver from Latin America, Africa, Portugal and the Caribbean. Even though I'm not a big Boston food scene guy it has more variety because it still has lots of Asian food too.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,688,067 times
quality of life: Vancouver
economy: Boston
nightlife: Boston
scenery: Vancouver
daytime activities/events: Boston
shopping/entertainment venues: Tie
transportation: Boston
overall vibe

Old 11-29-2020, 04:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,897,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Cool video of Downtown Vancouver by Drone

Beautiful....I love Vancouver. I also love Victoria. Vancouver is ridiculously expensive, but if I had to live in Canada, that's where I'd be. Then, just a nice ferry ride over to Victoria.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
there's just a lot of cuisine in Boston you wont find in Vancouver from Latin America, Africa, Portugal and the Caribbean. Even though I'm not a big Boston food scene guy it has more variety because it still has lots of Asian food too.
Not sure of the degree compared to Boston, but you can find all those cuisines here, but light on the Portuguese.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Beautiful....I love Vancouver. I also love Victoria. Vancouver is ridiculously expensive, but if I had to live in Canada, that's where I'd be. Then, just a nice ferry ride over to Victoria.
Expensive to buy property...but day to day living is not ridiculous. Plus the best things to do in Vancouver are free!

Old 11-30-2020, 04:22 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qby9toBxpt4&t=2054s

Walking tour of Beacon Hill, the Common, and Newbury street. I think it adequately captures the beauty and weekday vibe of two of Boston's upscale neighborhoods. Scroll through briefly if you've never been.

This buzz, aesthetic and streetscape is irreplaceable, and was something I really missed when I was living out West. And keep in mind, the Charles River/the esplanade is just a few blocks west/north of where they are walking.. Sail boats, runners and bikers everywhere, beer gardens, tours, outdoor music.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3571...!7i5472!8i2736

To me, and in all of my travels, very few cities neighborhoods can compete.

Last edited by mwj119; 11-30-2020 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-30-2020, 04:38 PM

444 posts, read 284,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Owning property is expansive in Vancouver, but renting is not.
and Victoria is my favourite Canadian city.
I would do it the opposite, live in Victoria and take the ferry to Vancouver frequently.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 11-30-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City