Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Unless one has a connection, or it's work related, I never hear anyone speak of either. I don't know anyone who has gone there to live, but I did have friends in Chicago, who came from Raleigh.
I don’t think Illinois is one of the big states for migration to NC. It’s mostly the big states on the east coast plus Texas, California, and Ohio.

Looks like Illinois big exodus states are California, Indiana, Florida, Missouri, and Wisconsin.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Perception

Raleigh: Cool, Upbeat, High Tech City with lots going for it.

Charlotte: Very Southern, Bigger but I cant really think of things that are special about Charlotte.
I live in the Charlotte area and have several family members in the Raleigh/Durham area, so I'm extremely familiar with both areas. I also love both.

Both have great climates (IMO at least, lol), different but equally strong economies, have great parks/greenways/tree cover/flora/very clean, and great people. In terms of transportation, RDU has a slightly better freeway system, but CLT has a larger/busier airport and has light rail and trolleys.

RDU over CLT: 3 major D1 universities (North Carolina, NC St., Duke), 2 of the top hospitals in the nation (Duke and NC Med. Center).

CLT over RDU: Even though RDU's cost of living isn't high (just a little over the national average), CLT's is better and has better Purchasing Power (cost of living vs. annual income). There are a good bit more recreational assets in the CLT area. CLT metro has more a solid, urban/cosmopolitan central city compared to RDU which seems more like one huge suburb.

Some of this is relative depending on an individual's likes and preferences. Like I said, I love both areas and would recommend either to others depending on what they're looking for. But I personally prefer Charlotte, mostly due to the higher number, more unique things to do in the area. There's way more to do here than most people on a national level realize.

I guess all of us have a perception of an area or areas that we're not very familiar with. My personal example would be when I lived in Orlando about 10 years ago. I live there about a year. I've also had 1.0-1.5 years stints in Boston/Cape Cod region and Columbus, OH). Before then, I had only been to Orlando as a tourist. I've gone MANY times over the decades, but only for vacations. I had a perception of it just being one, big, bloated tourist trap. When I moved there, I was amazed at just how wonderfully livable the city/metro was. North of the FL Turnpike, you almost wouldn't know there were theme parks and other touristy places anywhere in the area. I do love the theme parks there, but I don't want to have that touristy feel in my face 24/7. Their non-tourist areas are so pretty; nice downtown, great parks, lakes, greenways, town centers, suburban towns, etc. Though I've studied metros since 1985, it reminded me to be careful to not jump to conclusions about any area. I still have to watch myself to not do that from time to time, it's so easy. Anyway, that's my take

Last edited by march2; 12-08-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
RDU is an airport please and thank you.

And while the Triangle very much earned its reputation for suburbs, I think with the growth of North Hills to go with Chapel Hill, and the growth of downtown Raleigh & downtown Durham, it’s probably time to realize the region isn’t quite what it was 10 let alone 20 years ago.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

And while the Triangle very much earned its reputation for suburbs, I think with the growth of North Hills to go with Chapel Hill, and the growth of downtown Raleigh & downtown Durham, it’s probably time to realize the region isn’t quite what it was 10 let alone 20 years ago.
I really do think the 2 downtowns are going to be more urbanized than they have been and are now over the next 5-10 years. The potential is really there. I occasionally abbreviate a metro's or city's name (TSP, CLT, RDU, MSP, etc.) just for convenience sake as to not have to continuously type the whole word or words. There's no need to be offended.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:

North Hills is suburban as all get out. There is nothing urban about it, what it really seems like is they are building up a regional equivalent to Buckhead to complement Downtown Raleigh...

The area will continue to grow but urbanize would be kind of a generic term for it, as public transit over there is still poor, the main thoroughfares are 6-8 lanes wide, there is pretty much no pedestrian or street activity because there can't be, and the aesthetic makeup of the area is suburban...

Raleigh has no urban neighborhoods, it is extraordinarily unique in that it's the only place I've lived that I can say that about. Downtown is urban-ish, I guess it counts, but outside of Downtown, unless you're counting the Hillsborough strip thru State, there really is no urbanity here...

Charlotte will probably always remain the stronger city, but as I've always said, there are some things both Charlotte and Raleigh have in common and they do complement each other nicely...

Last edited by mjlo; 12-09-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
I don’t think Illinois is one of the big states for migration to NC. It’s mostly the big states on the east coast plus Texas, California, and Ohio.

Looks like Illinois big exodus states are California, Indiana, Florida, Missouri, and Wisconsin.
No, the people I knew moved to Chicago from NC.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Perception

Raleigh: Cool, Upbeat, High Tech City with lots going for it.

Charlotte: Very Southern, Bigger but I cant really think of things that are special about Charlotte.
Charlotte is Southern for sure but very Southern?

Old 12-09-2019, 04:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
So are CLT and ATL. Sometimes the airport designation serves as a convenient reference for the region...no big deal.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:27 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Both seem like prosperous growing places. Good jobs, good schools, reasonable CoL relative to incomes.

Charlotte has more of a proto big city feel, while the Triangle feels somewhat like Northern Virginia...lots of well educated transplants.

Both have some history and have been infilling, but given their newness and general postwar suburban feel they can feel a little cookie cutter.

They are ideally situated in that both are only a couple hours from the ocean or mountains. But the immediate settings are more pleasent than spectacular. A lush, gently rolling landscape with some man made lakes and small rivers.

Neither city will be romanticized for it's sense of place, urbanism or outdoors culture . But, all in all, they are nice places to live.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:29 PM

8,322 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:

Yes, it is a great airport. Much prettier than Charlotte.

However, the destination list from Charlotte is many times larger.

Pretty airport vs. extensive network. Your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City