Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,974,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually people are also talking about the city of Raleigh itself which boasts low crime and good schools along with professional jobs and a relatively low COL. It's somewhat rare for a central city to have all of those characteristics. I'm sure it's still nothing special to you but it's a winning formula for Raleigh.
Was not aware Raleigh has good schools. That IS rare.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Was not aware Raleigh has good schools. That IS rare.
That is likely due to having a county school district versus having a city district that just covers the city. So, there are a range of options that kids can go to, as Wake County voluntarily bused children to bring about "balance" within the schools.

On the other hand, there have been issues where a child can have one school assignment, but it changes the next year or in terms of bus ride times, where a student could be bused across the county. I'm not sure if that has been addressed, but that has been an issue within the SD.

Overcrowding has been an issue in recent years as well.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
They can change your base assignment but they give you a couple weeks to file a waiver that is automatically granted.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Actually people are also talking about the city of Raleigh itself which boasts low crime and good schools along with professional jobs and a relatively low COL. It's somewhat rare for a central city to have all of those characteristics. I'm sure it's still nothing special to you but it's a winning formula for Raleigh.
That's a big difference between Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte still has some "legacy" problems that Raleigh has largely avoided.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's a big difference between Raleigh and Charlotte. Charlotte still has some "legacy" problems that Raleigh has largely avoided.
What are you referring to? I ask because it may be a matter of degree and knowledge of said issues. An example from a while back: https://www.wral.com/poverty-rate-so...tros/13890778/

Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Lower crime rates and better schools have usually been Raleigh’s main trump card over Charlotte in most of those livability rankings.

Last edited by Heel82; 02-13-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,942,159 times
Quote:
Overall Charlotte and Raleigh certainly have more to do than Asheville because they are significantly larger cities. Not only that, but they provide more well-paying job opportunities for residents to afford a wider variety of things to do. If Asheville is so much more desirable for the average person, then why don't companies follow? Obviously Asheville is a great niche tourist destination but that doesn't mean that people want to live there year-round. Give me Charlotte or Raleigh over Asheville any day of the week.
I kind of misread an earlier comment. I wasn't trying to say that there's more to do in Asheville or more good job opportunities there than in Charlotte or Raleigh. Again, I was just saying that Asheville is a tourist destination.

It's not the slightest bit unusual for touristy towns or tourist attractions in states to be more heavily marketed and even better known to people in other regions that the major cities. It's also not unusual at all for a highly desirable area in the state to not be the place to practically live and find employment for most people. For example, many-if not most- people in CO would rather live in a cute mountain town than on the plains, but for a number of reasons it's not feasible and most opportunities are still in Denver. The level of appeal of a place is not directly correlated to the ability to find a job.

Finally, it's entirely possible that people in many areas find Asheville and the NC mountains appealing and know literally nothing about CLT or RDU, regardless of your personal preferences.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:56 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Lower crime rates and better schools have usually been Raleigh’s main trump card over Charlotte in most of those livability rankings.
Yep...very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I kind of misread an earlier comment. I wasn't trying to say that there's more to do in Asheville or more good job opportunities there than in Charlotte or Raleigh. Again, I was just saying that Asheville is a tourist destination.

It's not the slightest bit unusual for touristy towns or tourist attractions in states to be more heavily marketed and even better known to people in other regions that the major cities. It's also not unusual at all for a highly desirable area in the state to not be the place to practically live and find employment for most people. For example, many-if not most- people in CO would rather live in a cute mountain town than on the plains, but for a number of reasons it's not feasible and most opportunities are still in Denver. The level of appeal of a place is not directly correlated to the ability to find a job.

Finally, it's entirely possible that people in many areas find Asheville and the NC mountains appealing and know literally nothing about CLT or RDU, regardless of your personal preferences.
Of course Asheville is more well-known as a tourist destination; no one denies that. But that doesn't mean that it has more things to do overall than Raleigh or Charlotte, especially when it comes to urban amenities that play a bigger role in day-to-day living. I'd say most people prefer that than the niche things that Asheville offers.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
From a national perspective I would consider Charlotte more well known. I may be skewed because I work in the airline industry and Charlotte is a huge hub and Raleigh isnt.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

Even with the tourist buzz, I highly doubt Asheville is more well known nationally than Raleigh, much less Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City