Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Eh, Metro Charlotte is more than 25% larger than metro Durham and metro Raleigh combined. Which is a little less than a 600,000 person difference.

If you use the CSA, that difference shrinks to a 400,000 population gap between the two. But at the end of the day, it’s not like they’re separated by millions, but it’s still a sizable gap considering the size of the two.
I agree that it is a sizeable difference. Does it mean that Charlotte is more cosmopolitan or destroys the combined metros? No. The difference will be felt in amenities, infrastructure, GDP, economics etc. I'm not sure how others can take issue with your statement.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 PM
C85

20 posts, read 25,828 times
Metro GPD 2016 in millions

Charlotte - 136,196
Raleigh - 67,196

Growth Rate

Raleigh - 5.3 percent
Charlotte - 3.4 percent

Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,401,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree that it is a sizeable difference. Does it mean that Charlotte is more cosmopolitan or destroys the combined metros? No. The difference will be felt in amenities, infrastructure, GDP, economics etc. I'm not sure how others can take issue with your statement.
Eh. I even stated “it’s not like it’s millions”

Oh welll

Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C85 View Post

Charlotte - 136,196
Raleigh - 67,196

Growth Rate

Raleigh - 5.3 percent
Charlotte - 3.4 percent
Durham GDP is around 43,000. Again, there is a gap, but we aren’t talking Atlanta to Charlotte here or anything.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,401,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C85 View Post

Charlotte - 136,196
Raleigh - 67,196

Growth Rate

Raleigh - 5.3 percent
Charlotte - 3.4 percent

Growth rate of GDP?

Also, what’s Durham’s growth rate?

The annoying part of Charlotte being compared to the Triangle is people interchangeably decide “well, you have to include Durham with Raleigh” but lots of times Durham actually drags down Raleigh back to Charlotte’s crime or growth rates. Not saying that’s the case here.

And another point. I’m not really sure what GDP has to do with perception. I never go somewhere and think of the GDP.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:25 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Googling took me to a US Mayor’s report from 6/2018 here.

http://www.usmayors.org/wp-content/u...-June-2018.pdf

Eyeballing it, it looks like they went from 2016 to 2019 projections. Basically Charlotte is expected to be at 192 billion GMP by then (or 17.4% bigger than 2016) and Raleigh-Durham at 146 billion (or 18.3% bigger than 2016; you are correct Raleigh’s metro is expected to grow faster than Durham). Both are big and growing bigger. Charlotte will continue to be first in the state, no worries there.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 AM

225 posts, read 211,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Do people nationally look at Charlotte or Raleigh as a major city? Do people recognize any cultural output from either?
I'm originally from urban New England with strong ties to all New England states besides NH, as well as ties to NYC. My answer to both is no...

Honestly, I'd never heard of Charlotte in any context outside of sports. If you asked me about Charlotte before I left New England I couldn't tell you much. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (and Asheville) I did hear about before visiting. Pretty sure it's due to the schools and employers in the area; because of these some people had family living there.

While NoVA and Atlanta were top two Southern destinations, Raleigh/Durham (and Asheville) was a destination for New Englanders who were more moderate to conservative on the social and political scale. I know people here think it's liberal area but that's not the perception where I'm from. And truly, the people I know who did move there and liked it were more socially conservative (which outside of New England would probably be considered moderately liberal).

I have a family member who recently moved out of Raleigh/Durham to Atlanta for work. Now she wants to move back. She said Raleigh was just a more positive atmosphere and felt like a second home.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:17 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post

While NoVA and Atlanta were top two Southern destinations,
Lmfaoo don't repeat the bolded in here, my good friend and fellow Northern Virginian NovaGuy and a horde of Maryland suburbanites from the DC area will explode...

I was just recalling yesterday, that a year ago I spent a month in Vermont (Burlington) on work assignment. I did know a girl who previously lived in Fayetteville, NC, and said she was in love with NC, but other than that, I never heard Charlotte or Raleigh mentioned. DC and Florida were the areas that most often came up, but this was in Burlington only...

Old 01-29-2019, 07:36 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
My sister and her family have been living in Cary and Apex for about 10 years. I understood the attraction for them, good paying jobs for my BIL, good schools for her kids, and at the time it was exceptionally affordable.

As a visitor to the Raleigh-Durham, I get seriously underwhelmed. There really isn't much to do there that I find interesting. I always wish they lived closer to the NC coast of Asheville where there is so much more to do. Raleigh feels like a workaday government town and becomes suburban very quickly away from the unremarkable downtown core. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are nice with a quality college town feel, but not very exciting, Durham has opportunity to develop into something interesting but the whole area after repeated visits becomes very meh..

I've been on a brief visit to Charlotte. I find the area visually more interesting (slightly), but still after a while it becomes the same hum drum of New South surburbia one could find anywhere else. The whole Piedmont area is just an in between place for me with not much to offer in the way of fun. The NC Coast and Mountains are where I want to be if I'm visiting, love both of those parts in the Tar Heel State.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-29-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I'm originally from urban New England with strong ties to all New England states besides NH, as well as ties to NYC. My answer to both is no...

Honestly, I'd never heard of Charlotte in any context outside of sports. If you asked me about Charlotte before I left New England I couldn't tell you much. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (and Asheville) I did hear about before visiting. Pretty sure it's due to the schools and employers in the area; because of these some people had family living there.

While NoVA and Atlanta were top two Southern destinations, Raleigh/Durham (and Asheville) was a destination for New Englanders who were more moderate to conservative on the social and political scale. I know people here think it's liberal area but that's not the perception where I'm from. And truly, the people I know who did move there and liked it were more socially conservative (which outside of New England would probably be considered moderately liberal).

I have a family member who recently moved out of Raleigh/Durham to Atlanta for work. Now she wants to move back. She said Raleigh was just a more positive atmosphere and felt like a second home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
My sister and her family have been living in Cary and Apex for about 10 years. I understood the attraction for them, good paying jobs for my BIL, good schools for her kids, and at the time it was exceptionally affordable.

As a visitor to the Raleigh-Durham, I get seriously underwhelmed, there really isn't much to do there that I find interesting. I always wish they lived closer to the NC coast of Asheville where there is so much more to do. Raleigh feels like a workaday government town and becomes suburban very quickly away from the unremarkable downtown core. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are nice with a quality college town feel, but not very exciting, Durham has opportunity to develop into something interesting but the whole area after repeated visits becomes very meh..

I've been on a brief visit to Charlotte. I find the area visually more interesting (slightly), but still after a while it becomes the same hum drum of New South surburbia one could find anywhere else. The whole Piedmont area is just an in between place for me with not much to offer in the way of fun. The NC Coast and Mountains are where I want to be if I'm visiting, love both of those parts in the Tar Heel State.
This is fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City