Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is mentioned more in my circles but I'm in tech. I'd love to live there, have heard great things.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:10 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I live in the Raleigh suburbs and this is a fair assessment. What makes Raleigh stand out more than those cities is the more robust job market and a bigger MSA/CSA than either of those cities. Although driving through downtown Raleigh could conjure up images of Omaha. I will say that DT Raleigh has really been buzzing over the last several years though.

Raleigh just has so much more to offer than those other cities, although I've heard good things about Omaha. The downtowns might not stand out from each other but the cities & metro areas are completely different. Raleigh will also start to look much more cosmopolitan in the coming years compared to those cities.
I call it the Atlanta effect. Raleigh continues to grow and develop in a way that you have to get off the interstate to appreciate what's there. Behind the heavily forested area are thousands of new homes, apartments, retail and commercial developments. All relatively affordable compared to larger metros.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 811,627 times
It's kinda intresting Raleigh is the favorite city of NC compared to Charlotte. I though Charlotte would be more well received nationally because of its size alone. Charlotte has the 17th largest population in the US but yet gets overlooked by it's East Coast counterparts. Charlotte has all the key ingredients of a major city in the US: major sports team, skyscrapers, traffic, Concerts, local celebrities, stadiums. One thing that holds it back is it's lacks culture that sets it apart from being just another sun-belt city.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
City publicity, amenities, workforces, etc., are more about CSA/PSA than MSA.

Charlotte was #23 at last count.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
It's kinda intresting Raleigh is the favorite city of NC compared to Charlotte.
According to who???? Lololol

Quote:
I though Charlotte would be more well received nationally because of its size alone. Charlotte has the 17th largest population in the US but yet gets overlooked by it's East Coast counterparts. Charlotte has all the key ingredients of a major city in the US: major sports team, skyscrapers, traffic, Concerts, local celebrities, stadiums. One thing that holds it back is it's lacks culture that sets it apart from being just another sun-belt city.
Charlotte is a newcomer to the "big cities club" but I'm curious as to how you think it gets overlooked. It's growing rapidly, companies are moving and expanding there left and right, it's getting more big-ticket events, its airport is quite big and busy for its size and growing, it's expanding transit, etc. I mean what else do you want? Lol

Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
City publicity, amenities, workforces, etc., are more about CSA/PSA than MSA.

Charlotte was #23 at last count.
Gotta disagree with that. MSA is generally more relevant when it comes to that except in a few select cases when it comes to multinodal or very isolated regions. Charlotte doesn't fall into that category which is why there's very little difference between its MSA and CSA populations.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,186,906 times
I have a few friends from high school who relocated to the Charlotte area. One who refuses to live in NC and bought a house in Fort Mill (I don't know her reasons). I was happy to visit them in Charlotte for the day but was equally happy leaving that same day.

I've only been to Raleigh for short work trips.

Neither city did anything for me. I didn't dislike them but I didn't find anything special about them either. They were both too new for me.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Neither Raleigh nor Charlotte are tourist places. Their strength is liveability. I’m pretty sure Raleigh’s biggest calling card after basketball and RTP are the endless magazine lists for best places to live it’s been on for the past 20 years.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I call it the Atlanta effect. Raleigh continues to grow and develop in a way that you have to get off the interstate to appreciate what's there. Behind the heavily forested area are thousands of new homes, apartments, retail and commercial developments. All relatively affordable compared to larger metros.
This is a good description. I think a lot of people say they've been to Raleigh but have only gone to one specific area or have just drove through. Like you said, you gotta get off the highways. I know it's not the most "wowing" place but a lot of development and neighborhoods are more isolated from the common roads people travel versus other cities.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,481,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
This is a good description. I think a lot of people say they've been to Raleigh but have only gone to one specific area or have just drove through. Like you said, you gotta get off the highways. I know it's not the most "wowing" place but a lot of development and neighborhoods are more isolated from the common roads people travel versus other cities.

Yep, common for Cities in the South. A lot of new suburban sprawl, and nice homes, communities in the woods and boonies waiting to be explored...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City