Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Best
Mountain Brook 12 27.91%
Belle Meade 12 27.91%
San Marcos 0 0%
Mount Pleasant 4 9.30%
Myers Park 8 18.60%
Windermere 3 6.98%
Uptown 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I was under the impression you despised Miami—surprised to see Gables (including Cocoplum), Star and Fisher Island from you (though I am not disagreeing) and would add Hibiscus Island, Sunset Islands, Venetian Islands, and La Gorce Island.
I despised living there, yes; that doesn't change the fact these are elite communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I don’t think I understand the list. Mount Pleasant is a decent suburb, but enclave? And Kiawah Island also gets my vote for the perfect Southern enclave. Marshes, and sandcastles, and golf, oh my.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:38 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is hilarious, OP lists a handful of areas like everybody should know these places and/or agree they are the "best". Lol you'd have done better leaving it open for people!
I didn’t say you had to agree that they are best, I asked of these which is best. And please feel free to add to the list, sir/ma’am.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Well, I don't call myself Ben Around for nothing, but I've never heard of most of them!
Well maybe you’re lying about how much you’ve traveled then. In fact, how much time have you spent in the Southeast?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Uptown... Uptown what? There are so many.
There is only ONE Uptown/Carrollton in the Southeast and probably United States. I really do think folks intentionally make stuff complicated for no reason. And I didn’t add states because I wanted responses from folks that KNOW and have EXPERIENCED these places. Geez.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
New Orleans, I would guess.

My choice is Mountain Brook, as it is IMO the quintessence of what the OP is alluding to.

Other 'enclaves' I would add to the list:

Riverside (Jacksonville)
Druid Hills, Historic Brookhaven (Atlanta)
Coral Gables, Fisher Island, Star Island (Miami)
Palma Ceia (Tampa)
Franklin (Nashville; a favorite of country music stars)
Winter Park (Orlando)
Port Royal (Naples)
I was unsure of which was more prominent, Winter Park or Windermere. Tampa, I’ve never been able to get a good feel for where the upper crust resides. I need to spend more time there, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Palma Ceia.

I kinda left all of Atlanta and Miami’s places off the list, because, let’s just be honest: Historic Brookhaven and Druid Hills are pretty much unfairly above most all other places in the South if only for being in Atlanta alone.

Maybe I should have done a best SE suburb and compare Milton, Franklin, etc. I felt like that would have been too general and a lot of inexperienced chatter. Oh well...

Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
There is only ONE Uptown/Carrollton in the Southeast and probably United States. I really do think folks intentionally make stuff complicated for no reason. And I didn’t add states because I wanted responses from folks that KNOW and have EXPERIENCED these places. Geez.
There may be only ONE UPTOWN/CARROLTOWN, but your poll just says "UPTOWN." There is a neighborhood distinctly called "Uptown" a few miles from where I live.

Your post clarifies this, but a lot of people are just going to come here and respond to the poll without going through the posts.

Fix your poll and you won't get these responses lol.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I was unsure of which was more prominent, Winter Park or Windermere. Tampa, I’ve never been able to get a good feel for where the upper crust resides. I need to spend more time there, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Palma Ceia.
The affluent part of Winter Park is much larger than Windermere, but Windermere feels more exclusive.

Note that Windermere is VERY small, and does not actually include the millionaire subdivisions often associated with it like Isleworth, which are part of Unincorporated Orange County.

That being said, as far as Orlando goes, I think Markham Woods, particularly Heathrow and Alaqua, are the best that Orlando has to offer.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The affluent part of Winter Park is much larger than Windermere, but Windermere feels more exclusive.

Note that Windermere is VERY small, and does not actually include the millionaire subdivisions often associated with it like Isleworth, which are part of Unincorporated Orange County.

That being said, as far as Orlando goes, I think Markham Woods, particularly Heathrow and Alaqua, are the best that Orlando has to offer.
Noted. And thanks for your response. You see, I’m also learning new areas to explore this year when I travel through this discussion. So thanks!

Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I was under the impression you despised Miami—surprised to see Gables (including Cocoplum), Star and Fisher Island from you (though I am not disagreeing) and would add Hibiscus Island, Sunset Islands, Venetian Islands, and La Gorce Island.
Lol. Miami’s communities are just entirely too much for anywhere else to answer to. Same with Atlanta’s. That why I left them off the list. We could do a post alone on comparing South Florida’s elite to Atlanta’s. That would be a good and epic mud slinging competition. And one I have no desire to initiate or partake in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City