Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My mother born and raised in Miami told me she remembers people calling it little New York when she was in grade school. May be some truth to the 6th borough thing.
It definitely has that feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
When I grew up on Long Island (40-50 years ago), one of the more common jokes was, “what’s a NY’er’s favorite wine” (or, in this case, whine)??—and the answer was, “I want to go to Miami.”

Back then Miami and Miami Beach were seasonal (winter) destinations that folks went for vacation or, in the case of my grandfather, spent the winter months...heck, SoBe only became a happening place to visit 25 years ago—it’s still relatively young, though no longer seasonal only. There are other places as well in SoFla that have become more popular since then (Boca, Delray Beach, West Palm, Broward still popular) that people from the NY tri state area will visit and/or move to but they lack the energy level and excitement of the Miami area some NY’ers (especially from NYC) crave. In addition, a number of established/popular NYC restaurants and bars continue opening outposts in Miami and Miami Beach—I don’t think owners of these establishments are doing this for the Cubans, Colombians and Brazilians; if there STILL was not a connection (and plenty of NY’ers living here and visiting) between the 2 cities I tend to doubt they would be as likely to open outposts here.

Thx everyone for the replies...seems like Chicago-Phoenix would share a similar connection between distant cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It definitely has that feel.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-10-2019 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Most of the 8 or 10 million people of NYC, consider the East Coast of Florida to be the 6th borough of NYC....that is a well-known fact.....
Even those that have never even stepped foot in South Florida? I don't think that's likely.

You definitely meet a lot of New Yorkers here, but that hasn't resulted in a similar feel, for me personally. Two very different cities at the end of the day.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
I was in Miami two years ago and I don't really see the NY influence. Most tourists, waiters, and people on the street were either European or from Latin America. South Beach kinda has a Jewish/NY feel, but anywhere else in Miami the influence seems nonexistent.

I understand it's a big travel destination for NYers, but you wouldn't know it unless you were seeking it out in some way.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
NY'ers don't invade Miami like they once did.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Even those that have never even stepped foot in South Florida? I don't think that's likely.

You definitely meet a lot of New Yorkers here, but that hasn't resulted in a similar feel, for me personally. Two very different cities at the end of the day.
The two cities are nothing alike, but throughout Miami's history, it was developed almost specifically to cater to snowbirds. Going way back to the Henry Flagler days.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM

383 posts, read 634,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami is often referred to as the sixth borough of NYC. Many from the NY metro area vacation there, own property there (full time and/or part time), and many NY eateries and bars have set up outposts there. Some individual neighborhoods between the 2 cities share similarities.

What other city pairings share a simliar or common bond??

I know people from Arizona flood San Diego to escape the heat in the summer, but is there a mutual bond between SD and Phoenix where the 2 consider themselves sister cities? Does a spring training site forge a bond?

Many from SF have fled to Portland, Denver and elsewhere but is anyone calling Portland SF North??

Whereas Miami attracts more Northeasterners, the West Coast of FL attracts more midwesterners...do Tampa and Chicago share a special bond??

Curious what far away cities (minimum 300 miles apart) share a common and as close a bond like Miami and NYC.

Not only NYC/Miami, but NYC and southern Fl including Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach.
I lived in NYC for most of my life, and moved to Tampa. Tampa has many midwesterners, but still quite a bit of NY'ers.
Now I live in Phoenix and I see a mix of midwesterners and Californians.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:27 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Paterson, New Jersey - Lima, Peru

I also noticed that some parts of Lima even feel like I am in Paterson.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Detroit and Atlanta, or actually more like Michigan and Georgia. I notice there are many people from Michigan who move down to Georgia because it's like a warmer Michigan.
Or Michigan and Florida. A lot of people here are snowbirds and they are always talking about going their place in Florida when the weather starts to cool down.

I've never heard any Detroiter talk about Oakland with either passion or frequency - and we've lived all over the Metro Detroit area.

So I'm really curious where the idea that we'd have any affinity with Oakland would come from. It's usually Florida, Georgia or Arizona (being a very distant third). Oakland isn't on anyone's list. Sorry.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Black Detroiters have connections to the west coast. Some have connections to the Bay Area in particular. Alot of these connections between cities vary along racial lines, IE: Chicago/Mississippi vs Chicago/Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City