Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite city in the Midwest for tourism?
Ann Arbor 1 0.80%
Chicago 74 59.20%
Cincinnati 5 4.00%
Cleveland 5 4.00%
Columbus 1 0.80%
Detroit 4 3.20%
Des Moines 1 0.80%
Duluth 1 0.80%
Fargo 1 0.80%
Grand Rapids 2 1.60%
Indianapolis 3 2.40%
Kansas City 5 4.00%
Madison 0 0%
Milwaukee 3 2.40%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 6 4.80%
Omaha 1 0.80%
St. Louis 5 4.00%
Sioux Falls 1 0.80%
Springfield (IL) 1 0.80%
Traverse City 5 4.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 PM

105 posts, read 94,746 times

Advertisements

Chicago (obv)

-Big Jump-

Minneapolis
St Louis
Detroit

-Big Jump-

Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Cleveland
Columbus
Milwaukee
Ann Arbor

-The Rest-

May have missed one that I meant to add, but I seem content with that order.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
It doesn't suck in the least bit. It's just not a city I'm interested in visiting as a tourist. When I travel to Cleveland it is to see family.
Did you do anything in Cleveland besides visit family?

Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If you ask anyone not from the Midwest, and ask them where they would visit out of those cities, Chicago will be the only answer, I'd say 98% of the time.

These cities just don't have much of a tourist draw at all, other than Chicago.

Kansas City maybe 2nd, but it could also be Indianapolis or Cincinnati--maybe St Louis for the arch, but that's it. The midwest just isn't a vacation spot aside from Chicago.
When my family from Toronto comes to visit me they always play tourist in Cleveland. There are many, many popular vacation spots here and in the Midwest besides Chicago where I was born and raised.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When my family from Toronto comes to visit me they always play tourist in Cleveland. There are many, many popular vacation spots here and in the Midwest besides Chicago where I was born and raised.
I agree tht Chicago is not the only place, but for an extended vacation it really is the only place that you could stay in for a 5 day stay and not get bored. I have been to Cleveland several times on business, and stopped over once for vacation, and really besides the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a brief shoot through Tower City and the Square, maybe doing a show at Playhouse Square there is really nothing to do, (maybe hitting an Indians game?) Downtown has had a rejuvination of sorts lately that benefits the locals,but for a tourist, lets be honest, Minervah. What did you want your family to do with you when they visited, watch TV?

During the summer especially, Chicago has a million things to do, just museums and festivals would keep you busy for a week without shopping, Navy Pier, Willis Tower and the Hancock, a million restaurants, the beach etc. Thats why the honest poll reflects that, and I really can't understand the 41% that voted otherwise.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
The question should be,...where besides Chicago. Chicago has more to do than several cities combined!

Who is going to say, "Hey honey, lets go to Cleveland or St Louis for vacation this summer?" The answer is nothing like Chicago. Some other towns may have a 200 mile regional draw, but Chicago is a national and international draw.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:31 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The question should be,...where besides Chicago. Chicago has more to do than several cities combined!

Who is going to say, "Hey honey, lets go to Cleveland or St Louis for vacation this summer?" The answer is nothing like Chicago. Some other towns may have a 200 mile regional draw, but Chicago is a national and international draw.
I'd be interested to see the OP do another poll w/o Chicago in it. As stated previous the outcome of this was pretty well predictable.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
St. Louis has a lot of tourist things to do.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:31 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I agree tht Chicago is not the only place, but for an extended vacation it really is the only place that you could stay in for a 5 day stay and not get bored. I have been to Cleveland several times on business, and stopped over once for vacation, and really besides the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a brief shoot through Tower City and the Square, maybe doing a show at Playhouse Square there is really nothing to do, (maybe hitting an Indians game?) Downtown has had a rejuvination of sorts lately that benefits the locals,but for a tourist, lets be honest, Minervah. What did you want your family to do with you when they visited, watch TV?

During the summer especially, Chicago has a million things to do, just museums and festivals would keep you busy for a week without shopping, Navy Pier, Willis Tower and the Hancock, a million restaurants, the beach etc. Thats why the honest poll reflects that, and I really can't understand the 41% that voted otherwise.
Depends how long was your visit and it sounds like to me you only stuck to Downtown and that was it. You didn't venture anywhere outside of that area (I could be wrong). There are neighborhoods like University Circle, Little Italy, Ohio City and E. 6th St. and the Natural History Museum, Art Museum and Western Reserve Historical Society, West Side Market as well as national parks, bars and restaurants. If you're vegan, Cleveland was recently named one of the top Vegan cities by PETA. Also, if you're a biker, there's an indoor bike park.

I'm not trying to give the Destination Cleveland commercial here just trying to let you know that there is more and give you the other side of the story. No, I'm not trying to compare Cleveland to Chicago, I enjoy visiting Chicago but I don't want Cleveland to be a carbon copy of Chicago, There's enough cities out there trying to be carbon copies of each other; we don't need anymore. A lot of us are guilty of assuming that if a city is not hyped up or the media darling then it must be bad or not a whole lot. But, we have to realize that sometimes you have to look for things yourself and not go by hearsay or assumptions. The 41% that voted other cities also had to do some digging for themselves and found something in those cities.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

meh I am personally more interested in smaller cities. Big city amenities are pretty much the same and their cultures are homogenizing at a rapid clip. If I were doing a trip, I'd take Louisville over Chicago. There is nothing in Chicago that New York doesn't do better. And I don't really like NYC either that much.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Depends how long was your visit and it sounds like to me you only stuck to Downtown and that was it. You didn't venture anywhere outside of that area (I could be wrong). There are neighborhoods like University Circle, Little Italy, Ohio City and E. 6th St. and the Natural History Museum, Art Museum and Western Reserve Historical Society, West Side Market as well as national parks, bars and restaurants. If you're vegan, Cleveland was recently named one of the top Vegan cities by PETA. Also, if you're a biker, there's an indoor bike park.

I'm not trying to give the Destination Cleveland commercial here just trying to let you know that there is more and give you the other side of the story. No, I'm not trying to compare Cleveland to Chicago, I enjoy visiting Chicago but I don't want Cleveland to be a carbon copy of Chicago, There's enough cities out there trying to be carbon copies of each other; we don't need anymore. A lot of us are guilty of assuming that if a city is not hyped up or the media darling then it must be bad or not a whole lot. But, we have to realize that sometimes you have to look for things yourself and not go by hearsay or assumptions. The 41% that voted other cities also had to do some digging for themselves and found something in those cities.
I really don't understand the notion that there is nothing to do in Cleveland. Do a Lake Erie/Cuyahoga River cruise and watch all the bridges go down and up. Rent a kayak. Chill at Edgewater. Play volleyball at Whisky Island. Hit up some breweries. Drop in gems like the Euclid Arcade, Cleveland Public Library, St John the Evangelist Cathedral. Go to a game. You could easily spend a day in Ohio City and University Circle each as well, that is, for anyone who has a modicum of interest in things or any type of curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City