Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which transit system? (pick two)
Atlanta MARTA 56 50.00%
Dallas DART 29 25.89%
Denver RTD 21 18.75%
Miami Metro/Trirail 10 8.93%
San Diego Transit (SD Trolley, Coaster, Sprinter) 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You might be confused.

The stuck boring machine was for a highway, which is now open. We're currently demoing the highway it replaced.

Some metros with pre-1980 rail have horrible transit ridership...Atlanta for example. Seattle's transit ridership is in another league (ours is sorta ok, Atlanta's is pretty bad, LA's is similar to Atlanta's...).

Sea-Tac Airport has pretty good rail connections...you can easily walk from the terminal, it's reasonably fast and frequent..
I stand corrected on the boring machine but not about rail line miles for Seattle. Seattle rail length I don't believe surpasses that of Denver and certainly not Los Angeles County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 04:17 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Denver and LA have lots of rail...but poor overall transit ridership compared to Seattle.

Within the city limits, Denver's transit commute share was literally 1/3 Seattle's in the last Census ACS. It also does poorly at the metro level.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Denver and LA have lots of rail...but poor overall transit ridership compared to Seattle.

Within the city limits, Denver's transit commute share was literally 1/3 Seattle's in the last Census ACS. It also does poorly at the metro level.
Seattle's highway infrastructure is also hot garbage compared to Denver (and LA. to a lesser extent).

Old 07-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Yes, and we're moving faster to de-emphasize cars from real estate. New office buildings in the urban core are allowed to have about one parking space per five or six workers but some build less. A lot of apartments go up without parking, or with a fraction of what they'd do in many cities. Basically developers are allowed to decide what to build, vs. the local governments mandating tons of parking. This reflects what residents actually want, and creates a cycle where people choose to skip the car and save money, then use transit or Uber or walk.

Also every major employer is required to proactively encourage other ways of getting to work. So you get suburban campuses like Microsoft's HQ where 60% drive alone instead of probably 80-90% for an equivalent in other cities.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, and we're moving faster to de-emphasize cars from real estate. New office buildings in the urban core are allowed to have about one parking space per five or six workers but some build less. A lot of apartments go up without parking, or with a fraction of what they'd do in many cities. Basically developers are allowed to decide what to build, vs. the local governments mandating tons of parking. This reflects what residents actually want, and creates a cycle where people choose to skip the car and save money, then use transit or Uber or walk.

Also every major employer is required to proactively encourage other ways of getting to work. So you get suburban campuses like Microsoft's HQ where 60% drive alone instead of probably 80-90% for an equivalent in other cities.
And while that's awesome, my point still stands. If Denver's highways were as god awful as Seattle's, we'd have much higher ridership here, too.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean if you're handicapped.

I find it a pretty short walk by travel standards, but then I'm used to walking everywhere, and I keep my luggage down to a carry on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's similar to what people walking to their cars have to do at every airport. I'd call that reasonable.
Reasonable, sure. Convenient? Not really. It's a 1/4 mile plus walk through the parking garage to the far end of the terminal. Devner's A-Line drops you off at the base of the Westin Hotel, which is connected to the terminal. That, to me, is convenient.

Old 07-28-2019, 05:58 PM

You walk around the perimeter of the garage.

As for Denver's transit, despite the pretty rail system, it's not so good with spreading buses to every corner...that's where Seattle kills it, while also having other differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City