Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which transit system? (pick two)
Atlanta MARTA 56 50.00%
Dallas DART 29 25.89%
Denver RTD 21 18.75%
Miami Metro/Trirail 10 8.93%
San Diego Transit (SD Trolley, Coaster, Sprinter) 19 16.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:39 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised DART is being voted this high.

Not that I think less of the system, I think it's great, especially compared to most Sunbelt cities.

But I'm surprised because this is City-Data after all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised DART is being voted this high.

Not that I think less of the system, I think it's great, especially compared to most Sunbelt cities.

But I'm surprised because this is City-Data after all...
I think it is impressive that they are building a separate line from Plano to DFW airport that doesn't traverse through the core with a focus on intra-suburban transit. That's unusual. I wonder what the ridership #s will be.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Hard to believe Miami which is only one of the two cities with heavy rail is losing this poll.
People's cluelessness about Florida cities becomes more and more apparent with each new thread it seems. I am surprised as well.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
People's cluelessness about Florida cities becomes more and more apparent with each new thread it seems. I am surprised as well.
No it's not that. As stated previously people just easily dismiss Miami because there is no train to the primary attraction which is the beach. That really is a huge gap in the system. Atlanta generally has better overall coverage.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:25 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
If your idea of outstanding mass transit is buses, then you aren't anywhere close to the level you and other Seattle homers think you are.
You didn't read very carefully. I didn't say "outstanding" or anything like it. Seattle has sub-par transit. But it's much better than these cities, or MSP for that matter. It's not hard to beat cities like those.

A system focused on buses won't be outstanding, but, aided by HOV lanes and decent frequencies etc., it can bring decent ridership. That's with only the initial segments of our $70 billion in voter-approved rail-centered upgrades.

The city of Minneapolis had 13.4% transit commute share in 2013-2017, while Seattle was 21.4%.

Do you have actual points, or are we just going off your misreadings?

Old 04-04-2019, 01:28 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
No it's not that. As stated previously people just easily dismiss Miami because there is no train to the primary attraction which is the beach. That really is a huge gap in the system. Atlanta generally has better overall coverage.
I agree with Atlanta, but that's about it.

While SoBe may indeed be a "primary attraction," let's not act like Downtown, Wynwood, Brickell, etc., isn't one either. The system covers those areas pretty extensively (and beyond.)
Transit is generally used by locals, and most aren't working and/or living in SoBe.
If anything, there are buses and ferries that can take you there, if one so chooses to.

I find Miami's transit system to be severely underrated -- and underused.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:33 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Correct—one can access rail in greater Miami to frequent portions of South Miami, Dadeland, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Vizcaya Museum, Brickell, Downtown Miami, Bayside Marketplace, American Airlines Arena, Perez Art Museum, Frost Science Museum, Univ of Miami Hospital/Health Center, Miami International Airport, Hialeah, Palmetto, and points North (Hollywood, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach).

Quote:

While SoBe may indeed be a "primary attraction," let's not act like Downtown, Wynwood, Brickell, etc., isn't one either. The system covers those areas pretty extensively (and beyond.)
Transit is generally used by locals, and most aren't working and/or living in SoBe.
If anything, there are buses and ferries that can take you there, if one so chooses to.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:59 PM

142 posts, read 93,548 times
A big problem I've noticed in Atlanta, is that even though MARTA is heavy rail with a decent amount of coverage, there just aren't that many people who BOTH live and work within walking distance from a stop. Chances are for a lot of people, unless you live just a couple of minutes walk to a stop and your office happens to be located a couple of minutes walk from another stop, it just isn't worth it even if the traffic is a nightmare. The few people who happen to be conveniently located to actually benefit from the system on their daily routine seem to love it. Unfortunately a system has to be extremely good before a critical mass of people will actually have the option to conveniently use it in day to day life.

(Not knocking Atlanta here, I think of all the systems in this poll, MARTA is the one with the most potential to expand to be a part of everyday life).

Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM

413 posts, read 323,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You didn't read very carefully. I didn't say "outstanding" or anything like it. Seattle has sub-par transit. But it's much better than these cities, or MSP for that matter. It's not hard to beat cities like those.

A system focused on buses won't be outstanding, but, aided by HOV lanes and decent frequencies etc., it can bring decent ridership. That's with only the initial segments of our $70 billion in voter-approved rail-centered upgrades.

The city of Minneapolis had 13.4% transit commute share in 2013-2017, while Seattle was 21.4%.

Do you have actual points, or are we just going off your misreadings?

I never made any claims about the sufficiency or not of MSP's transit. That always seems to be your approach when replying to criticism about how perfect Seattle is. From what I hear, your homeless problem is out of control, drug use is rampant and housing costs have skyrocketed, pricing many people out of home affordability.

You are quite a defensive little thing...

Old 04-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:

OK fair enough. Just wondering is there much TOD and residential growth around the Metrorail stations outside of the core?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City