Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post

Monterrey, which is the least dense of the four major Mexican urban areas is probably still a good candidate and potentially a lock for Top 10 in North America by density, or at least in the sphere of Canada-Mexico-United States it definitely is (unsure on the Central American and Caribbean American cities for the time being).

Yes, when I started reading I was thinking that you are sleeping on the Caribbean cities. Port Au Prince should be the most dense UA in North America over 1M. Santo Domingo and Kingston should be in the top 10. San Juan and Havana has lost their power.
But yeah, even after all the hurricanes, earthquakes and mudslides Port Au Prince is more dense than Mexico City. Santo Domingo should be too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 02:26 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Do research online and calculate the numbers,and you'll see that in actuality L.A's Urban Population has surpassed or is really close to NYC's Urban Population,but because NYC includes the States of New Jersey,Connecticut and Pennsylvania into it's metro area is what keeps it ahead of L.A.

Here's another interesting population number i'll post for you and for others to note.

State of New York Population (19,849,399)
City of New York Population (8,622,698)

New York City MSA (20,320,876)
New York City CSA (23,876,155)

As you can see these MSA and CSA numbers for New York City is larger than even the entire population of the State of New York which I find very strange,but it helps keep it ahead of L.A.

Here's the population numbers just for the L.A Urban Area (18,788,800)
Now look at the comparison on how close the gap is between the 2 metro's...The Urban Area of L.A alone is close to the population of the entire State of New York,but smaller than NYC's MSA or CSA because it includes NJ,PA,CT.

L.A's Metro or Urban Area remain within it's state's boundaries,while NYC might as well include the entire Northeast with it's strange method

The major difference between the 2 is NYC's population is more concentrated within a smaller area and has tons of High Rises within that smaller area,while L.A's population is more spread out with a smaller Skyline than NYC.

So in other words the gap between NYC and L.A is much closer than what it appears to most people.
The state’s fairly sizable, but not that densely populated outside of NYC, and to a much lesser extent, NY counties near or abutting the city.

NYC is just across the border from northern New Jersey and Manhattan to Connecticut is about the distance between downtown LA and Pomona within LA county and there’s actually frequent and fast commuter rail between the coastal cities of CT and Manhattan while Northern New Jersey has both rapid transit subways and frequent and fast commuter rail to Manhattan. Northern New Jersey and coastal CT cities are pretty densely populated compared to much of upstate NY. Does that help clear the confusion?

Think of Manhattan as the center of a circle. That 360 degrees around that center, has about a 45 degree arc that goes into NY state up north and maybe a 30 degree arc that going into Long Island. The New Jersey takes something like a 150 degree arc and the CT side takes something like a 30 degree arc. The remainder is bodies of water. Does that help?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-14-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think I understand what you're saying, so let me try to say it to check. It's essentially that if you take the land area numbers as essentially being flat, then if you have elevation, that actually increases the surface are--a simplified version of this is to take a 2D cross-section of a hill, which to make it easy, make it a triangle with a bottom one edge "flat" representing a length of land were it flat. The other two edges which make up this triangular hill have a combined greater length than that bottom base edge. I think that's where you're going with this, right?

If that's where you're going, then my argument for why that's essentially the same building space for a hilly and a flat surface is because we build things to be level, so if we're using that 2D cross section again, essentially what you get for the buildable area has the look of a step function and essentially covers the same length as the bottom base edge of the triangle. However, streets and sidewalks are still going to slope though, so those cover additional distances--just that the buildings do not.
Hmmm. Sounds like we agree that hills add more surface area and that a walk over a hill is longer than a straight walk but somehow we have a disconnect on the housing that occupies the land. Think of it this way. Imagine a new house every 50 feet. The longer the distance the more houses no matter what the angle of the houses as long as their walls are parallel. And hills have more distance than flat between two points.

Edit to say that I think that I get it now. I think that you're correct.

Last edited by 2Easy; 04-14-2019 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: See post

Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Hmmm. Sounds like we agree that hills add more surface area and that a walk over a hill is longer than a straight walk but somehow we have a disconnect on the housing that occupies the land. Think of it this way. Imagine a new house every 50 feet. The longer the distance the more houses no matter what the angle of the houses as long as their walls are parallel. And hills have more distance than flat between two points.

Edit to say that I think that I get it now. I think that you're correct.
Yep! It’d be pretty rad if we built housing normal to the surface though. It would look insane.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
I wasn't talking about population density per square mile....I was talking about the actual population numbers.

I don't know why your bringing New Jersey into this,when this is about NYC and L.A....You don't see L.A bringing in Clark County,NV or Maricopa County,AZ into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Uh no. With the exception of northern NJ, the other states absolutely lower the average density of NYC to make it look less dense than it really is. Let's get real - anybody who has ever been to NYC would know this. LA area is dense due to sprawl. NYC and the areas surrounding it are by far the densest in the US.

Los Angeles county in 2017 has a population of 10,163,507 people and total land area of 4058 sq miles - a density of 2504.56 people per square mile.

- NYC: 8,622,698 people in 302.643 square miles - density of 28,491.3 people per square mile
- Hudson County, NJ: 691,643 people in 46.19 square miles - density of 14,973.87 people per square mile
- Bergen County, NJ: 948,406 people in 233 square miles - density of 4070 people per square mile

Population of NYC + Hudson and Bergen counties in NJ = 10,262,747 people (2017) in 581.833 square miles. Density of 17,638.65 people per square mile. This is almost the same population as Los Angeles County and the density is literally 7.04X higher than LA County.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about population density per square mile....I was talking about the actual population numbers.

I don't know why your bringing New Jersey into this,when this is about NYC and L.A....You don't see L.A bringing in Clark County,NV or Maricopa County,AZ into this.
Because the urban area, just like the msa, for NYC includes areas in New Jersey. Might want to brush up a bit on these things before entering into discussion about them. Urban Areas are about more than just the city proper.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM

324 posts, read 402,562 times
Quote:

SERIOUSLY?

New Jersey is right across the Hudson River from New York City whereas Clark County and Maricopa County are hundreds of miles from LA.

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT A MAP?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
SERIOUSLY?

New Jersey is right across the Hudson River from New York City whereas Clark County and Maricopa County are hundreds of miles from LA.

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED AT A MAP?
Clearly not. I live in Jersey City (Hudson County). Literally my barber is in Manhattan. I don't see people going from LA to Clark County for a haircut on a random night of the week.

LA to LV is a 270 mile drive. Lower Manhattan to Jersey City waterfront is literally a 1 mile ferry ride across the Hudson.

NYC to Boston is only a 211 mile drive. NYC to DC is only a 230 mile drive. Albany is only 145 miles. Therefore, if you want to include Clark County with the LA UA, NYC gets to add Boston, Hartford, Albany, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC...and then some.

Oh wait you wanna add Maricopa County now? Cool. That's 373 miles. NYC gets to add Pittsburgh (380), Montreal (363), Richmond (356), Buffalo and every other upstate metro since Buffalo is only 381 miles.

If that poster had any bit of geographical knowledge or common sense, they would be able to see how absolutely stupid their posts are.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Clearly not. I live in Jersey City (Hudson County). Literally my barber is in Manhattan. I don't see people going from LA to Clark County for a haircut on a random night of the week.

LA to LV is a 270 mile drive. Lower Manhattan to Jersey City waterfront is literally a 1 mile ferry ride across the Hudson.

NYC to Boston is only a 211 mile drive. NYC to DC is only a 230 mile drive. Albany is only 145 miles. Therefore, if you want to include Clark County with the LA UA, NYC gets to add Boston, Hartford, Albany, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC...and then some.

Oh wait you wanna add Maricopa County now? Cool. That's 373 miles. NYC gets to add Pittsburgh (380), Montreal (363), Richmond (356), Buffalo and every other upstate metro since Buffalo is only 381 miles.

If that poster had any bit of geographical knowledge or common sense, they would be able to see how absolutely stupid their posts are.
Toronto is clearly a Suburb of Buffalo. So it’s the 2nd largest city in America.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Toronto is clearly a Suburb of Buffalo. So it’s the 2nd largest city in America.
Can't disagree with that logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City