Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best NFL Draft host city
New York 19 18.63%
Chicago 18 17.65%
Philly 16 15.69%
Dallas 25 24.51%
Nashville 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 02:29 PM

14,215 posts, read 9,113,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's great optics for Detroit to showcase its revitalized downtown.

I wonder if the NFL has been intentionally choosing cities that have been marred in the press. so far, it's been Chicago, Vegas, Cleveland, Philly and now Detroit since they've made the owners select the venues.
Didn't the one in Philly predate the one in Kansas City?

I went to the Philly draft. That was quite a while ago now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 06:01 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,127,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Didn't the one in Philly predate the one in Kansas City?

I went to the Philly draft. That was quite a while ago now.
I didn't include Kansas City (and Nashville) because they aren't as frequently portrayed in negative light by the media as the other cities. As for Kansas City, the only criticisms I've heard are that it's in "flyover country," the different cannabis laws and the roads on the MO side are in poorer condition than those on the Kansas side; Lol, I'm sure you can confirm if it's true or not?

What's weird is how neither are the state capitals and how big Overland Park is for a suburb; it's bigger than KCK, an actual city.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:30 AM

14,215 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Quote:
I didn't include Kansas City (and Nashville) because they aren't as frequently portrayed in negative light by the media as the other cities. As for Kansas City, the only criticisms I've heard are that it's in "flyover country," the different cannabis laws and the roads on the MO side are in poorer condition than those on the Kansas side; Lol, I'm sure you can confirm if it's true or not?

What's weird is how neither are the state capitals and how big Overland Park is for a suburb; it's bigger than KCK, an actual city.
1) When I was growing up in KC, the saying was "Missouri is known for good roads and bad schools, and Kansas vice versa." The school districts in Johnson County, Kan., are still the best in the Greater Kansas City area* (especially Shawnee Mission Unified), but the roads in Kansas have indeed gotten better. I wouldn't say that Missouri's freeways are awful, however. The state highways, OTOH, could use some work, while those in Kansas are in better shape. (Kansas' state highway number signs — yellow sunflowers, natch — are among the coolest in the country.)

2) As I think you've heard me say before, John Guinther said of Kansas City, Mo., in 1948 that it's "the capital of a state it isn't even in." Overland Park had barely 60,000 souls in it when I was a kid, and it was clearly a suburb then. Kansas City, Kan., OTOH, had about 120,000 residents and most of the Kansas City area's heavy industry (though there were a steel mill, two auto assembly plants and a truck assembly plant in the Missouri city). OP has become the area's principal edge city while KCK has stagnated (it added about 40,000 residents to its tally in the 1970 census after annexing the new suburban developments to the west of the old western city limit. Merging with its county in 1997 didn't add to its population at all; in fact, it fell during the 1990s).

When I was growing up there, Kansas' five largest cities, in order of population, were Wichita, Kansas City, Topeka, Overland Park and Lawrence. OP is now #2, with KC and Topeka each moving down one spot. Topeka, the actual state capital, is a mere hour west of Kansas City, however, and I consider it the westernmost part of the Northeast Kansas conurbation that includes Lawrence, KC, JoCo, Leavenworth and Atchison. Lawrence's population should cross the 100k threshold by the next Census.

Edited to add: Can't speak on the cannabis laws. Maybe something I should look into when next I head Back Home.

*Though the faith-based "job creation" strategy of former Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback seriously harmed the budgets of those school districts, the state universities and the state treasury. Things got so bad that the legislature, controlled entirely by his own party, raised taxes then overrode the Governor's veto of the tax hike.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:56 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Quote:

I wonder if the NFL has been intentionally choosing cities that have been marred in the press. so far, it's been Chicago, Vegas, Cleveland, Philly and now Detroit since they've made the owners select the venues.
I think people are going to be surprised when they see what Detroit is like now, it should be a great event for the city and the attendees.

For the future I would like to see it happen in Miami, NOT South Beach (which is actually the city of Miami Beach) but in the actual city of Miami downtown. Again, another eye-opener for most probably.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:17 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,427,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think people are going to be surprised when they see what Detroit is like now, it should be a great event for the city and the attendees.

For the future I would like to see it happen in Miami, NOT South Beach (which is actually the city of Miami Beach) but in the actual city of Miami downtown. Again, another eye-opener for most probably.
I hope they choose to show Detroit in a positive light. Downtown has a number of projects that are impacting its street activity. Detroit already has a healthy mix redevelopment and it will be nice for people to see who have not visited the area in a while.

https://www.detroitchamber.com/major...troit-in-2024/

Old 02-29-2024, 07:13 AM

3,474 posts, read 3,392,534 times
Quote:

If NFL is using this criteria, maybe future NFL drafts should be hosted in Memphis and/or Baltimore? These 2 cities never seem to get any good press, and only bad press unfortunately.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:34 AM

461 posts, read 354,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
If NFL is using this criteria, maybe future NFL drafts should be hosted in Memphis and/or Baltimore? These 2 cities never seem to get any good press, and only bad press unfortunately.
I dunno, over the last 10 years Detroit has seen quite a bit of positive press. Certainly compared to Baltimore and Memphis I'd say. Detroit's looked pretty darn good in the city shots they show during NFL games etc. I think the biggest challenge will be the variability in Michigan's late April weather. It'll either be 72 and sunny, or 42 and rainy. If it's 42 and rainy it'll be more of a yuck fest no matter how good Detroit looks.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:00 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,346,403 times
Quote:
Baltimore has been flying really low on the radar as of late (for the better). There’s a lot of development in the city and the homicide rate is continuing to fall. Coupled that with DC’s current woah’s and the city is receiving a lot of positive windfall right now.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Baltimore throws its ring in the hat for a NFL draft in the near future.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:34 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,449,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
Even if that were the case I'd bet a lot of folks were hesistant to travel.
That definitely could've been a factor, but there are some who made up their minds and felt the Draft was gonna be nothing because it was in Cleveland.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:36 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,449,481 times
Quote:
Memphis doesn't have an NFL team, Nashville does. Where would the put the Draft and the activites at in Memphis? They want the Draft to be in cities with NFL teams. The only non-NFL city that would get picked to host it is probably Canton, Ohio because the Pro Football Hall of Fame is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City