Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best NFL Draft host city
New York 19 18.63%
Chicago 18 17.65%
Philly 16 15.69%
Dallas 25 24.51%
Nashville 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I'm saying 'hate' from the Cleveland perspective because every time Cleveland has been selected for an events like the NFL Draft, NBA All Star Game or the RNC people from other cities will pile on Cleveland with the jokes and scorn on social media in a minute and lot of it isn't light-hearted banter.

They didn't do that to Nashville, Philly, Vegas, Dallas or Chicago because they're the "hot, cool and hip" cities. Of course, Denver didn't mind losing to Nashville because that's the "hot" city, but when Cleveland got picked for the 2021 Draft some of the folks from Denver went in. For example, one person Tweeted saying that Denver should've got over Cleveland because Colorado is one of the top cities that people are living in. Folks on social media feel that it's an embarrassment for 27 other cities to lose to Cleveland of all cities because a lot of them still have that "Mistake on the Lake", industrial image embedded in their heads. I say it's a big deal for some people in those cities while isn't a big deal for others in those cities.
It seems by this post that Cleveland has some issues with public perception. What do you believe it will take for Cleveland's negative image to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:10 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
I'm saying 'hate' from the Cleveland perspective because every time Cleveland has been selected for an events like the NFL Draft, NBA All Star Game or the RNC people from other cities will pile on Cleveland with the jokes and scorn on social media in a minute and lot of it isn't light-hearted banter.

They didn't do that to Nashville, Philly, Vegas, Dallas or Chicago because they're the "hot, cool and hip" cities. Of course, Denver didn't mind losing to Nashville because that's the "hot" city, but when Cleveland got picked for the 2021 Draft some of the folks from Denver went in. For example, one person Tweeted saying that Denver should've got over Cleveland because Colorado is one of the top cities that people are living in. Folks on social media feel that it's an embarrassment for 27 other cities to lose to Cleveland of all cities because a lot of them still have that "Mistake on the Lake", industrial image embedded in their heads. I say it's a big deal for some people in those cities while isn't a big deal for others in those cities.
At this point, I really can't worry about what other people say about Cleveland. So many cities have their share of problems and insecurities ... Cleveland is no different... The 'Mistake on the Lake' and Cuyahoga River caught on fire crowd is so old and so out of touch/out of date, they themselves are the joke, not Cleveland. Folks from other cities ragging on Cleveland when the city wins major entities and events like the NFL draft, the RNC (and Cleveland was in the top running for both conventions, just that the DNC turned away when the RNC beat them to the punch), the International Gay Games, the Rock & Roll HOF, etc., is usually just sour grapes -- these 'haters' make more of a joke of themselves than the City itself. I'm much more gratified by the several big-time choosers actually choosing Cleveland for these things in the first place, which would not have happened a couple decades ago when the city was really down in the dumps. Their actions speak a whole lot more than the words of the so-called haters.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It seems by this post that Cleveland has some issues with public perception. What do you believe it will take for Cleveland's negative image to change?
I had to think long and hard before I could answer because i know Cleveland isn't your cup of tea. I say, it's 50/50; it's gonna take Cleveland and the public will have to change their perception. As far as Cleveland, the city has to curve its issues like crime, jobs and public schools. But, also Cleveland has to do a better job of marketing itself and its assets to the masses; the city keeps its assets a secret like the Lakefront, the growing foodie scene, Playhouse Square (which is the 2nd largest theatre district in the country behind Broadway), the growing healthcare and biotech industries. All cities have things they thrive in, and have some thing where they come up short in just like your beloved Nashville. Also, people are victims of "mesofacts" meaning that if something isn't changing at a rapid pace it's often ignored.

With the public, they still have the perception of Cleveland being industrial, factories and smokestacks, and the river that caught on fire (Mistake by the Lake). A lot of them only have the national media or YouTube "Hastily Cleveland Tourism" video version of Cleveland and most people have clung to the stereotypes. Also, the city was the butt of jokes for many years thanks to late-night talk shows and comedians. Most people who have dogged Cleveland have never set foot in the city; they're going by the media, social media, jokes, sports or hearsay. When people have visited Cleveland, most of them leave the city very surprised.

For example, the delegates for the RNC had those same reactions about Cleveland when they announced that the city had been picked. But, once they touched down in the city they were surprised by the food and things to do. Plus, it's been embedded in America's conscious was that Cleveland isn't a vacation/tourist destination since you can do most of the same stuff in glitzier and more glamorous cities. That's why there was a lot of vitriol from people from other cities when Cleveland was picked for the 20121 NFL Draft because in their minds the NFL did a great job of putting it in cities that are "cool and hip" or "cities that everybody wants to go to." But, after 2020 in Vegas, they feel putting it in Cleveland is going to be a letdown. In their minds, "Why would you go from Vegas to The Mistake By the Lake" for the NFL Draft? But, the more people visit Cleveland, the more most of their perceptions start to change.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
I had to think long and hard before I could answer because i know Cleveland isn't your cup of tea. I say, it's 50/50; it's gonna take Cleveland and the public will have to change their perception. As far as Cleveland, the city has to curve its issues like crime, jobs and public schools. But, also Cleveland has to do a better job of marketing itself and its assets to the masses; the city keeps its assets a secret like the Lakefront, the growing foodie scene, Playhouse Square (which is the 2nd largest theatre district in the country behind Broadway), the growing healthcare and biotech industries. All cities have things they thrive in, and have some thing where they come up short in just like your beloved Nashville. Also, people are victims of "mesofacts" meaning that if something isn't changing at a rapid pace it's often ignored.

With the public, they still have the perception of Cleveland being industrial, factories and smokestacks, and the river that caught on fire (Mistake by the Lake). A lot of them only have the national media or YouTube "Hastily Cleveland Tourism" video version of Cleveland and most people have clung to the stereotypes. Also, the city was the butt of jokes for many years thanks to late-night talk shows and comedians. Most people who have dogged Cleveland have never set foot in the city; they're going by the media, social media, jokes, sports or hearsay. When people have visited Cleveland, most of them leave the city very surprised.

For example, the delegates for the RNC had those same reactions about Cleveland when they announced that the city had been picked. But, once they touched down in the city they were surprised by the food and things to do. Plus, it's been embedded in America's conscious was that Cleveland isn't a vacation/tourist destination since you can do most of the same stuff in glitzier and more glamorous cities. That's why there was a lot of vitriol from people from other cities when Cleveland was picked for the 20121 NFL Draft because in their minds the NFL did a great job of putting it in cities that are "cool and hip" or "cities that everybody wants to go to." But, after 2020 in Vegas, they feel putting it in Cleveland is going to be a letdown. In their minds, "Why would you go from Vegas to The Mistake By the Lake" for the NFL Draft? But, the more people visit Cleveland, the more most of their perceptions start to change.
It sounds like Cleveland has a lot of work to do. I was there a week after the RNC and it was a nice setting. The people were down to earth. It is not might favorite city, but definitely not the least.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It sounds like Cleveland has a lot of work to do. I was there a week after the RNC and it was a nice setting. The people were down to earth. It is not might favorite city, but definitely not the least.
Cleveland has started the work over a decade ago, but it hasn't gained enough momentum on a grand scale for the public to get hip to it yet. Plus, Clevelanders have to do its job by spreading word about the good things in the city.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
On city data, people often only look at what is on paper when judging a city's livability.

I like Cleveland. It never made my list of relocation due to its location. I could tell when visiting a while back that it wasn't a bad place then and I could only assume it is only better.

People like what people like. Shakeesha likes Nashville. mjtinmemphis likes the rust belt culture and east coast urbanism. That is ok. What I hate is when people claim to be experts on a place they know very little about.

I am not for public funding PR campaigns, stadiums and corporate welfare for millionaires. I think Cleveland could benefit from a more boosterism approach to promoting it livability and the great things it has to offer.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:49 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I wonder how many cities claim some version of "second largest theater district".

And really none of them matter...they typically don't claim seats sold or anything about quality.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I wonder how many cities claim some version of "second largest theater district".

And really none of them matter...they typically don't claim seats sold or anything about quality.
No other cities have claimed to have the second largest theater district plus it's been proven that Cleveland's Playhouse Square is the second largest theater district. Playhouse Square is a big area with 10 theaters. Only theater district Cleveland loses to is Broadway and Lincoln Center in NYC.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
On city data, people often only look at what is on paper when judging a city's livability.

I like Cleveland. It never made my list of relocation due to its location. I could tell when visiting a while back that it wasn't a bad place then and I could only assume it is only better.

People like what people like. Shakeesha likes Nashville. mjtinmemphis likes the rust belt culture and east coast urbanism. That is ok. What I hate is when people claim to be experts on a place they know very little about.

I am not for public funding PR campaigns, stadiums and corporate welfare for millionaires. I think Cleveland could benefit from a more boosterism approach to promoting it livability and the great things it has to offer.
What would be your suggestions?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Whose bidding for the 2022 NFL draft. Next year it's in Vegas the following year Cleveland. I think they should have it in Nashville again within five years. I could see a place like New Orleans having a vibrant environment like Nashville did too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City