Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM

1,199 posts, read 728,492 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I am curious about STEM careers in LA for the future but am concerned about the cost of living. There are many complaints there about it being expensive.

What areas in LA are near the train / bus and comparable pricewise to West Farms, Mt Eden and Soundview in the Bronx, or City Line, Brownsville in Brooklyn? I am also interested in neighborhood amenities (Dollar Tree, Walmart, Family Dollar, Goodwill, Aldi).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,660,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Hi folks, I am curious about STEM careers in LA for the future but am concerned about the cost of living. There are many complaints there about it being expensive.

What areas in LA are near the train / bus and comparable pricewise to West Farms, Mt Eden and Soundview in the Bronx, or City Line, Brownsville in Brooklyn? I am also interested in neighborhood amenities (Dollar Tree, Walmart, Family Dollar, Goodwill, Aldi).
LA is cheaper than NYC as far as cost of housing, gasoline is fairly similar (both NY and CA have expensive gas), wages are slightly lower in southern CA compared to NYC, taxes are lower in California than NY.

You'd probably like the Silver Lake or Echo Park neighborhoods in LA, closest to what you're looking for I think

Old 05-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
LA is cheaper than NYC as far as cost of housing, gasoline is fairly similar (both NY and CA have expensive gas), wages are slightly lower in southern CA compared to NYC, taxes are lower in California than NY.

You'd probably like the Silver Lake or Echo Park neighborhoods in LA, closest to what you're looking for I think
Thanks, I'm going to look those up. My preferred average household income for a neighborhood, which indicates affordability, is 25,000-32,000 per year and prefer a 30+ % poverty rate for best prices.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to look those up. My preferred average household income for a neighborhood, which indicates affordability, is 25,000-32,000 per year and prefer a 30+ % poverty rate for best prices.
Oh, if that's the income you have to work with, look in South Central, still have rail access (the Blue Line and the Green Line), but you wouldn't afford Silver Lake or Echo Park with that low an income

Old 05-24-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, if that's the income you have to work with, look in South Central, still have rail access (the Blue Line and the Green Line), but you wouldn't afford Silver Lake or Echo Park with that low an income
South Central is linked to transit? Great! I am definitely going to look there if I transfer to a STEM job in LA. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 12 days ago)

8,405 posts, read 5,562,061 times
I would actually argue that, while LA isnt as expensive as the city of NYC, the area is much harder to live in on a lower income. NYC has suburbs in Jersey that are only a 30 minute train ride but very affordable. Everything in LA is pretty well more expensive than the Jersey suburbs.

If thats going to be your income, living in LA will be hard. People do it so its not impossible, but I would probably look in South Central as well. It has a notorious reputation which is unfair nowdays. I live in Houston but work in LA Monday-Thursday every week and I commute through there almost every day Im there. Ive never seen anything that I thought was earth shattering or that bothered me there. I sometimes stop there for dinner. There are parts of South Central to avoid (I wouldnt look anywhere near Watts), but the area just west of the 110 along Figueroa is just fine as far as Im concerned.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I would actually argue that, while LA isnt as expensive as the city of NYC, the area is much harder to live in on a lower income. NYC has suburbs in Jersey that are only a 30 minute train ride but very affordable. Everything in LA is pretty well more expensive than the Jersey suburbs.

If thats going to be your income, living in LA will be hard. People do it so its not impossible, but I would probably look in South Central as well. It has a notorious reputation which is unfair nowdays. I live in Houston but work in LA Monday-Thursday every week and I commute through there almost every day Im there. Ive never seen anything that I thought was earth shattering or that bothered me there. I sometimes stop there for dinner. There are parts of South Central to avoid (I wouldnt look anywhere near Watts), but the area just west of the 110 along Figueroa is just fine as far as Im concerned.
WTF holy chit you drive from Houston to LA? My friend used to commute to NYC from Philly one day a week and I was freaked out by that.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
WTF holy chit you drive from Houston to LA? My friend used to commute to NYC from Philly one day a week and I was freaked out by that.
I think he flies? That's over 1,200 miles

Old 05-25-2019, 09:42 AM

242 posts, read 175,323 times
Quote:

San Francisco is more expensive than both cities to be honest lol

But far as gasoline,Los Angeles gas is above New York because the city has the worst car traffic in the country..

New York depends more so on public transportation.
So things can be pretty expensive in LA if you're paying a $600 car note plus $250 insurance and $5.69 a gallon on gas.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
San Francisco is more expensive than both cities to be honest lol

But far as gasoline,Los Angeles gas is above New York because the city has the worst car traffic in the country..

New York depends more so on public transportation.
So things can be pretty expensive in LA if you're paying a $600 car note plus $250 insurance and $5.69 a gallon on gas.
I had no idea that the car note was that expensive. I thought a car purchase was a one and done thing. That's the cost of rent in many NYC towns within Mt Vernon, Yonkers, Newark etc, on a whole apartment and not just a room. That's crazy. Here in NYC my job gives me train passes so I can get around, although I live very far from the downtown area.

The COL in my neighborhood is probably similar to South Central except cultural wise it's like a cross between East LA, Rosemead, Little India and Little Africa. Many people in my area can't afford to take the train so they ride broken down childrens bikes if they're not going into Manhattan. Most people not only not drive but their parents can't drive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City